Sign in to follow this  
Guest cliffie1931

Is this the correct way to install FSX?

Guest cliffie1931

Being forced to format my Hard disk I'd be grateful for confirmation that I proceed with the reinstallation of FSX Deluxe as follows:1.Install FSX from the CD and launch the default flight.2.Close FSX3.Reboot4.Install "Acceleration" from it's CD and launch the default flight.5.Close FSX6.Reboot and open the default flightIf this is correct I am unsure about the following:1.Should I have installed SP1 before installing "Acceleration" or are both SPI AND SP2 included in "Acceleration"?2.I gather that both FSX and "Acceleration include "SDK". What is that? Should I separately install "SDK" from both the FSX and "Acceleration" CD's?3.As I've heard conflicting reports about "Acceleration" should I perhaps ignore it and only install SP1 and SP2"?In the event that it's relevant I'm operating under Windows Vista.Cliff

1. Yes2. Yes3. Yes4. Yes5. Yes6. Yes1. Both SPI AND SP2 are included in "Acceleration"2. For normal use you don't need the SDK. SDK stands for Software Development Kit. Besides some stuff that's only of use to software devs or very intelligent people :( there is some information in it that can come in handy when you want to fool around with views for instance, or if you want to dive deep into some specific settings, but if you just want to fly, you don't need it. I haven't got it installed at all (Vista here too).3. I know nothing of conflicts... although I don't own it myself. However, of you don't need the extra's that Acceleration is giving you (planes, missions, etc.) you could also opt to only install SP1 and SP2 (if you do so, repeat step 1, 2, 3 (or 3, 4, 5 :( .) also for SP1). But since you have it, you might as well install it...

Guest cliffie1931
1. Yes2. Yes3. Yes4. Yes5. Yes6. Yes1. Both SPI AND SP2 are included in "Acceleration"2. For normal use you don't need the SDK. SDK stands for Software Development Kit. Besides some stuff that's only of use to software devs or very intelligent people :( there is some information in it that can come in handy when you want to fool around with views for instance, or if you want to dive deep into some specific settings, but if you just want to fly, you don't need it. I haven't got it installed at all (Vista here too).3. I know nothing of conflicts... although I don't own it myself. However, of you don't need the extra's that Acceleration is giving you (planes, missions, etc.) you could also opt to only install SP1 and SP2 (if you do so, repeat step 1, 2, 3 (or 3, 4, 5 :( .) also for SP1). But since you have it, you might as well install it...
Great info. Just what I wanted to find out. AND a good laugh at your "Besides some stuff that's only of use to software devs or very intelligent people".................. Thanks "J"...............Cliff

You may want to install to some other folder than the default "Program Files" if you plan to do any tweaking. Make another folder on your C/: ,named Games or something and install there. This would be if you do not have UAC turned off. Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Being forced to format my Hard disk I'd be grateful for confirmation that I proceed with the reinstallation of FSX Deluxe as follows:1.Install FSX from the CD and launch the default flight.2.Close FSX3.Reboot4.Install "Acceleration" from it's CD and launch the default flight.5.Close FSX6.Reboot and open the default flightIf this is correct I am unsure about the following:1.Should I have installed SP1 before installing "Acceleration" or are both SPI AND SP2 included in "Acceleration"?2.I gather that both FSX and "Acceleration include "SDK". What is that? Should I separately install "SDK" from both the FSX and "Acceleration" CD's?3.As I've heard conflicting reports about "Acceleration" should I perhaps ignore it and only install SP1 and SP2"?In the event that it's relevant I'm operating under Windows Vista.Cliff
Hi.You are close. After FSX install, Activate. Install Acceleration, after Acceleration install, install SDK 1a, Activate again, and pray that you do not need to do it over the phone. As mentioned you can put it in it's own Root directory to save yourself some hassle with the UAC etc. TV