Sign in to follow this  
JasonD210

BMEP simulated?

HiI don't have this aircraft, and don't know much about DC3s, but I understand this one is quite detailed?I just wondered how realistic the engines simulated. The fun thing with pistion engined planes is getting them to cruise efficiently. As the burn up fuel, they get lighter, and also the altitude increases slightly. Both these factors means that the power, pitch and mixture settings need to be altered now and again to get maximum efficiency.One of the main gauges to keep an eye on would be the BMEP - or "Brake Mean Effective Pressure". Depending on the alititude, and weight of the aircraft there would be different values for this, and for the RPM. Does the DC3 have this?

Guest wild_bill
HiI don't have this aircraft, and don't know much about DC3s, but I understand this one is quite detailed?I just wondered how realistic the engines simulated. The fun thing with pistion engined planes is getting them to cruise efficiently. As the burn up fuel, they get lighter, and also the altitude increases slightly. Both these factors means that the power, pitch and mixture settings need to be altered now and again to get maximum efficiency.One of the main gauges to keep an eye on would be the BMEP - or "Brake Mean Effective Pressure". Depending on the alititude, and weight of the aircraft there would be different values for this, and for the RPM. Does the DC3 have this?
It doesn't have a BMEP guage, no doubt because the real R4D doesn't have one either. It does have a large amount of documentation which includes engine settings for various stages of flight from both historical documents and in video form from MAAM

If you are really into the Dc3 and are new like you say like i am go over to the DcAirways virtual site and join up. There's a lot of real Dc3 pilots over there. Watch al the videos on the Maam site under "free stuff" and then imply them to the sim and you'll see that it adds a whole new aspect to simming. The programmers tried and tried and tried again from what i read and could not succeed totally to get the 3 to slow down like the real one because of microsoft limitations, i but a can garranty you when they get it all redone top to bottom for FSX which i use they it will.You should go over there and have a look, they got their own multiplayer server on FS-inn and team speak and every thing, i never seen a site like it and i've been vatsimming for over 10 years. Louis dca 1824