Sign in to follow this  
Guest CX355

FMS MD-11

Guest CX355

How does one compute the proper trim and flap setting for take-off.....I have not been able to find a chart etc. which provides these numbers

How does one compute the proper trim and flap setting for take-off.....I have not been able to find a chart etc. which provides these numbers
Once you have set the zfw, to cg and zfw cg in the fms you can go to the to/appr page and once you set the take off flap setting, temperature, and the take off winds it will compute the v speeds and also show the stab trim setting on the same page. (if you right click the buttons next to the zfw, to cg, and zfw cg it will automatically fill those spaces in for you.) I believe flaps 25 is normally set for take off. As far as charts I have not found any either.Andrew

Flaps 22 (Dial-A-Flap) is normal. And btw it's all explained in the great tutorial... :(

Guest CX355
Flaps 22 (Dial-A-Flap) is normal. And btw it's all explained in the great tutorial... :([/quote}]I have read the tutorial and have been reading the manuals etc.....I have been using flap 22 or 23 only because my loads and CG were close to the same. My question is if it isn't one of the above flap settings then how do you know when it is different. I am well versed on weight and balance but not with this particular acrft computing. Most airplanes come with a set of charts that will give you V speeds and trim settings for various weights. I understand that the FMS will compute all this once the flap is entered. Thank you for your response, But it does not answer the question

Flaps 22 (Dial-A-Flap) is normal. And btw it's all explained in the great tutorial... :(
I have read the tutorial and have been reading the manuals etc.....I have been using flap 22 or 23 only because my loads and CG were close to the same. My question is if it isn't one of the above flap settings then how do you know when it is different. I am well versed on weight and balance but not with this particular acrft computing. Most airplanes come with a set of charts that will give you V speeds and trim settings for various weights. I understand that the FMS will compute all this once the flap is entered. Thank you for your response, But it does not answer the question
O, I'm sorry, my reply ('Flaps 22 (Dial-A-Flap) is normal.') was meant for sai87 who said 'I believe flaps 25 is normally set for take off'. It wasn't meant as a reply to your post! I should have used a quote. The second part of my reply was some sort of answer to both but that indeed didn't answer your question, because what you really asked can't be found on the tutorial. My bad. But indeed proper trim (and V-speeds) are calculated when you enter (amongst others) the flap setting into the MCDU, which is normally 22. So flaps settings aren't computed: the setting is used to compute the rest.

Guest CX355
I have read the tutorial and have been reading the manuals etc.....I have been using flap 22 or 23 only because my loads and CG were close to the same. My question is if it isn't one of the above flap settings then how do you know when it is different. I am well versed on weight and balance but not with this particular acrft computing. Most airplanes come with a set of charts that will give you V speeds and trim settings for various weights. I understand that the FMS will compute all this once the flap is entered. Thank you for your response, But it does not answer the questionO, I'm sorry, my reply ('Flaps 22 (Dial-A-Flap) is normal.') was meant for sai87 who said 'I believe flaps 25 is normally set for take off'. It wasn't meant as a reply to your post! I should have used a quote. The second part of my reply was some sort of answer to both but that indeed didn't answer your question, because what you really asked can't be found on the tutorial. My bad. But indeed proper trim (and V-speeds) are calculated when you enter (amongst others) the flap setting into the MCDU, which is normally 22. So flaps settings aren't computed: the setting is used to compute the rest.
No problem, I have found out that their are companies who use a standard flap regardless.....so I guess it may not be that critical as long as you meet trim stab settings and performance data, eg. rwy length etc. with flap dailed......always appreciate response..Hercules