Sign in to follow this  
Guest twsimfan

Dumb question regarding default F/A-18...

Guest twsimfan

I know there is probably documentation on this but I haven't stumbled across it. Can anybody tell me the proper way to land the Accel pack's F/A-18 on a runway? There doesn't seem to be any thrust reversers or a parachute. I extend the speed brake and that helps some but if I try to apply any significant amount of brakes i do a ground loop. I can get it onto the runway fairly smooth and and relatively slow but the only way I've found to get the thing to eventually stop before running off the end of the runway is to drag the tail hook and that just can't be the proper way. ???It is a very fun plane to fly but it makes me feel so dumb when I can't seem to land it properly. Maybe if I can figure out how to land it on a nice long dry runway I'll get brave and try a carrier landing.The main reason I decided to ask this less than bright question at this time is that I'm watching this forum anyway for info from MSE (MegaSceneryEarth) users to see how it is working out for them. Besides... if I do decide to go ahead and buy MSE Washington I'll need to use a fast jet to check it out. lolThanks for any and all help,Tom Wunder

Can anybody tell me the proper way to land the Accel pack's F/A-18 on a runway? There doesn't seem to be any thrust reversers or a parachute. I extend the speed brake and that helps some but if I try to apply any significant amount of brakes i do a ground loop.
Tom,I did a rudimentary video tutorial on this subject. Here it is (the key is not to brake until your rollout is under 60 knots, and then to brake very carefully). Even the real F/A-18 is prone to spinning if you're not careful.
Cheers!

I know there is probably documentation on this but I haven't stumbled across it. Can anybody tell me the proper way to land the Accel pack's F/A-18 on a runway? There doesn't seem to be any thrust reversers or a parachute. I extend the speed brake and that helps some but if I try to apply any significant amount of brakes i do a ground loop. I can get it onto the runway fairly smooth and and relatively slow but the only way I've found to get the thing to eventually stop before running off the end of the runway is to drag the tail hook and that just can't be the proper way. ???Tom Wunder
Tom,Lot's of us had that exact problem and a very simple fix was found and has been posted many times but it's usually ignored. When I was getting the un-realistic ground loops my simulation Realism was set to MINIMUM settings. At the advice of someone, I moved it up to a MID range setting and then it worked. Still have to be careful and watch what I'm doing but there is no FA-18 that requires 10,000 foot runways. It is so simple to test. Go to your realism settings and move them up. If it does no good, then set them back. I have told this to several FA-18 users and in every case it helped them. Just try it once. A few seconds to determine if it helps you or not.I like to use the AOA indicators to the left of the HUD. With flaps and gear down I usually approach at about 135 KIAS (keep the center light on) and as I cross the threshold deploy speed brakes. Touchdown for me is less than 120 KIAS and ease the nose down and then apply brakes. No tapping needed for me and just keep the nose lined up on the centerline and usually take the first exit.I regularly fly into airports with 5,000 ft runways and take an early exit. PhillPS - it is so simple to try: REALISM SETTINGS TO MID OR HIGHER.Edit to add link to FA-18 support: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php...1&board=4.0

