Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bonkey

ACES closure article

Guest Bonkey

Interresting article. Page 2 lists some features in FS11.http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/03/mi...lator_partners/quote:Version 11 was coming in a year and a half, which would have catered increasingly to a gaming crowd, not just the current enthusiasts and professionalPlanned features included voice recognition with air traffic control, first-person mode, a full fledged career mode with a job board and a currency system, a lighter-then-air aircraft class, and skydiving. "We were starting to focus more on the game aspect of it than just the simulation," the ACES insider told us.I would hope they were re-writing the gfx & terrain engine too. Not that it matters now.

Interresting article. Page 2 lists some features in FS11.http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/03/mi...lator_partners/quote:Version 11 was coming in a year and a half, which would have catered increasingly to a gaming crowd, not just the current enthusiasts and professionalPlanned features included voice recognition with air traffic control, first-person mode, a full fledged career mode with a job board and a currency system, a lighter-then-air aircraft class, and skydiving. "We were starting to focus more on the game aspect of it than just the simulation," the ACES insider told us.I would hope they were re-writing the gfx & terrain engine too. Not that it matters now.
Everyone should read that article (even if it makes you feel like your dog died...)As a developer of add-ons, I'm still confident that somehow this will all work out for the best. Flight Sim Providence I call it.

The future of Microsoft Flight Simulator isn't exactly rosy. If they start dumbing it down for casual gamers, then we've got big problems.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Developers want MS to be clearer?MS completely shut down FS development and let go all related staff ....seems clear to me.It's over.

Developers want MS to be clearer?MS completely shut down FS development and let go all related staff ....seems clear to me.It's over.
Well, it's muddy because someone at Microsoft stated that Microsoft is still committed to the franchise, but what they mean by that is very nebulous.Personally, if I had to put money on it, FS will come back as an X-Box title, and probably in a very dumbed down form.Hope I'm wrong.

Well, it's muddy because someone at Microsoft stated that Microsoft is still committed to the franchise, but what they mean by that is very nebulous.
Actions speak louder than words.No development, no staff, no future.Can't see them selling it to someone either, that would have been done before letting the staff go.FSX will continue to have a shelf life but with a declining active user base and declining add-on interest.Add on interest seems to have declined already, look at the response to ManhattanX here, about 10 posts.I think MS seen the writing on the wall, and made the future clear.

Do you have convincing evidence that interest in MSFS addons has declined? The fact that there have only been ten posts in the "Manhattan X" thread is hardly conclusive proof.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Do you have convincing evidence that interest in MSFS addons has declined? The fact that there have only been ten posts in the "Manhattan X" thread is hardly conclusive proof.
Has Toshiba's dropping of HD DVD made sales of HD DVD titles increase?

I am wondering now if microsoft just decided it was time for a four or five year haitus, and saves some megabucks besides at a time when it is needed. Here's the logic.1. DX-10 is a dog and years away from mainstream.2. 64 bit is years away from mainstream.3. A new direction in operating systems that aren't "water logged" is a couple of years away at a minimum.4. 8 to 12 cores is probably coming.5. Cycles per second is getting like "miles per gallon" (hard to improve on).6. Tileproxy syndrome is the wave of the future, and will require massive data transfers and processing.7. In FSX, with very good and dense road and air traffic, extremely complex scenery like Manhattan X, complex simultaneously running side-side add-ons, multiple monitors, and etc., any significant hardware improvements in order to move foreward is years away at a minimum.8. In FSX, with very good and dense road and air traffic, extremely complex scenery like Manhattan X, complex simultaneously running side-side add-ons, multiple monitors, and etc., any significant hardware improvements in order to move foreward is years away at a minimum.To put it simply. I think they may see that a fairly long term plateau has been reached. "It's time for a break and let's save some money too". It may be that they feel that there is a lot of catch up that has to occur before this sim can move foreward with significant changes.Bob (Las Cruces, NM)

To put it simply. I think they may see that a fairly long term plateau has been reached. "It's time for a break and let's save some money too". It may be that they feel that there is a lot of catch up that has to occur before this sim can move foreward with significant changes.
Mmm... Though I don't think MS has made those evaluations, I think that all the points you made as well as your conclusion are quite valid!Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Interresting article. Page 2 lists some features in FS11.http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/03/mi...lator_partners/quote:Version 11 was coming in a year and a half, which would have catered increasingly to a gaming crowd, not just the current enthusiasts and professional
Hi, Bonkey.Thank you, for the info. This just confirms what most of us, that are looking for a useful Tool, were afraid of. FSX is Not really a step up from FS9, when it comes to it's usefulness, and I am having a very difficult time trying to justify my time and effort needed to make it acceptable.It's just accumulating dust right now.FS11, if it ever comes out, may be one of the first sims, since PC sims started, that I will not be purchasing. TV

Has Toshiba's dropping of HD DVD made sales of HD DVD titles increase?
No, but that doesn't answer my question. The analogy is that addon sales will decrease in the future. You stated that they were in decline now.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

ACES etc was disbanded to apease the BOD and stock holders.......period. MS' CEO has stated this publicly.So, it follows that any resumption of a future MSFS will only occure if it's determined that it will please the BOD and stock holders. End of story.

ACES etc was disbanded to apease the BOD and stock holders.......period. MS' CEO has stated this publicly.So, it follows that any resumption of a future MSFS will only occure if it's determined that it will please the BOD and stock holders. End of story.
Yeap, its's all about money.RJ

Microsoft as a company has been a jerk about this decision. I say, screw em. these miserable creatures are of the firm belief that the only stake holder are wall street jerks (who have shown their character to the rest of the world in recent time). They do not count their employees, their partners and their customers as stake holders that they need to communicate with. This is an unethical corporation being led by some unethical individuals on top IMO. Period!We need to look at building a new managed open source platform on a linux platform. where addon vendors can augment many of the details like scenery and airports and aircrafts.The default product needs to be a reasonable platform that is technologically sound with no more than 1 or two basic aircraft and very rough quality sceneryI would think the laid off ACES team has an opportunity here to start a venture company and try to get some capital. Who knows Bill Gates himself or Paul Allen could fund the venture. Why look for a job when you can start something on your own... Each one of the ACES folks have an intrinsic capital and good will that it wouldn't be very hard to raise capital.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter