Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Stutters with my new 280GTX :o(

Just cleaned out the former nV drivers for my 8800GT, driver cleaner'ed, reboot, installed latest nV WHQL for a new 280GTX. Rechecked for all on NickN's tweaks intact and current, defragged and rebooted a couple times: can't get rid of stutters. I understand the 280GTX is not a true asset for FSX over my former wonder card, but this is not good. I'm at a loss of what to look at. It's stable, frames are ok, but herky jerky sucks wind. I've tried unlimited and locked frames, both tend to stutter. Nice to have the better perf in other games, but this has got to go. Tried bufferpools of different size, no real help. IQ is fine, as is frames. It's just a bit herky jerky.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Hello Noel,Are you using the 181.22 drivers at the moment?? If so, I would recommend that you try the 181.20 drivers. I was experiencing some issues with the 181.22 drivers and stuttering was one of them. The 181.20's are the best drivers that I have used thus far for FSX. I can't say its going to fix the problem but it just might help.

Hello Noel,Are you using the 181.22 drivers at the moment?? If so, I would recommend that you try the 181.20 drivers. I was experiencing some issues with the 181.22 drivers and stuttering was one of them. The 181.20's are the best drivers that I have used thus far for FSX. I can't say its going to fix the problem but it just might help.
Yes, 181.22. I am using XP SP2 though, not Vista 64, so it's probably apples n oranges. Your last comment troubles me: have you had stutters with your GTX280? Seems like such a solid card in other games/sims. If I can't resolve this I will have to send it back to newegg. So hard to troubleshoot these things sometimes. I have a decent PSS, so I doubt that's the culprit, esp in FSX since it isn't as heavy a GPU user.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Yes, 181.22. I am using XP SP2 though, not Vista 64, so it's probably apples n oranges. Your last comment troubles me: have you had stutters with your GTX280? Seems like such a solid card in other games/sims. If I can't resolve this I will have to send it back to newegg. So hard to troubleshoot these things sometimes. I have a decent PSS, so I doubt that's the culprit, esp in FSX since it isn't as heavy a GPU user.
Noel,I had issues with the 181.22 drivers causing FSX to stutter. I have NO issues with FSX using the 181.20 drivers.

Noel,I had issues with the 181.22 drivers causing FSX to stutter. I have NO issues with FSX using the 181.20 drivers.
OK, I have 181.20's installed and it does seem better--thanks!Sarg, you and me have similar systems, except I am running XP SP2. I have a new P5E3 mainboard now since my former one is being repaired and I am going to sell it to a local friend when it returns--I hosed the BIOS and so it needed a new EPROM chip or programming outside the scope of what an end user can do and ASUS is repairing it now. What's making me really wonder now is that I STILL have the audio popping sounds mentioned previously! This is true with either onboard SoundMax, or a separate pro audio card. With my 8800GT, as long as I used the 169.x drivers, I had no audio popping even when overclocked. Now with my EVGA 280GTX, I am right back to audio popping, and of course, there are no 169.x drivers for this card. So, I have new mainboard/Soundmax, new video card, and still have audio issues with FSX. Very weird indeed. Memory checks out error free. All this is prompting me to either send back the 280GTX which I don't want to do since it's nice in other games, or install Vista 64 which I have unopened in a box now for about . . . a year! Perhaps the audio issue with change with Vista 64, I don't know. And again, no audio with the 169.x Lotsa hassle and expense really for a few more frames in Crysis and a few other titles.What do you think of Vista 64?

Noel

I'll have to try those 180.20 as well, as my new i7/gtx280 is stuttering as well when I'm low to the ground or making turns.I've been defragging, trying different OS's etc without a perfect solution.I've tried Vista 64, XP 32 and XP64 of them all strangely XP 32 seemed the best,but its hard to tell with so many variables in setups.Vista 64 was the most problem prone, with stutters and flashing textures, etc.It's my main OS so I'd like to get it working.Here's what has helped Vista 64:+ Removed the bufferpools entry in fsx.cfg+ Space / Name defrag per Nicks tips+ Run settings at 19m terrain/ 1m textures, 7cm textures seem to increase stutters flying lowStill not happy with the i7/280 Vista 64 setup for FSX but its improving...Note my old 280 worked fine with FSX on a quad core.Simple test I do is fly about 500 ft or so above a runway, with the new setup the runway numbers flicker/stutter its very easy to see.Vista 64 is fine otherwise but unless you run a lot of add ons with FSX I'm not sure its that different than a 32 bit OS?

