Sign in to follow this  
Guest sunbear

Q6600 processors

Guest sunbear

I have the following computer specifications:E6600 dual core @ 2.4mhz4 gig of matched Pc2-800 ramPNY 8800GT 512 meg Graphics card21" gateway widescreen monitor120 gig hitachi hard drivemain processor cooler w/fanAsus P5B-E motherboardFSB max. support is 1066My question is: I am thing about upgrading to a Q6600 since I will be running a processor intensive program that demands a (quad core design) with at least (2.66mhz speed). How does one go about getting (2.66 mhz) out of a purchased quad-core Q6600 that comes in at (2.4mhz). Keep in mind that I cannot purchase the Q6600 @ 2.66mhz since my "FSB only supports up to 1066"...... !!! jack

I seem to remember reviews that said you could overclock that MB and CPU quite a bit. You might not need to go to a quad. If you must go quad, the q6600 is a bit out dated. If you are not comfortable overclocking, you will need to buy faster components.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest sunbear

Can you buy a Stock Quad intel processor that is greater than 2.4mhz speed utilizing my P5B-E Asus motherboard which is limited to a 1066 FSB???Regards,jack

My Q9550 runs at 2.8mhz @ 1333 fsb. Might run near 2.6 @ 1066. There is a formula to figure that out, but I don't know it. Part of the OC process is to push your hardware past it's ratings. It is all done in the BIOS. Bob

Bob

Guest sunbear

What steps would be required to overclock the Q6600 (with my computer specifications) to 2.66mhz or greater?Regards,jack

I can only advise you to go to asus fourms to get the best advice. I have a mild OC on my MSI MB by rasing the FSB frequency in the bios. If you can get a manual for your MB, it will tell you how to go about some of these things. I am no expert. Maybe someone will come along who is.Bob

Bob

Guest sunbear

Anybody else know if I can get 2.66mhz our of my P5B-E motherboard with my 6600 duo-core intel and how you would do this via overclocking? Keep in mind that the FSB is maxed at 1033mhz..jack

Guest D17S

The P5B-e's 965's FSB should run at least to 300Mhz (1200). 350-400Mhz may also be doable with that chipset. Don't know why it would be limited to 258Mhz (1033)? If it's just a standard P5B-E, start with your FSB set to 300Mhz and Vcore to 1.4v. That'll get the a Q6600 to (300x9=) 2.7Ghz. Any more than this will require a thermalright ultra 120 CPU cooler. With the new cooler, your goal will be a 400Mhz FSB with ~ 1.42 Vcore. That'll run the Q at 3.6Ghz. This will provide the same performance as a $2,000 i7 at 3.2Ghz / DDR3 platform. Pretty good deal with a core2Q on a 965 mobo.

Guest sunbear

Thank you Bobby and Sam for your insights. I will pursue this course in view of all your recommendations.Regards,jack