Sign in to follow this  
Guest cliffie1931

How do we identify the correct STAR for Seattle 34L?

Guest cliffie1931
It looks like you have selected the "as published" arrival OLM6.S which has a track 340 thence vectors command that shows up in the MD11 MCDU as a MANUAL leg.The OLM6.16L enumeration should track 340 from FOURT (crossing FOURT at 12000/220KIAS) then proceeds downwind until a turn to 070 for a base leg, past RB16L at 6000/180KIAS then a turn to 130 to intercept the final course and cross HELZR at 4000, KARFO at 3200 then FAF DGLAS at 1900.My sidstars always include both "as published" and enumerated options for flying either vectors or a connection to the approach. In this case, I provide OLM6.N OLM6.S for "as published and the enumerations OLM6.16C OLM6.16L OLM6.16R etc. for connections to the respective ILS approaches.To use the enumerated options, in this case for ILS16L, on the STAR page first select ILS16L then OLM6.16L and then *INSERT. It will then give you an option for ILS16L transitions but you don't need to select one because I route to the FAF. Just select RETURN TO A-FPLN.
I assume that the category "enumerated" is the following?STAR OLM6.16L FIX OLM 17000 SPEED 280 FIX LACEE FIX ARVAD 12000 SPEED 240 FIX FOURT 12000 SPEED 220 TRK 340 INTERCEPT RADIAL 250 FROM FIX RB16L FIX RB16L 6000 SPEED 180 FIX RI16L FIX CL16L FIX HELZR 4000 FIX KARFO 3200 FIX DGLAS 1900 TRANSITION BTG FIX BTG TRANSITION UBG FIX UBG RNW 16LI'll refly this route again and following your FMS input instructions.Regards.............Cliff

Guest cliffie1931
It looks like you have selected the "as published" arrival OLM6.S which has a track 340 thence vectors command that shows up in the MD11 MCDU as a MANUAL leg.The OLM6.16L enumeration should track 340 from FOURT (crossing FOURT at 12000/220KIAS) then proceeds downwind until a turn to 070 for a base leg, past RB16L at 6000/180KIAS then a turn to 130 to intercept the final course and cross HELZR at 4000, KARFO at 3200 then FAF DGLAS at 1900.My sidstars always include both "as published" and enumerated options for flying either vectors or a connection to the approach. In this case, I provide OLM6.N OLM6.S for "as published and the enumerations OLM6.16C OLM6.16L OLM6.16R etc. for connections to the respective ILS approaches.To use the enumerated options, in this case for ILS16L, on the STAR page first select ILS16L then OLM6.16L and then *INSERT. It will then give you an option for ILS16L transitions but you don't need to select one because I route to the FAF. Just select RETURN TO A-FPLN.
After following your instructions I'm faced with:FOURTMANUALDiscontuityKARFOShould I now insert KARFO into the place of MANUAL?Cliff

Send me an email to downscc@swbell.net and in a couple of hours I will be able to test it at home and verify that it is working. Your MCDU shows FOURT without the altitude/speed constraint, which means for some reason it is not picking the right enumeration. I'll respond to your email from my own workstation.

Dan Downs KCRP

At home, I've tested the OLM6 arrival at KSEA for ILS16 and it is working as expected. My flight plan is KLAX GMN4 EHF J65 CZQ LIN J189 BTG OLM6 KSEA using my GMN4.NOATC departure for runway 25R and arrival OLM6.16L with ILS16L:Note ND in PLN mode display showns the downwind from FOURT and the ACT F-PLN reveals the fixes I used to build the standard radar traffic pattern for the approach. There is no MANUAL segment because I don't use VECTORS in the enumerated arrivals. Hope this helps.Make sure you are adding the sidstar files to the correct location (depends on platform). Make sure you select ILS16L first then select OLM6.16L (not OLM6.S) and then the BTG transition. If you are not seeing both OLM6.S & OLM6.16L available after selecting ILS16L (for example you only see OLM6 plus the other arrivals) then you don't have my sidstar files copied to the correct location.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest cliffie1931
At home, I've tested the OLM6 arrival at KSEA for ILS16 and it is working as expected. My flight plan is KLAX GMN4 EHF J65 CZQ LIN J189 BTG OLM6 KSEA using my GMN4.NOATC departure for runway 25R and arrival OLM6.16L with ILS16L:Note ND in PLN mode display showns the downwind from FOURT and the ACT F-PLN reveals the fixes I used to build the standard radar traffic pattern for the approach. There is no MANUAL segment because I don't use VECTORS in the enumerated arrivals. Hope this helps.Make sure you are adding the sidstar files to the correct location (depends on platform). Make sure you select ILS16L first then select OLM6.16L (not OLM6.S) and then the BTG transition. If you are not seeing both OLM6.S & OLM6.16L available after selecting ILS16L (for example you only see OLM6 plus the other arrivals) then you don't have my sidstar files copied to the correct location.
Thanks for your responses Dan. Midnight here so will work on your comments tomorrow.Cliff