Guest firehawk44
I know there is probably documentation on this but I haven't stumbled across it. Can anybody tell me the proper way to land the Accel pack's F/A-18 on a runway? There doesn't seem to be any thrust reversers or a parachute. I extend the speed brake and that helps some but if I try to apply any significant amount of brakes i do a ground loop. I can get it onto the runway fairly smooth and and relatively slow but the only way I've found to get the thing to eventually stop before running off the end of the runway is to drag the tail hook and that just can't be the proper way. ???It is a very fun plane to fly but it makes me feel so dumb when I can't seem to land it properly. Maybe if I can figure out how to land it on a nice long dry runway I'll get brave and try a carrier landing.The main reason I decided to ask this less than bright question at this time is that I'm watching this forum anyway for info from MSE (MegaSceneryEarth) users to see how it is working out for them. Besides... if I do decide to go ahead and buy MSE Washington I'll need to use a fast jet to check it out. lolThanks for any and all help,Tom Wunder
The developer (fsdreamteam) said the only way to land this aircraft is to land with the nose pitched up until it gets to about 80 knots then slowly bring the nose down. The developers stated this cannot be fixed as there are limitations within FSX that prevent them from making landings realistic. Aerosoft has the same problem with their similar aircraft. IMHO, this is another reason why Microsoft decided to get rid of their Aces team and put a hold on any further production. There are just too many addon developers who state FSX is just too complicated or it has too many limitations or the SDK was changed too much from the FS9 version, etc., etc., and the problem can't be fixed. Products that cannot be developed fully should not be a part of FSX. Blaming it on Microsoft and the Aces techs is not an excuse. Just stop making products that don't work fully. This would relieve some of the frustrations many have trying to fly certain aircraft or use certain scenery. I think the fact you cannot land this aircraft properly is inexcusable. The one suggestion to move the realism slider up to mid or higher levels is not a good solution as it creates even more problems within FSX when flying other aircraft or scenery situations. Oh well, my rant for today. Best regards,Jim

The developer (fsdreamteam) said the only way to land this aircraft is to land with the nose pitched up until it gets to about 80 knots then slowly bring the nose down. The developers stated this cannot be fixed as there are limitations within FSX that prevent them from making landings realistic.
We never said anything like that. You might have read it on our forum, but it was probably posted by another user. I can land the F-18 at more realistich speeds, like 130-135 kts, just fine, just try to use the AoA indicator and be careful when braking, which is much easier if you use rudder pedals with progressive braking, instead of just pressing the joy button, which is an all or nothing thing, that always applies 100% braking when pressed, and that creates stability problems. And, don't brake immediately, but wait to be at about 80 knots, before start braking, which is standard practice anyway even with airliners.Umberto Colapicchioni - VIRTUALIhttp://www.fsdreamteam.com

The developer (fsdreamteam) said the only way to land this aircraft is to land with the nose pitched up until it gets to about 80 knots then slowly bring the nose down.
As I said above, I use fly the AOA with approach speeds of 135 KIAS and it works every time for me. I don't have pedals, just a joy stick button, but I still land and brake with no more ground loops.The raising of the realism settings worked for me and for others. It is a simple thing to try and I hope the OP will try it. This is a fine aircraft and a real joy to use.Phill
I can land the F-18 at more realistich speeds, like 130-135 kts, just fine, just try to use the AoA indicator and be careful when braking, which is much easier if you use rudder pedals with progressive braking, instead of just pressing the joy button, which is an all or nothing thing, that always applies 100% braking when pressed, and that creates stability problems. And, don't brake immediately, but wait to be at about 80 knots, before start braking, which is standard practice anyway even with airliners.Umberto Colapicchioni - VIRTUALIhttp://www.fsdreamteam.com
Umberto,Little off topic but just wanted to say your VC on this aircraft made the cost of acceleration worth every penny (at least for me) so thank you for a fine product.Phill

Guest twsimfan

Thanks guys you have all been very helpful! :)It also helps to know that I am not the only one to have had problems with this. ;)Thanks again,Tom Wunder

Thanks guys you have all been very helpful! :)
Tom,I hope the video helped. I produced the video because there are some folks out there who will tell you that the only way to land this aircraft is the fly it at 80 knots (see above post). Or other such nonsense. The video demonstrates the proper way to bring this aircraft to a halt by flying it correctly. Yes, you can edit the air file if you want, or otherwise change it to make it do what you want ... or you can fly it properly. To each his own strategy.Virtuali is to be congratulated on this aircraft. It feels very real to me, even though I don't have time in the real aircraft. So don't take my word for it. Take the word of a pilot who has 1,000 carrier landings in the real aircraft. Dale Snodgrass believes the model is done very accurately.Cheers