Sign in to follow this  
bpcw001

Real world ATC vs RC question

Hi,I've now been enjoying RC 4 for quite a while and I'm slowly becoming a better pilot ;-)Still, I have one issue where I'd like to know how it works in real world.If I'm being told by RC's controller to descend/climb to a certain altitude and to turn to a certain heading, I proceed as follows:- Listen to what the controller says- Write down the stuff - acknowledge back to controller- start turning the heading bug and setting the new altitude for the autopilot, but while doing this ... blam!Halfway adjusting heading bug and new altitude, I get scolded by the controller about altitude busting or not maintaining the correct heading.Are they expecting me to turn and climb/descend just the split second after having acknowledged the new data?I'm not particularly slow on adjusting the parameters for the autopilot, but I always get whacked for busting altitude/heading before I'm actually done with my autopilot setup.How's that supposed to work in real life? What am I doing wrong? Am I just too slow? Should I acknowledge only after having set the parameters on the autopilot?

Dave P. Woycek

Guest ratata
Hi,I've now been enjoying RC 4 for quite a while and I'm slowly becoming a better pilot ;-)Still, I have one issue where I'd like to know how it works in real world.If I'm being told by RC's controller to descend/climb to a certain altitude and to turn to a certain heading, I proceed as follows:- Listen to what the controller says- Write down the stuff - acknowledge back to controller- start turning the heading bug and setting the new altitude for the autopilot, but while doing this ... blam!Halfway adjusting heading bug and new altitude, I get scolded by the controller about altitude busting or not maintaining the correct heading.Are they expecting me to turn and climb/descend just the split second after having acknowledged the new data?I'm not particularly slow on adjusting the parameters for the autopilot, but I always get whacked for busting altitude/heading before I'm actually done with my autopilot setup.How's that supposed to work in real life? What am I doing wrong? Am I just too slow? Should I acknowledge only after having set the parameters on the autopilot?
Hi!I always acknowledge the command after i have begun my descent/ascent or turn, no more getting scolded.Regards/Ulf

The general rule of thumb is;AVIATE, NAVIGATE, COMMUNICATE... :)Write down the instructions by all means, but begin implementing the directions as soon as "practical" once received. Generally you'll get into the habit of instituting the climb/descent and turns, then writing them donw/responding to ATC.Regards.

What am I doing wrong? Am I just too slow? Should I acknowledge only after having set the parameters on the autopilot?
No, you're not doing anything wrong - it's RC that's at fault here. As ratata has already posted, the workaround is to start your descent/begin the turn before you acknowledge the instruction. Not real world, I know but it keeps RC's over-zealous "watchdog" quiet as the timer doesn't start until you acknowledge.As far as I know, if it hasn't already been put right in v5, it's on the list to be fixed but I'm sure jd can give you the definitive answer on that.Pete

Hi!I always acknowledge the command after i have begun my descent/ascent or turn, no more getting scolded.Regards/Ulf
You can also let your copilot fly (Ctl-Shift M). He begins before hearing the instructions. I have never heard him getting scolded.Phil

You can also let your copilot fly (Ctl-Shift M). He begins before hearing the instructions. I have never heard him getting scolded.Phil
Well ... I'd like to train myself up, especially in dense situations like TO and approach/arrival, so no way that this wizard copilot guy is getting the controls unless established on cruise for a long range flight :-)I didn't know the copilot cheated that much ... LOLAnyway thanks for all your replies. Looks like I'm not the only one having that issue, and I'd definitely appreciate if it was ironed out in the upcoming version of RC.

Dave P. Woycek

I'd definitely appreciate if it was ironed out in the upcoming version of RC.
It is. :(

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather