Sign in to follow this  
Moose4

A wild ride (ASA/FS2004 pressure glitch?)

Hey guys, I don't know if this is a bug report for ASA, but I think it's kind of funny nonetheless...ASA does a very faithful job of reproducing the conditions that the METARs give.Even when the METARs contain the string "Q2340". That does some FASCINATING stuff to the handling of your MD11 at FL370, let me tell you... :( This was from SCRA (Chanaral, Chile), the 2/5/2009 03Z METARs: SCRA 050335Z 22000KT 16255 SCT096 SCT151 19/14 Q2310 RMK ADVANCED INTERPOLATIONAnd here's one even better, the station just north of Chanaral, Las Breas (SCTT): SCTT 050338Z 20101KT 16255 SCT110 20/14 Q3280 RMK ADVANCED INTERPOLATIONI am now closest to the next station south, Caldera (SCCL) and it's showing: SCCL 050339Z 21804KT 16255 SCT064 BKN131 17/14 Q1018 RMK ADVANCED INTERPOLATIONBut my altitude is still completely whacked. My outside pressure appears to be somewhere over 38 inches of mercury; even hitting "B" over FL180 sets my altimeter to 32.01, not 29.92. (May be a PMDG MD-11 oddity?) I'm at FL360 and my altimeter is showing FL270 and slowly descending, cabin altitude is increasing even though the plane is level. And this despite the station showing Q1018. Multiple refreshes haven't helped.EDIT: After running across another station (SCLL) that had a "Q2380" entry for pressure, I've had to shut down ASA and clear all weather settings in FSUIPC in order to finish my flight. I am running Build 355. I've also seen this happen running the original release build of ASA, while flying the Maddog 2008. The Maddog 2008 glitch happened near Memphis, TN and exhibited the exact same symptoms of an insanely high barometric pressure--increasing cabin altitude, altimeter descending even with the plane level according to SHIFT+Z, airspeed all over the place.

Hi,Please try a default plane and see what happens.Thanks,

Hi,Please try a default plane and see what happens.Thanks,
OK. I'll try a 737 or 747 in the same general area of Chile and see what happens.BTW, Jim, aside from these two pressure glitches, I am very impressed with ASA. B355 seemed to fix the twitchy winds problems I was having in FS2004, and I'm loving the new features and the fantastic cloud depictions.

I was just gonna do some testing myself. All of the sudden I'm having very strange baro issues and trying ASv6.5 didn't help, nor does the smoothing option in FSUIPC.The altimeter from ATIS isn't always matching or takes a long time to catch up and during approach and final the baro jumps all over the place. This just started about 2 or 3 days ago. I'm in the PMDG MD-11, however, this never happened before.It has been on finals into KSDF and my flight only started from KSTL, about 45 minutes away.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Hi,I drop in here, because I am confrontated with this problem (FS9, weather options FSUIPC default).I tried a flight from TJSJ to KMIA. Leaving San Juan area, I got severe pressure glitches on FL 360, temperature rising immediatly too, so the aircraft stalled.Descending down to FL260, suddenly I found myself on FL420 with overspeed. This was near Grand Turk Island, where I shut down FS.Never had these problems before with ASA. In case there were corrupt weather files, I

Hi,I just want to report, that with todays weather I had no problems to perform the flight again.It seems to be SSE of Grand Turk Isl a difficult area for the weather depiction. Winds, pressure and temperature change every second, but ASA smoothes it very well. So no problems to me anymore.Best WishesHans-Christian

Bringing this back to the top because it happened again, with FS2004 and ASA build 355. Flying over Africa with my closest station at FNME (Menongue, Angola), this is the METAR I see:FNME 112143Z 27000KT 16255 SCT033CB 26/20 Q3512 RMK ADVANCED INTERPOLATIONThis is the exact same problem I was having a month ago in certain regions of South America. The METAR pressure reading is totally borked. Does the "RMK ADVANCED INTERPOLATION" mean that ASA is somehow generating this data, or is it receiving garbage data from wherever the METAR data comes from?Forgot to add, it was with a different plane this time than before--the Wilco/Feelthere A340-300.

Hi,We have worked on this for our next SP and we are internally testing at this time.ADVANCED INTERPOLATION means that the station data is blended from surrounding stations. If that data is bad then the ASA data will be in error.Please let's see if the next SP will fix this for you guys.

Hi Jim,Just has a similar issue, I'm on build 355, and yet to download the SP beta. My pressure was the other extreme though, flying over Indonesia in the PSS T7. The station in question was WIOK, where I got a pressure of 21.71 (QNH735!!!). Needless to say it sent my plane into all sorts of crazy maneuvers. Do you think the new SP will fix these really low pressures as well?Thanks for a great product.Scott

Scott why don't you try it and find out, it isn't going to cause any damage and you are going to have to update ASA at some point anyway so why not do it now.

Cheers, Andy.

Hi Scott,Yes this was one of the issues we worked on. Please install and give things a try and report back here. We are trying to clear up any major issues.Thanks!

Gents,Have installed SP1 and am using Build 395. Flew the same flight again NZAA->WMKK with the same flightplan in the same plane PSS T7. Again about 8 hours into the flight, somewhere over Indonesia I started having the low pressure problem again. I can't pinpoint the exact location as I left the cockpit for around 25mins to return and find the plane at around 16,000ft and the QNH being in the low 700's again. I obviously missed the worse of it though as it returned to the mis 800's fairly quickly and I had enough power to climb back to my cruise alt of FL360. During the cruise however the pressure was changing drastically, and the altitude difference between the displayed on the PFD and the dispalyed altitude when pressing 'SHIFT+Z' was often up to 4000ft different. Not sure what the next steps are, is there any more info I can provide you? Would be shame to have to avoid flyingin South East Asia as I visit their often.Thanks and Regards,Scott

Hi Scott,FS04 or FSX?If FSX:Create Additional Stations On?Enhanced Route Coverage On?What is Dynamic Rate of Change set at?Thanks,

Hi Jim,Did you have any more thoughts around this? Any settings etc to try?If you need more info, please let me know.ThanksScott