Sign in to follow this  
Lifter191

Upgrading from 32bit to 64bit operating system

Hi GuysI've just upgraded my hardware to AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ with 2 Gig of RAM and an Geforce 9800GT 512mb graphics.I'm currently running XP Home 32 Bit..I fly FS9 mainly Level D767 with UT Europe 76m European Mesh and lots of addon airports.Since my upgrade I've been getting lots of OOM's. The only sensible way to cure this I believe is to upgrade to 4 Gig of RAM and use a 64 bit operating system..The problem I have is most of my addon's are payware and it will be a nightmare to reload everything and find all the registration keys...If I buy XP 64 bit can I load it over XP Home 32 bit without going through the trauma of reloading everything else ???CheersSteve

Hi GuysI've just upgraded my hardware to AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ with 2 Gig of RAM and an Geforce 9800GT 512mb graphics.I'm currently running XP Home 32 Bit..I fly FS9 mainly Level D767 with UT Europe 76m European Mesh and lots of addon airports.Since my upgrade I've been getting lots of OOM's. The only sensible way to cure this I believe is to upgrade to 4 Gig of RAM and use a 64 bit operating system..The problem I have is most of my addon's are payware and it will be a nightmare to reload everything and find all the registration keys...If I buy XP 64 bit can I load it over XP Home 32 bit without going through the trauma of reloading everything else ???CheersSteve
No you need a fresh install to go from 32 to 64 bit.But if you want to try an quicker 'fix', just buy 2GB of more memory for your XP 32 system and add NickN's OOM fix.http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...?num=1199566076http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_post...&PID=138287If that does not work then go to a 64 bit OS.

Guest Ed Lin
Thanks for the links I'll give that a try.....CheersSteve
Steve,Note that you do NOT need additional ram to try the 3 gb fix. You can surely add another two gigs for a total of four but it's not necessary.Ed Lin, D.O.S.

That's confused me Ed... How can I use more than 2gb of RAM if I only have 2gb installed on my motherboardSteve

Guest JimBrown
That's confused me Ed... How can I use more than 2gb of RAM if I only have 2gb installed on my motherboardSteve
It is confusing, isn't it. :-)Every running process on your computer gets a 4gb virtual memory space to play in (Virtual memory is not physical memory). Normally, 2gb of that is for use by the process, and 2gb is for use by the OS (including mapped memory for the graphics card.) The OS kernel takes care of mapping used (allocated) virtual memory to physical memory (and that mapping is not a one to one relationship, ie the process could be storing data in virtual memory location 1000 to 2000, but the kernel has mapped it to physical memory location 8000 to 9000.) If more virtual memory is used (allocated) by all the running processes, then the page file comes in to play.The /3gb switch controls how the virtual memory is assigned to each running process (that recognizes the switch.) Instead of an even 2gb split of the 4gb virtual memory space, the process gets 3gb and the OS gets 1gb. All the other stuff remains the same (mapping virtual to physical, etc.)So, technically speaking, you can use the 3gb switch on a system with 2gb of physical memory.This may provide benefits, but it has its drawbacks too. The benefit is less chance of an OOM. The drawback is that as a process uses (allocates) more virtual memory than there is physical memory, the page file gets used and that can bring performance down a lot.However, keep in mind that a number of process may be running on you system that have allocated memory, but that are idle. That virtual memory will get sent to the page file before virtual memory of a process that is not idle (such as FSX.)So, bottom line is, even though you only have 2gb of physical memory, the 3gb switch may help.Of course, the best solution is to move to a 64bit OS, with lots of physical memory. Then you don't have to worry about all this technobabble at all. :-)Regards,...jim

Thanks for taking the time to write this very detailed explination and writing it in a way that even an old guy like me can understand.. I've tried the 3gb switch and it seems to have helped... My 2 x 2gb sticks of RAM arrived this morning so I'll be swapping them out with the 2 x1gb sticks I currently have installed.. I'll give it a couple of months to see how it goes and then maybe upgrade to XP64Just a question on my new RAM voltagesMy original sticks were Kingston KVR800D2N5K2 rated at 1.8 Volt. My BIOS RAM voltage is set to Auto and it is was using 1.85 Volts for theseI just fitted my new sticks which are Kingston KHX6400D2K2/4G and are rated at 2.0 volt. I've just checked my BIOS and it reports the new sticks as taking 1.85 volts still set to auto... Should I change the BIOS setting manually so the new RAM gets 2 volts ???I'm using an ASUS M2N68-AM motherboardCheersSteve

Guest romeocharlie

Does anyone in the UK have experience of buying XP64? I'm minded to get it, mainly because I'm wary about compatibility issues with Vista 64. I know I can get OEM copies via dabs.com and others, but am concerned that these aren't bona fide retail versions.Any suggestions for good retailers, seriously welcome.Rob