Sign in to follow this  
Guest uh60james

Can I use PSE with FS Repaint?

Guest uh60james

Is there any way to use photoshop elements 7 as the editor for FS Repaint? I have it set as the editor and it opens when I try to edit but it won't load anything becuase photoshop doesnt support DDS files. If there is no way to do this I am gonna have to say FS Repaint is absolutely worthless.

Guest uh60james

If possible please delete this post. I found answers elsewhere on the forum. FS Repaint is junk.

If possible please delete this post. I found answers elsewhere on the forum. FS Repaint is junk.
FSRepaint is a great program, I use it for years and could not work without it.It`s just a question being smart enough to use it.Work on that detail , and you`ll see.FSRepaint is superb.Leen de JagerPSUse the DDS plug in for PhotoShop OR work with another format and convert afterwards.Stop crying out loud nonsense or start growing tomatoes.

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

DDS files are split into alpha and bitmaps in DTXBmp by Martin Wright. These load into Photoshop for editing. They then recombine back to DDS files when these edited files are loaded back into DTXBmp from Photoshop and saved from DTXBmp. Be sure to only get DTXBmp and new DDL's from Martin's site only. Martin warns that links are not updated with newest versions, and only a recent fix allows use in FSX. I always load back to DTXBmp from Photoshop manually, as this seems less "buggy" and for the reason given in the "PS" below.Now as for FSRepaint, don't even think about any serious repainting without it. There are five main reasons for this.1. It is a super fast viewer of the latest edit as just saved back to DDS from DTXBmp. Takes about 10 seconds.2. You can separately view all the textures of the airplane you are working on.3. Once you view a texture from within FS Repaint, and even if you are working on the same texture in Photoshop, you can edit that FSRepaint texture in real time and see the result instantly on the airplane model. So I mark up that texture (in FSRepaint) as desired and mostly for identification purposes, save it with Alt -Print Screen (copy), open a new window in Photoshop that is 1024 X 1024, hit edit and then paste in Photoshop, and drag it to my edit copy as a reference "instruction" layer that I can turn on and off.Then tips from I learned from Leen (above)..... :( 4. Using the lines pencil, you can drag two cross angled lines on the texture until they visably cross on the 3D airplane model at some point you are looking for from the texture sheet. This will identify any hard to find skin area on that texture sheet, when you see them cross on the 3D airplane model in animated real time.5. You can quickly fill the whole texture sheet with a single color (say red) and see exactly what all that texture sheet covers on the airplane, and in real time. A skin you are looking for may actually be on a different texture !I typically make at least a hundred errors and changes or more. Specific skins and orientations are hard to determine. Without a quick viewer, this would be all but impossible on a practical basis. And it is truly a wonderful viewer besides. In fact, it is absolutely first class ! FSRepaint is worth every penny you pay for it if you really want to repaint.Bob (Las Cruces, NM)PS... I work out of one folder only at all times. That's the texture folder, in FSX, for my new repaint. Then I manually save and load to and from that folder only. That way when working with FSRepaint, DTXBmp and Photoshop, everything is super quick and the "file" windows are all "pointed" to the right place without moving each time. You can then make very quick edits while simply and quickly viewing the results.

Guest uh60james

Thanks, very useful information. Now I'm not so dissapointed with FS Repaint! Everything is working great now.