Sign in to follow this  
mikkel

Before I buy...

Today I will probably buy the MD11. Not beacause I'm really interested in this plane (it's dangerous btw.;). But more because I would like to try the features and support PMDG. There are really no good short/medium haul airplanes for FSX. The closest to a good one, is the captainsim 757 (a really good product I belive), but in Europe the 757's are mostly used for transatlantic flights.I think it was a mistake by PMDG to spend so much resources to develop _two_ long hauls for FSX. When there are so few options for short/medium hauls.I'm looking forward to the 737 NGX with great interest, but i hope it will take PMDG less than 4 years until it's finished.So, when I buy the MD 11 later today, it's not because I'm really interested in this long haul plane, it's more because I would like to support PMDG while developing the NGX. Just to let you know:)Best regards,Mikkel

I use the MD-11 for short flights. Usually something between 300 / 350 NM...! I've had no complaints so far. ;) No one is going to stop you from flying short to medium hauls! The tutorial flight is about 460 NM and that's a real life route! I get bored during long cruises and don't want to use the accel option, so... 250 to 350 gives me just enough time to get to a reasonable cruise alt and within no time I am descending again. I am mainly interested in setting the plane up, getting it to cruise alt and the approach phase. Cruising stinks. :( I'm having a great time with this plane! I also wasn't interested in the MD-11: I didn't even know it existed... :( I was looking for a good Airbus but couldn't find one, and then someone pointed me towards the MD-11. It's great. It's the best addon plane I've bought so far.

I also didn't really want to buy it, mainly because the aircraft doesn't interest me by its looks (yeah, spank me now PMDG), but I bought it knowing the quality of PMDG, that it won't disappoint me in terms of system development and detail. It sure didn't!! I was on my vacation reading manuals, learning how it should be operated, after a week, I came home - wow. It is a whole new experience. I did some short, medium and also long routes, though I have to agree - medium and short are the most amusing ones!!

though I have to agree - medium and short are the most amusing ones!!
I always wonder why so many people like to do long haul flights... And specially when they don't 'stay in the plane'! They take off and as soon as they are cruising, they go do something else (sleep, shop, work or other things I don't want to know) and when they come back after a few (or a lot of) hours and FSX has paused at the TD (hopefully... :( ), they continue their flight... What's the fun in that? It only costs electricity...! Anyone here that stays in his seat during an entire 10 hour flight...? I LOVE short flights! And I love the MD-11! :(

Guest cuizinier

long hauls have to me one use.... they give you the opportunity to read the manual more in details (on my laptop) while in the pit and check directly what you are reading about So for me they are a fun way to begin with the complex airliners...After some time it is sure more fun to practice touch and goes or tricky approachescheersJulien

"So, when I buy the MD 11 later today, it's not because I'm really interested in this long haul plane, it's more because I would like to support PMDG while developing the NGX. Just to let you know:) "I'm sure they appreciate your support, and as an advid 737 fan I can partly agree. What I disagree with is the notion that the MD11 is a long haul jet... sure it can fly intercontinental but you might be surprised to look at all the flights at FDX or UPS hubs that are short to medium range. KIND/KJFK comes to mind, or KMEM/KSLC for scenery. This workhorse is used for it's heft not it's legs necessarily.

Dan Downs KCRP

• I routinely fly between KLAX and KLAS because it's a short flight and both airports have runways that can handle a heavy. This is the route I mainly use to try things out or reinforce my procedures (test flights).
  • I also do long flights but I usally start those late at night and go to sleep after I get it up to a good cruise altitude.
  • I'll admit that I wasn't excited about the MD-11 at first (I like Boeings) but after flying the aircraft it is now my favorite due to the user friendly intergrated flight systems and flight performance.

Dan Schultz

...! Anyone here that stays in his seat during an entire 10 hour flight...?
Yeah I do!, if i ain

I often fly Long Haul, and in the meantime I make homework or school reports.

k.
this is actually a brilliant reply to my post. in my defense, i can only say that sometimes you've got to cleanse your body from doodu thoughts before you act...

Guest stubbornswiss

I really don't get the gist of the thread.....???If you really don't want the MD-11, but you really want to support PMDG, why don't you just send them a donation?Problem solved!

Guest pilotex2

The Center line usually has a bad habit of moving!!!)I hear you there!