Sign in to follow this  
ailchim

Adding airport vehicles

After resisting for a long time, I am a recent convert to FSX from FS9. Why did I wait so long? However, please excuse my inexperience.I have Airport Design Editor and have been enhancing [if that's the word] my favourite airport.I see that I can add vehicle taxiways and vehicle parking.I know that:1) There can be traffic on the roads, if you have the PC to run it2) You can call service vehicles to your aircraft, if the aircraft is set up to receive them.3) You can add stationary vehicles to airport sceneryCan you however, add service vehicles just moving about the airport generally? E.G. security patrols. If so, how do you programme their movements?

ngxu_banner.png

In FSX go to the screen where you adjust AI traffic. There you will see a slider for" Airport vehicle density. Slide it to MAX. That will give you vehicles driving around the airport. No security vehicles. You can not program them, as they are controled by FSX. When you add vehicle parking, it will be for fuel trucks.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

I believe the airport vehicles are controlled by a file in the main FSX folder named LWcfg.spb (living world configuration). To work on it you must use the spb2xml tool to create an editable xml file. Note that the world is divided up into "regions" and each region has airport vehicles defined for it. GEt spb2xml here:http://lc0277.nerim.net/wiki/index.php?software (many other nice tools here too!)In each region there is an airport section, and in there an ambient traffic section. I've never played with this, but it appears the ambient traffic has a list of vehicle titles (containers) and an entryweight for each, which I assume determines the relative number of vehicles that get spawned. the vehicle containers are defined in Simobjects\GroundVehicles.See "living world" and "simobject container" sdk for more info.I assume the vehicles randomly drive around the airport. If you need specific movements, you might need something like a mission (just guessing).BTW, you can also slow down the insane speeds of freeway traffic in this same file.scott s..

Hmm thanks for the information.Having relied solely on the excellent World of AI packages for AI aircraft in FSX rather than spending hours installing aircraft & flightplans myself, maybe I should get on with some flying rather than fiddling about with something that looks quite complicated!I have road traffic turned off by the way. I'm very happy with the framerates I'm getting in FSX - at least as good as FS9 - and it seems much smoother, possibly because it uses multi-cores better? But road traffic and light bloom just kill it, so maybe those sit in reserve for the next PC upgrade.

ngxu_banner.png