Sign in to follow this  
ricardo296

Radar Contact vs Vox ATC

Hi everybody I am considering about buying one of these two add ons.I have read many interesting features about each of them.Any comments about each of them ???RICARDO

I am a huge Radar Contact fan (and a real life Air Traffic Controller).It provides me with everything I could possibly want in the most realistic way possible.RC4 :(

beta.gif

I too use RC4 and I'm very happy with it. I don't fly without it.I thought VoxATC for FS9 doesn't communicate with the AI? It does for FSX, but not FS9. Unless I'm wrong on this part.

Having just read a review (can't recall the date) concerning RC4 and looking at it's user's guide, it would appearthat this jewel is for hard core/serious simmers. I would certainly enjoy the realism it has to offer, but it must take 15 minutes just set up for a flight of less than 500 miles. So, I guess it boils down to what constitutes a serious simmer, or just a week-end-warrior, no pun intended to any ANG folks :( Perhaps I am trying to convince myself if it's worth it, and do I have what it takes :( Cheers,irish3

After the learning curve, it should go a lot faster. Tutorial flights are included stressing operations in FAA and non-FAA airspace - some rules being different unlike the default FS ATC. If accepting airport defaults and entering your aircraft class and radio callsign, enter the FS/FX flight plan in it (including your requested cruise altitude) and go. Now you must have your FX/FS flight ready with its matching plan with your weather loaded and active. It is getting the aircraft ready and setting up the weather that takes the most time. RC is the last to be activated.If you want to fly under anybody's ATC control, then "serious simmer" it is whether weekend or more frequently.

Having just read a review (can't recall the date) concerning RC4 and looking at it's user's guide, it would appearthat this jewel is for hard core/serious simmers. I would certainly enjoy the realism it has to offer, but it must take 15 minutes just set up for a flight of less than 500 miles. So, I guess it boils down to what constitutes a serious simmer, or just a week-end-warrior, no pun intended to any ANG folks :( Perhaps I am trying to convince myself if it's worth it, and do I have what it takes :( Cheers,irish3

Once I've set up a flight plan in FS9 (or FSX), all it takes is to call up RC4, import the same flight plan, set the call sign and general aircraft type and push the start button - takes me 2 minutes, max. You should be aware, however, that RC4 is for IFR flights - it doesn't really support VFR, although you can cancel IFR at any time. It expects you to stay on track and hit all the waypoints, but you can set how much tolerance is allowed. You can make the flightplan as simple or as complicated as you want. when you are starting, it's a good idea to fly an aircraft with a good autopilot that you are familiar with, probably a prop aircraft that's not too fast. You have the option of having a virtual copilot handle the radio calls, or even take over flying the aircraft. You don't really have to be a "hard core" simmer to use RC4, unless you want to use all the advanced options such as holding patterns, VOR/NDB/GPS approaches. RC4 will normally give you radar vectors (heading instructions) as you near your destination to either an ILS approach or a visual approach.Dale

Dale

what are you doing in that 15 minutes? if it is flight planning, you have to do that anyway? but i can go from no apps running, to rc and fs running, ready for clearance in less than 2 minutes, assuming you have a .plnjd

I agree with jd's and tanker's comments. Starting RC4 and loading up a flight plan takes only one minute at the most.

Looking back now, I would say that the size of the users guide threw me a curve. No doubt it is a top notch add-on. Large manuals have that kind of effect on me :( .Tks for the input guys. Cheers,irish3

Guest cjkawa

Hi Folks,I'm a little late getting in on the discussion, but if you will allow me...I have been looking at RC for quite a while and only recently discovered VOX. I am pursuing my PPL and beyond and have set up my FS9 as a "tool." As such, I only "fly" A/C that I can forsee I will ever actually pilot in real life which necessarily limits my practice to small-to-midsize GA singles and twins. Maybe I am wrong, but RC and VOX both seem to target the big iron. Is this accurate or is the product capable of enhancing my ability to simulate my training efforts in the small planes?Your thoughts, please?Fair winds,Calvin

Take a look at Proflight emulator.. works reasonable well. Altough RC is more robust, it has much better and nicer atc at the moment.Some points:- RC is fast for a startup- VOX doesnt care for the AI in FS9- Proflight has best sounds- RC has annoying US sounds- In VOX you need to talk and learn the speech to MS systems- Proflight seems to loose you now and then- RC works all the time, whatever you do.- Proflight has more ATC issues, RC is more straight. (climbs, altitudes, speeds)- etcNow if Proflight would be merged with RC were set.Oh on a side note, I wonder why the Proflight emulator needs the old proflight? it could be a one pass in one program and integrated with FDC to have a total airliner environment.Dave?Johan.

RC 4 cares mostly about if you are IFR or operating under ATC controlled flight. It does not do VFR. It does however let you simulate filing a flight plan via telephone to FSS or the equivalent from an uncontrolled airport and then contacting ATC within a designated window once you are airborne. This would be typical for some GA plans. Likewise, you can terminate radar services in flight or RC will once you are in line for the approach procedure.RC defines four aircraft types that you select:1. Heavy Jet2. Jet3. Turbo-Prop4. Propwhich affects some of the handling.

Hi Folks,-------------------------------snip------------------------ Maybe I am wrong, but RC and VOX both seem to target the big iron. Is this accurate or is the product capable of enhancing my ability to simulate my training efforts in the small planes?Your thoughts, please?Fair winds,Calvin