OK, I have 181.20's installed and it does seem better--thanks!Sarg, you and me have similar systems, except I am running XP SP2. I have a new P5E3 mainboard now since my former one is being repaired and I am going to sell it to a local friend when it returns--I hosed the BIOS and so it needed a new EPROM chip or programming outside the scope of what an end user can do and ASUS is repairing it now. What's making me really wonder now is that I STILL have the audio popping sounds mentioned previously! This is true with either onboard SoundMax, or a separate pro audio card. With my 8800GT, as long as I used the 169.x drivers, I had no audio popping even when overclocked. Now with my EVGA 280GTX, I am right back to audio popping, and of course, there are no 169.x drivers for this card. So, I have new mainboard/Soundmax, new video card, and still have audio issues with FSX. Very weird indeed. Memory checks out error free. All this is prompting me to either send back the 280GTX which I don't want to do since it's nice in other games, or install Vista 64 which I have unopened in a box now for about . . . a year! Perhaps the audio issue with change with Vista 64, I don't know. And again, no audio with the 169.x Lotsa hassle and expense really for a few more frames in Crysis and a few other titles.What do you think of Vista 64?
I love Vista x64 for FSX and would not go back now. I have experienced the most fluid flight experience in FSX with Vista x64. I asked you back on SimForums to try a bufferpool tweak to help get rid of the sound issue and I'm going to ask you to do it again. Try raising the poolsize to 512MB thats 512000000. For some reason (at least on my P5E3 with Vista x64 in conjunction with the 181.20 driver) it causes the DPC Latency to decrease significantly and remain under 1000us which translates into NO sound issues. I know the tweak is unconvenetional but it works for me and it has worked for a few others that have tried it. I still think we are learning about just how FSX works. If you by chance experience some type of graphic corruption with the tweak restart FSX or lower the the size of the poolsize just slightly. I have found that a setting between 425MB and 512MB works best (the higher the better though). I have also experienced that setting the poolsize to anything less will not effect the latency enough to stop the crackling. I think this problem has to do with the interaction of FSX in DX9 mode with our particular MOBO/Chipset.....maybe a bios update could fix it....but I do not have the crackling/ sound issue with any other titles (at least thus far) or when running FSX in DX10 Preview mode.

I love Vista x64 for FSX and would not go back now. I have experienced the most fluid flight experience in FSX with Vista x64. I asked you back on SimForums to try a bufferpool tweak to help get rid of the sound issue and I'm going to ask you to do it again.
Sarg, I tried that and all other suggestions back then, to no avail. As mentioned in the other post, I have Vista 64 installed now and will have to see what it takes to get that running since Vista is new to me. MANY unintuitive things in Vista! Ugg! Pretty interface tho, and now 64 bit has to be good. I am keeping Vista lean as possible--only FSX will be installed. Sarg, I've followed NickN's setup guide for FSX in XP, but haven't a clue what's critical in Vista. Where should I look for that?So far, the dual-boot strategy I decided on seems good: I use the F8 BBS popup in the BIOS, and used the hide the Vista drive from XP reg tweak to keep restore points intact in Vista, for what they are worth. Seems to work well so far. Can you give me the top few things to do in Vista to lean it out for FSX, or point me to the best guide? Dunno if Nick's guide applies . . .

Noel

Here is a guide by Nick. http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...?num=1208959973 and it has comments/exceptions for Vista.
Thank you Ulf

