Sign in to follow this  
Toys_R_Us

Moving Topics

Tom,This is not the first time this has happened, and I was mad then as I am now. I think it is not right to move a topic once it has gotten legs in a particular forum. At that point it deserves the right to stay there !Why should your readers spend a good deal of time to write a main stream response in "THE" mainstream forum (FSX) to what is then an established thread, and then find it moved to the sidelines. This is not fair to your readers and responders.I think once that topic has legs (numerous responses), it should be left alone no matter what. That alone indicates a strong interest. Maybe that's an established response count, I don't know. I most certainly would not have waisted my time, had I known that one of your people was then (after the fact) going to move that topic to the sidelines. This makes me not want to waste my time at all writing significant (time consuming) responses in that forum. It's all a subjective judgement anyway, and your responders should not have to be the ones to make that call in their decision as whether or not to take the time to make lengthy and time consuming response in established threads that might not be seen by many.Bob (Las Cruces, NM)

Tom,This is not the first time this has happened, and I was mad then as I am now. I think it is not right to move a topic once it has gotten legs in a particular forum. At that point it deserves the right to stay there !Why should your readers spend a good deal of time to write a main stream response in "THE" mainstream forum (FSX) to what is then an established thread, and then find it moved to the sidelines. This is not fair to your readers and responders.I think once that topic has legs (numerous responses), it should be left alone no matter what. That alone indicates a strong interest. Maybe that's an established response count, I don't know. I most certainly would not have waisted my time, had I known that one of your people was then (after the fact) going to move that topic to the sidelines. This makes me not want to waste my time at all writing significant (time consuming) responses in that forum. It's all a subjective judgement anyway, and your responders should not have to be the ones to make that call in their decision as whether or not to take the time to make lengthy and time consuming response in established threads that might not be seen by many.Bob (Las Cruces, NM)
If it's in the wrong forum then it should be moved. Regardless of where a thread in placed, if it relates to specific area then I want to find it in the obvious forum and not have to look in others in the hope of finding it. If it relates to FS9, for example, that's where it should be. If it doesn't it should be in the appropriate forum. Otherwise why bother having different forums? the solutions in your own hands - put it in the correct forum to begin with.

As a longtime user of this forum-I would prefer to go back to the old days-where you made a certain forum your "home"-made friends, and talked about anything you wished.I remember when I resided in the Fly forum for a while making a post when I had to put my dog down with a picture of the dog, and getting nice posts from my virtual friends-it was a hugely long thread with lots of pictures from others and their dogs. It was nice! Seemed less sterile to me than now.The main reason for me is not only the kind of friendship that I think that type of forum forms, but also that I don't have time to read the many forums every day. Therefore, if there is a new nvidia driver I am only going to find out about it if it appears in the fsx forum etc. I don't look at the hardware forum everyday as my hardware hasn't changed and isn't going to for some time.However, the rules are now that there are particular forums for particular posts, and any post that does not meet that criteria needs to be moved. There seem to be many that support this-sometimes I will get a "complaint" -either by private email or in the thread itself when a thread is not moved quickly enough.I always try to leave a "link" that states the thread has been moved-you can still click on it for some time to take you to the new forum.None the less-might be something to think about for the future. Perhaps a poll even. However, I think right now there are more pressing issues that are taking priority.

Tom,
I have absolutely no clue what message in what forum you are referring to. I just crawled off a flight from London and drove for three hours home. So Bob, what message, where, and when? And, messages posted off 'topic' as it were, are going to get moved, regardless of how many 'legs' it has grown. Simple solution; don't post off-topic messages. Seems simple to me.

Tom:It appears I am beating a dead horse and I can live with that. But I will make one last comment on this subject. I just checked the FSX forum and numerous posts are techincally off topic. But some of them have grown in the number of responses and read count and have not been moved. As a message responder I think it is fair to believe in cases like this that since a topic has grown in size and readership, it has been viewed by the moderators as within the forum's boundaries. So if I am going to invest a good deal of time to make a detailed repsonse for the good of the community, I can reasonably believe it will remain in the main stream forum and get maximum exposure. I believe that a judgement of appropriateness has been already been made on the basis of sheer read and response counts by the moderators.But that is not the case. Sometimes these topics get moved even after they have grown in size and read hits. So my assumption is/was incorrect. A topic can get moved at any time that someone decides "it's out of here" regardless of participation and interest. For that reason, I have made the value judgement to not waste my time responding any more with anything of time consuming substance. This came to a head today when they moved a message post while I was still in the process of editing it to completion. Frankly I just said "screw it". This is not the first time that this general type of thing has happened.It's your website, run it any way you want. But I personally still believe that after 10 tor 20 responses and a slew of recent reads, that is not the time to move a message. Do it later when it dies off down the natural chain. Bob (Las Cruces, NM)