Sign in to follow this  
rightseat

Payware Devs, Please Read.

Now that ACES has been mothballed, we all wonder when there will be a new version of FS released. While FSX is great program, there are still many, many people who will not be moving to FSX, in favor of staying with FS9, because with today's faster hardware, FS9 is more enjoyable than ever. What I'm trying to say is, FS9 is going to be a viable, money-making platform for all developers until the end of the financial crisis, when ACES is reopened. It only makes sense to continue to develop your payware products with both FS9 and FSX compatability. Under the current economic conditions, many of us are unlikely to upgrade our hardware any time soon, so staying with FS9 makes good financial sense. Eventually, we will want newer planes, scenery, etc. (that's where you come in), but will be unlikely to be able to purchase newer software because so many developers are moving to a "FSX Only" position. I urge to you revisit this decision if your company has decided to move in that direction. FS9 will continue to have a very strong fan base and following now more than ever, until we all have job security again, and can make that multi-thousand dollar computer upgrade purchase most of us need to be able to enjoy FSX.This is, of course, only my opinion. I am no economic expert, and I am biased toward FS9 because of my current financial situation. Naturally, every payware company has the right to only develop FSX products from here on; I am merely urging them to reconsider their decision, hoping that new FS9 products will continue to emerge to the benefit of both developer's and consumer's bottom line.Thanks for your consideration.:-)

Hi rightseat. We are almost there for REX v.FS9 We are simmers as well, and fully understand. Plus I don't want to give up the thousands of dollars in payware add-ons I have for FS9 ;) as I still enjoy them.Cheers!

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

From my post the day Microsoft made their announcement....Sad to see Phil but not unexpected given the current economic conditions.You, Hal, Z, Singer, and the rest of the guys at the Studio have done an outstanding job on your outreach to developers and the community.Thanks for all of your efforts and let's hope there is a turnaround at some point in the future.Meantime, Team Eaglesoft will continue to develop for both FS9 and FSX Platforms as they are the only game in town at this point. Let me add that FS9 and FSX are both viable simulator platforms in their own right. :(

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Rightseat, I agree 100%. My rig will run FSX nicely (I built it with FSX in mind), but I just haven't been able to get excited about it. I still prefer FS9. I have quite a few payware additions and I expect to add more IF the developers will continue to support FS9. I understand there's a lot more involved with FSX add-ons, not to mention financial considerations, than with FS9 and some developers don't feel it's worth satisfying two platforms. If add-on prices are deemed too high, sales and profits will suffer. I, for one, wouldn't mind paying a little more to ensure a choice betwixt the two, but I'm only one voice in the wilderness.Anyway, that's my $0.02 worth. I don't have the answers. I just know I prefer FS9 and would love to see continued development and improvement to a fine platform.Bob

I've been "catching up" by buying many of the FS9 payware planes I never got around to owning. And there's several more still on my list. Anything new that gets developed for FS9 will also be eagerly scooped up.John

Looking at the new library files on Avsim each day there are always considerably more FS9 files than FSX ones.I'm sure most payware developers can also see this and will come to the sensible conclusion that FS9 remains a very popular simulator and the demand remains for new addons, maybe more than ever now we know there is no new version of FS for the foreseeable future.

I've been "catching up" by buying many of the FS9 payware planes I never got around to owning. And there's several more still on my list. Anything new that gets developed for FS9 will also be eagerly scooped up.John
I wonder if developers that are producing "FSX" products only, will change their mind and start looking at fs9 again. Now that FS11 is on hold, they may be forced too. Who knows?It appears their are still a few fs9 users out there.RJ

"I wonder if developers that are producing "FSX" products only, will change their mind and start looking at FS9.1 again"I think it would be a Good Business decision to re-think their FSX Only now statements.My PC and FS9.1 will have to last me a little while longer yet in the current and foreseeable climate, not to mention the fact that like so many others out there I have invested far too much money in FS9.1 add-ons to just dump them.

Hi.Since FSX has arrived, every single scenery we have released comes with two independent installers: one for FS9 and the other for FSX, at no extra charge.You order one, receive two.Double time to produce, double work to make each airport, double checks, double screenshots work, double compilation procedures, double SDKs to deal with, double stress charge, but... doubly satisfied users too :( This is how we'll continue to do things.My best regards,Carlos Pereira.www.tropicalsim.com

You know a good test of this would be to ask companies who sell FS9 and FSX versions of the same product to see just how big the FS9 market is compared to FSX. I bet the FS9 market still compares very well with the FSX market.

Guest Tingoose

I agree with the original poster as I am a fan of FS9 too and it certainly does run well on modern hardware and with the environment addons look fantastic. However I read on the Aerosoft forum, a comment by Mathjis Kok that FS9 users are not buying addons that much any more so they are concentrating on FSX. He is, I think, referring specifically to scenery addons. Here's the quote:" . . . The FS9 market simply is not big enough anymore for these kinds of things. I know there are still many FS9 pilots around, we meet them daily and in their hundreds at shows and meetings. But they don't buy a lot anymore. FSX users tend to spend a lot more on addons. Of course that is logical to a point, but that does not change the fact that development for FS2004 is commercially very hard at this moment. . . . ".and the link:http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=22699. Edited to add link.

But they don't buy a lot anymore. FSX users tend to spend a lot more on addons.
I have problems believing that statement. If I recall correctly Aerosoft were one of the first companies to start producing FSX only products very soon after the release of FSX. I'd even go so far as to say they seemed to ditch FS9 almost immediately after the release of FSX, and I believe I am right in saying they have produced not one FS9 aircraft since the release of FSX. If they don't produce so many FS9 products anymore and focus on FSX of course they are going to see more FSX sales! Aerosoft have never released FS9 versions of their new Beaver, Twin Otter, F-16, etc etc despite many requests from FS9 users.However, I have purchased all of the FS9 versions of their GAP2 series, and their Mega-Airport Series and I am happy they have continued to support FS9 with these products.

First, I want to say thanks to the developers who replied to the post. To those fine folks I say, "Thanks for your support and additional expense!" Secondly, I would be amazed to see that FS9 drivers weren't buying payware as much. I don't think Aerosoft's spokesperson is lying, but perhaps folks that can afford addons, can also afford great rigs that can handle FSX? I don't know, but I do know that I'm still buying FS9 addons, albeit at a more diminished rate due to the terrible exchange rate and the economic situation.Thirdly, keep responding to this thread so we can keep it up top. Perhaps other devs will see it and chime in as well.All the best, and have a great weekend, FS9 warriors!

I don't think Mathjis Kok is lying, I just don't think Aerosoft gave FS9 much of a chance after FSX was released. They were VERY quick to drop FS9 aircraft addons and focus solely on FSX aircraft. I suppose they believed that the FS customer base would quickly switch to the newer version (as has happened with previous releases), but of course we know a great many of us haven't switched to FSX for a great many reasons :)

Guest Dave March

We will definitely continue along the FS9 path because it is still my favourite sim :(