Noel

Guest Alphahawk3
OK, This is going to be somewhat long but it is almost the same as my experience after a month of trying to fix it. I can't see your specs as I am writing this but I believe you have a new Asus P5 board and I know you have the SoundMax. It has got to go. I have the Asus P6T Deluxe and it has SoundMax also. In the last month I can't tell you how many post I read on Asus boards with this SoundMax problem....my board just starting to show up as it has only been out for a few months....but yours and many of their other models have the same problem. This has been going on for some time but Asus seems to turn a blind eye to it. Sarge helped me fix a big part of my problem...I had stutters talking with ATC and one big stutter flaring out just before touchdown......with a tool he gave me a link to...DPC Latency tool. While my latency was OK I watched that chart so much that it hit me I had a ground loop problem. I have been in the missile business for almost 30 years and dealt with many boards...used to replace down to chip level. Why it did not occur to me when I installed the board I don't know. The Asus board ships with brass standoffs and just enough washers for the holes...not washers for each side. So I put the washes on top and screwed the board down. Around each screw hole is solder bumps to make contact with the type of screw that is used to tighten down the board....in other words they are ground points.....to make sure you have a good ground to the case probably for EMI. Now I know maybe someone is going to come on here and argue with me about this but all I know is if the board had to be isolated from the case they would use plastic standoffs. I called Asus tech support and she informed me after I told her my symptoms "You have a ground loop problem". She also said the washers had to be under the board. Well you try to get those to stay in place as you put that board on....impossible plus it made no sense....and the book never mentions those washers. The solder rings were under the board also...but even so you are still using brass standoffs so you are going to have some connection with the case. With the board out I took a multimeter and did an ohms check from one screw hole to the next...they are connected...so that proved my theory. I removed the washers and put the board back in and not one stutter yet from landing or talking to ATC. The Asus tech wanted me to lay the board on a magazine and test it out isolated from the case. I did that and no stutters but keep in mind when that board is in that case and closed up EMI is all over the place....not like it is out of the case. OK my biggest problem solved...it has not returned and I have been flying this thing for 7 to 9 hours a day since I did that. I had the pop and crackle from day one with the SoundMax and I thought when I fixed the stutter problem the popping, static, and noise would be gone also. That was not the case. I have been working on this part of it for 12 hours a day....it has been driving me nuts. The only solution is a separate sound card. I had tried a sound card before I fixed the ground loop and I thought it made no difference so I took it out....I had to fix one problem to really isolate the other. I finally read enough that I was convinced this is a huge issue with lots....not everyone....of the Asus boards that have the SoundMax. If you do a Google about it you will see the issues pop up. One of the forums I was on is some supposedly well known clocking site or something...the name Kyle Bennet....does a lot of tests on PC's made the comment he was going to make sure Asus knows about this.....I suspect Asus does know about it but why they don't do something I don't know. I had posted on the P6 forum at Asus...but it is a user forum only and Asus does not respond to posts there.....and even though the P6 is new the same problem you are talking about is showing up in the forums there...not with FSX but about the audio. Some of the models of the board you have comes with RealTech audio...I believe that is right....does not have that problem. So I hope this is your problem and it fixes it. I had spent all this money and I was going nuts over this. Before I figured it out I went to Best Buy of all places and bought a new 9800GT+ 1Gig board to see and put it on my credit card....took it back the next day. Some of the posts I read guys had returned their boards to Asus RMA and the new one they got back was the same...some said they just lived with it and most said they just put in a sound card. Hope this helps you. Regards

