Sign in to follow this  
Guest dykesc

Ridge Lift

Guest dykesc

Taken in interest in soaring. Saw a topic earlier on the ability of ASA to generate ridge lift, but the topic died off with no definitive answers. Set up 50kt winds against mountains west of Boulder CO using Wx Config feature of ASA. Could not discern any lift generation. Tried with DWC ON and OFF. Anybody had any success soaring and picking up ridge lift? I've got lift generation slider set at 100% under the Thermals tab of ASA. Also got max updraft at 2000 fpm. Thanks in advance for replies.

Guest dykesc

The slider settings mentioned in my previous post were set under the Winds tab not the Thermals tab. My mistake.

Guest dykesc

Never got ridge lift to work in ASA Jaggy. I downloaded an app called CumulusX which does a good job generating thermals and ridge lift. For CumulusX to work it has to have a terrain slope and elevation data set which can be downloaded for various parts of the world or you can download and install Sim_Probe which reads the terrain directly from FSX and passes data along to CumulusX.Beware - Installation of these two apps is not via a simple installer. They are add ons that end up in the FSX modules folder. Some FSX files are replaced so you have to backup the original files. If you follow the two readme files that come with the apps, you can get it done right. Just be careful.Working fine with just FSX running and real weather downloaded via FSX. Looks like excellent thermals and ridge lift modeling to me.Haven't been able to fly much with ASA running to see how they "play" together. Hopefully I'll be able to keep ASA running without conflicts and everything will stay well behaved.

I have to be honest. I have owned in every form Active Sky at one point or another. I did pay full price for this package, as I believe in supporting developers. I'm very dissapointed at the lack of definitive answer and inability to get what I consider an advertised feature and core feature of this package to work, and it appears I am not alone.Please gentlemen, get this working in the next update. I wouldn't have made the jump if it wasn't for this feature, and I have been a bit dissapointed with ASA regarding performance ever since I got it.Sorry for the rant and I hope you understand my frustration.

- Cody Bergland

(Owner, Jaggyroad Films)

Our YouTube Channel (featuring over 100 OFFICIAL product videos):

https://www.youtube.com/user/valkyrie321 <- CLICK HERE

JaggyroadSig.jpg

Hi All,What I know right now is that there have been posts here that show that things work well. However, I will mark this thread for the team to look at.Thanks,

Guest dykesc

Thanks for the help Jim. Maybe something will turn up. No pun intended lol.