Sign in to follow this  
Guest rdg

MegaSceneryEarth FSX.CFG Changes

Guest rdg

Hi,I did not allow the install to make those changes to the cfg file. I am curious if anyone knows what exactly does it change and/or add?Appreciate your time.RegardsBob G

Guest simjunkie
Hi,I did not allow the install to make those changes to the cfg file. I am curious if anyone knows what exactly does it change and/or add?Appreciate your time.RegardsBob G
Hi Bob,You won't have any effects w/o that final "tweaking" the installer does. At least not for water. It's supposed to install effects without tweaking if you tell it to but that's never worked for me.Another thing it does is put that nasty "FiberFrameTimeFraction=33" string into the FSX.cfg...GET RID OF IT! :( As far as I'm concerned MS takes too much liberty in changing settings that should be left alone and set by the user (you & me). Pretty invasive if you ask me and if one knows how to manage the scenery settings then their changes are not needed at all. The only thing that needed are the effects files along with the scenery files and maybe a couple other things.-jk

Guest rdg
Hi Bob,You won't have any effects w/o that final "tweaking" the installer does. At least not for water. It's supposed to install effects without tweaking if you tell it to but that's never worked for me.Another thing it does is put that nasty "FiberFrameTimeFraction=33" string into the FSX.cfg...GET RID OF IT! :( As far as I'm concerned MS takes too much liberty in changing settings that should be left alone and set by the user (you & me). Pretty invasive if you ask me and if one knows how to manage the scenery settings then their changes are not needed at all. The only thing that needed are the effects files along with the scenery files and maybe a couple other things.-jk
Hi JK,Thanks! Well, I did notice an effects folder. Looks like water animation stuff. I probably overwrote those using FEX anyway. I dont use the fiber_frame entry. I have been overclocking my CPU and although not blue screening, FSX is dying and presenting me with the "FSX had a stroke" dialog box asking me if I want to send the dump to Microsoft. So I am trying to figure out where the issue may be coming from. I do have a modified LOD to 5.5 and Texture_Bandwidth @ 70, but thats about it. So I was just curious if I needed to make some adjustments.RegardsBob

Guest simjunkie
Hi JK,Thanks! Well, I did notice an effects folder. Looks like water animation stuff. I probably overwrote those using FEX anyway. I dont use the fiber_frame entry. I have been overclocking my CPU and although not blue screening, FSX is dying and presenting me with the "FSX had a stroke" dialog box asking me if I want to send the dump to Microsoft. So I am trying to figure out where the issue may be coming from. I do have a modified LOD to 5.5 and Texture_Bandwidth @ 70, but thats about it. So I was just curious if I needed to make some adjustments.RegardsBob
Bob, let me know if your FEX works over the scenery, mine didn't. Actually I would prefer the FEX water over MS. FEX is wonderful. I hope you get your issues sorted out. One thing is I run my LOD at 8.0 and that uses LOTS of memory. Up to and over 3.5G total system usage.cheers, jk

Guest rdg
Bob, let me know if your FEX works over the scenery, mine didn't. Actually I would prefer the FEX water over MS. FEX is wonderful. I hope you get your issues sorted out. One thing is I run my LOD at 8.0 and that uses LOTS of memory. Up to and over 3.5G total system usage.cheers, jk
Hi JK,The OC is stable. I ran Prime95 for hours with different algorythms, but something is kicking out FSX. I think it may be FEX textures for water,clouds,sky etc. I have such a mixture of resolutions between them. I am thinking about going back to the stock default textures and trying it then. I will let you know.Bob