Sign in to follow this  
turner112

Would you buy an XBOX 360 for FSXI?

Hypothetically thinking, here...With the suggestion that MS may have been considering leaning more toward "gaming", there's some thought that FSXI, should it ever see the light of day, may end up on 360.Hard drive capacity is easily enough; I don't have the technical knowledge to know whether the hardware can "keep up", butThe ifs:IF FSXI were released on XBOX 360 or the next iteration,IF all navaids and airports were included,IF a joystick/yoke/pedals became available,IF the graphics ran fluidly on an HD TV,Would you buy a setup?Personally, I have an XBOX now; however, I'd say that the experience of running FS fluidly on a widescreen TV seems pretty gripping to me, enough to have compelled me to purchase if I didn't have one.I happen to feel that the addition of a gaming element - if the rest of the sim remained largely intact - seems too good to pass up. I know there are lots of folks who are vehemently against this type of "toy".Your thoughts?

Guest kwilson

What do you mean the hard drive capacity is easily enough?Maybe to hold the program but what about all those addons (especially photoreal scenery)?What about extra hardware like goflight modules as well as good joysticks (instead of crappy MS ones)?In theory, I wouldn't have a problem with a console that could run FS fluidly (instead of waiting for a computer to be released in 2 years time) but the compromises you would have to make... Would it still run fluidly with a complex airliner addon? with addon scenery? Or would it only be fluid on a default installation?

Hard drive: assume you can use a larger capacity internal drive, or connect sufficient external storage.Fluidity: to perform to same standards as current console titles, including performance of addons?[edit] Hardware: I guess whatever is currently operable through USB.. I'm not as familiar with current hardware and use a Saitek AV8R. Used to use ch yoke & pedals 'til the old gameport interface went out of style.

What do you mean the hard drive capacity is easily enough?Maybe to hold the program but what about all those addons (especially photoreal scenery)?What about extra hardware like goflight modules as well as good joysticks (instead of crappy MS ones)?In theory, I wouldn't have a problem with a console that could run FS fluidly (instead of waiting for a computer to be released in 2 years time) but the compromises you would have to make... Would it still run fluidly with a complex airliner addon? with addon scenery? Or would it only be fluid on a default installation?

I'm dying to know how you add content to an X-Box game :(

Hi Robert-Technically speaking, it's easy - four primary ways are through CD/DVD, USB, ethernet, or wifi.. that's technically speaking. I guess you could say their XBOX Marketplace, too, would be via ethernet/wireless.That said, it has to be allowed by MS. Luckily, it's their console. Since we're speculating here, might as well assume it's allowed.

I'm dying to know how you add content to an X-Box game :(

NO!! I have an XBOX 360 and a PS2, hardly use them. It's been proven that if a design studio develops for both platforms., one of them usually suffers and the studio usually sides with the one they percieve as the money maker, which lately is the console. So if I have to choose, I choose the PC.If a console can do all that you are wanting it to do with FS, then really isn't that a PC now?

Best, Michael

KDFW

Why did I say NO?Because I enjoy getting the best performance out of my system.Adding new hardware, new scenery, and tweaking configurations is fun.Learning how to make your own scenery is a challenge but very rewarding.On an XBOX, I don't think you could do this.Flying is fun, but I would get board after a month or two.

Hi Mike,Not really - the specific question is whether you'd buy an XBOX to use FSXI.Whether a console can be considered as a PC.. since they're not anywhere close to the configurability of a tower, I wouldn't assume that if you're using a console you're -really- just using a PC anyway. I suppose one main "between the lines" thing here is the idea of creating a program to be run on a very limited range of system hardware.

If a console can do all that you are wanting it to do with FS, then really isn't that a PC now?