Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuchner1

G2XPL is for X-Plane what Tileproxy is for FSX

Guest cbuchner1

It sucks that they can still use Google Maps while I can't. That's an unfair competitive advantage. ;)They seem to have less trouble with frames per second and scenery updates ("tiles per second"). All screenshots I've seen have been razor sharp.Christian

Guest darrincates

I can't believe it ... well, big bad 'Image Provider' will probably get to them too unfortunatley ...

It sucks that they can still use Google Maps while I can't. That's an unfair competitive advantage. ;)....
Most probably due to X-plane's smaller user-base Christian :( Google's not noticing any impact from them!! :( Regards,Gerhard

Regards,

Gerhard

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things" (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

It sucks that they can still use Google Maps while I can't. That's an unfair competitive advantage. ;)They seem to have less trouble with frames per second and scenery updates ("tiles per second"). All screenshots I've seen have been razor sharp.Christian
I just recently bought a new system -- Quad 8200 and lower than Average video card. In spite of that, my Tileproxy Textures stay razor sharp out to 30 miles, which is where my vis limit is set at, and I still average 30 fps. I've also tweaked my proxyuser.ini level mapping:level_mapping=5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,15,15,15,16,17I essentially have seamless coverage all the way to the horizon. Say what you will, I can't thank you enough for Tileproxy. I'd rather have the feel of flight and what Tileproxy offers than another sim and another application.Regards,John

They seem to have less trouble with frames per second and scenery updates ("tiles per second").
Well, that's because it effectively creates offline scenery. Whenever X-Plane tries to load a new scenery file (which it does in chunks of 1x1 degree), the g2xpl plugin simply pauses the simulator and calls the main (standalone) program. That in turn downloads everything needed for the 'tile' in question, does the neccessary conversions, and moves the result into X-Plane's scenery folder. When done, the plugin causes the simulator to reload the whole scenery and resume flight. The program can be tweaked to periodically download less than 1x1 degree at a time, filling in the rest of the tile with blanks (or images you already have), but there's no real on-the-fly image downloading going on. There has been some discussion about a mechanism to request the scenery engine to reload individual textures on the fly, but that's not there yet.In my opinion, photo scenery looks better in X-Plane than in FSX. Although the resolution is similar, the textures look somewhat sharper (even compared to FSX offline scenery), maybe because they don't need to be resampled. And the lighting somehow makes the overall scenery look more natural. Oh, and of course, there are no blurries whatsoever.