Sign in to follow this  
bob.bernstein

Tech Manager Position

I see the add is up again for the tech position. No surprise...the add says the position will take "heat", the applicant will have to withstand "pressure", and must supply technical commercially valuable skills.And yet its "volunteer"???Bob

I see the add is up again for the tech position. No surprise...the add says the position will take "heat", the applicant will have to withstand "pressure", and must supply technical commercially valuable skills.And yet its "volunteer"???
Yes it is, as are all positions within AVSIM, including all of our senior management (me included). We want a tech manager who is into the hobby as much as we are. If pay is a requisite for someone applying, then we want to disabuse that before we even start. Besides, if the applicants who have applied to date do not pan out, I get to be the tech manager!!! YEEE HAW!!! Sally bar the door!!!

Yes it is, as are all positions within AVSIM, including all of our senior management (me included). We want a tech manager who is into the hobby as much as we are. If pay is a requisite for someone applying, then we want to disabuse that before we even start. Besides, if the applicants who have applied to date do not pan out, I get to be the tech manager!!! YEEE HAW!!! Sally bar the door!!!
It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it.
Tom is already AVSIM Janitor... this would make it 2 dirty jobs! ;)-m@

Just out of curiosity, What happened to Matt? He was a fixture behind the scenes for a very long time.

Jay EKlund

UVA/GCVA Pile-it

Just out of curiosity, What happened to Matt? He was a fixture behind the scenes for a very long time.
Matt is still here, but his time now in a new job and other interests are keeping him rather busy - that's the reason for a new tech manager.

Matt is still here, but his time now in a new job and other interests are keeping him rather busy - that's the reason for a new tech manager.
And what happened to John Binner? Wasn't he the senior technical person?

Petraeus

And what happened to John Binner? Wasn't he the senior technical person?
Yes he was. He decided he had had enough and wanted to spend more time with VATSIM and flying.

It does seem a shame that senior people like John Binner and Matt Johnson, who have obviously given years of part-time volunteer service to Avsim, should just 'disappear' without a trace. Surely their service was worth at least a paragraph on Avsim's front page, listing their accomplishments, thanking them for all their efforts, wishing them well in the future, etc?At the risk of stating the obvious, new applicants for a Tech Manager position are hardly going to be tempted into signing up for unpaid 'heat' and 'pressure' if, when they finally depart, after months and years of all that, the reward for all their efforts is.............................nothing, not even a mention.

Petraeus

It does seem a shame that senior people like John Binner and Matt Johnson, who have obviously given years of part-time volunteer service to Avsim, should just 'disappear' without a trace. Surely their service was worth at least a paragraph on Avsim's front page, listing their accomplishments, thanking them for all their efforts, wishing them well in the future, etc?At the risk of stating the obvious, new applicants for a Tech Manager position are hardly going to be tempted into signing up for unpaid 'heat' and 'pressure' if, when they finally depart, after months and years of all that, the reward for all their efforts is.............................nothing, not even a mention.
I agree with you 100%.

qwsig_Emil02-1.gif

Thank you for being our conscience. As I said, Matt is still with us. John is off doing what John wants to do. We have fifty some volunteers and no one is deserving or less deserving than the next. Volunteers come and go all the time; that's the way of volunteer organizations. No one gets a front page article when they join or when they leave. Equality and all that. Now I am locking this thread, because our staffing and volunteers are not gist for public discussion.