OK, This is going to be somewhat long but it is almost the same as my experience after a month of trying to fix it. I can't see your specs as I am writing this but I believe you have a new Asus P5 board and I know you have the SoundMax. It has got to go. I have the Asus P6T Deluxe and it has SoundMax also. In the last month I can't tell you how many post I read on Asus boards with this SoundMax problem....my board just starting to show up as it has only been out for a few months....but yours and many of their other models have the same problem. This has been going on for some time but Asus seems to turn a blind eye to it. Sarge helped me fix a big part of my problem...I had stutters talking with ATC and one big stutter flaring out just before touchdown......with a tool he gave me a link to...DPC Latency tool. While my latency was OK I watched that chart so much that it hit me I had a ground loop problem. I have been in the missile business for almost 30 years and dealt with many boards...used to replace down to chip level. Why it did not occur to me when I installed the board I don't know. The Asus board ships with brass standoffs and just enough washers for the holes...not washers for each side. So I put the washes on top and screwed the board down. Around each screw hole is solder bumps to make contact with the type of screw that is used to tighten down the board....in other words they are ground points.....to make sure you have a good ground to the case probably for EMI. Now I know maybe someone is going to come on here and argue with me about this but all I know is if the board had to be isolated from the case they would use plastic standoffs. I called Asus tech support and she informed me after I told her my symptoms "You have a ground loop problem". She also said the washers had to be under the board. Well you try to get those to stay in place as you put that board on....impossible plus it made no sense....and the book never mentions those washers. The solder rings were under the board also...but even so you are still using brass standoffs so you are going to have some connection with the case. With the board out I took a multimeter and did an ohms check from one screw hole to the next...they are connected...so that proved my theory. I removed the washers and put the board back in and not one stutter yet from landing or talking to ATC. The Asus tech wanted me to lay the board on a magazine and test it out isolated from the case. I did that and no stutters but keep in mind when that board is in that case and closed up EMI is all over the place....not like it is out of the case. OK my biggest problem solved...it has not returned and I have been flying this thing for 7 to 9 hours a day since I did that. I had the pop and crackle from day one with the SoundMax and I thought when I fixed the stutter problem the popping, static, and noise would be gone also. That was not the case. I have been working on this part of it for 12 hours a day....it has been driving me nuts. The only solution is a separate sound card. I had tried a sound card before I fixed the ground loop and I thought it made no difference so I took it out....I had to fix one problem to really isolate the other. I finally read enough that I was convinced this is a huge issue with lots....not everyone....of the Asus boards that have the SoundMax. If you do a Google about it you will see the issues pop up. One of the forums I was on is some supposedly well known clocking site or something...the name Kyle Bennet....does a lot of tests on PC's made the comment he was going to make sure Asus knows about this.....I suspect Asus does know about it but why they don't do something I don't know. I had posted on the P6 forum at Asus...but it is a user forum only and Asus does not respond to posts there.....and even though the P6 is new the same problem you are talking about is showing up in the forums there...not with FSX but about the audio. Some of the models of the board you have comes with RealTech audio...I believe that is right....does not have that problem. So I hope this is your problem and it fixes it. I had spent all this money and I was going nuts over this. Before I figured it out I went to Best Buy of all places and bought a new 9800GT+ 1Gig board to see and put it on my credit card....took it back the next day. Some of the posts I read guys had returned their boards to Asus RMA and the new one they got back was the same...some said they just lived with it and most said they just put in a sound card. Hope this helps you. Regards
Thank you I need to hit the hay now but will read this in the morning . . .

Noel

Finally found a decent i7 / gtx280 base setup for smooth flight:Win7 64 Bit betanVidia 181.20 Drivers, AF 16xFresh FSX Acceleration install, AF AA checked, 19m Terrain, 1m TexturesFSX.cfg changes:widescreen onTBM = 70Thats it.Finally a base that produces stutter free and artifact free flight flying LOW over Toronto with SC and AG turned up.Made an DiscWizard image and now to slowly install addons, and different FSX and GPU settings. My lesson is alot of the FSX tips used in the past on core systems do not work well my evga/i7/gtx280 on any OS, as I tried them all thanks to technet plus!Bufferpools being a big one that comes to mind, and also setting textures to 7cm.Not sure about the usual nHancer suggestions either. As with this setup I just turned AF/AA on in FSX and used the Nvidia CP to set AF to 16x. Its giving very nice IQ that for the 1st time is stutterfree.LOW flight stutterfree over cities is the most important benchmark to me.Bufferpools resulted in graphic glitches galore, and textures at 7cm resulted in stuttering and annoying texture resolution poppingand often blocky textures when close to the ground in the other i7 installs I tried.

Hello,My Lian Li case has built in standoffs that are NOT electrically isolated, and I have never used plastic washers, so I think I'm ok there. There other critical thing to know: my other sound card also does this, only WORSE than the SoundMax! It's not a good DX card though. And also, I have installed a 280GTX with 181.20 drivers, and voila, no sound problem in either XP or Vista 64! Oy!Thanks again for that tip though!

Noel

Guest Alphahawk3
Hello,My Lian Li case has built in standoffs that are NOT electrically isolated, and I have never used plastic washers, so I think I'm ok there. There other critical thing to know: my other sound card also does this, only WORSE than the SoundMax! It's not a good DX card though. And also, I have installed a 280GTX with 181.20 drivers, and voila, no sound problem in either XP or Vista 64! Oy!Thanks again for that tip though!
So for my reference it was the 181.22 drivers causing the problem?