Guest cliffie1931
I thought I'd cracked it but not quite yet.1. Previously I hadn't added a transition so, on my latest attempt after selecting ILS16L and OLM6.16L, I looked for your BTG but the only options were COROK and PAE. I chose the first of the two options which was COROK. That closed the previously broken red Flight line and I thought I'd cracked it.Unfortunately not as when we should have turned about 180 degrees right instead we we turned 180 degrees left. Then headed for the runway but overflew it at about 4,000 ft.2.Maybe the problem lies with my not understanding your remark that "If you are not seeing both OLM6.S & OLM6.16L available after selecting ILS16L (for example you only see OLM6 plus the other arrivals) then you don't have my sidstar files copied to the correct location.Please be good enough to explain what files should be copied to what location.Regards.................Cliff

Guest CX355
Cliff,The most common real life route is SGD1 RBL BTG OLM6, so that would be the Olympia 6 arrival with the Battleground transition.You can look up routes for the US here:http://flightaware.com/statistics/ifr-route/
This is correct, OLY6 and Battleground VOR. This N-S routing is known as "I-5" corridor to the locals here. Vincent

Cliff, FOURT is part of the OLM6.16L STAR. BTG is the exit point for the J189 Airway and also one of the transition fix for the STAR.Following Dan example above all you would need to do is select BTG, goto the Star prompt, then select ILS16L and OLM6.16L. Underneath that you will see BTG as the Transition, then select that.Your pic looks like you manually put FOURT in, that's why you don't have 220 10000 restriction as that is part of the restriction for that waypoint in the star.

Nathan

Yeah I mean in real life it's very important to note that ATC will not hesitate to take you off your programmed route as you approach the terminal area. If this happens in real life, you're just going to engage HDG mode and do what they say, not sit there trying to figure out how to do their commands using the FMS etc...
I agree with you entirely. Its probably actually easier to just set the hdg or just hand fly it because you simply do not have enough time in the real world to mess with the fmc.

<<Please be good enough to explain what files should be copied to what location.>>Easy: Either FS9 or FSX, they go in the PMDG/SIDSTARS folder. If you have both, both folders need to be kept current. Earlier you had paste a part of my sidstar to a post above so I know you got them... just make sure they are in the right place.<<Previously I hadn't added a transition so, on my latest attempt after selecting ILS16L and OLM6.16L, I looked for your BTG but the only options were COROK and PAE>> Neither of these are transitions for any of the KSEA STARs. The are transitions for the ILS approach. I think Nathan pointed out the correct place to look for the STAR transition.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest cliffie1931
<<Please be good enough to explain what files should be copied to what location.>>Easy: Either FS9 or FSX, they go in the PMDG/SIDSTARS folder. If you have both, both folders need to be kept current. Earlier you had paste a part of my sidstar to a post above so I know you got them... just make sure they are in the right place.<<Previously I hadn't added a transition so, on my latest attempt after selecting ILS16L and OLM6.16L, I looked for your BTG but the only options were COROK and PAE>> Neither of these are transitions for any of the KSEA STARs. The are transitions for the ILS approach. I think Nathan pointed out the correct place to look for the STAR transition.
My thank to all of you who have tried to help!With my appreciation...................Cliff