Sign in to follow this  
turner112

Would you buy an XBOX 360 for FSXI?

Guest Alphahawk3

I knew this topic would come up. It is about time for the next generation of consoles to come out. Don't think for one minute they are not powerful computers. All the accessories one would need for flight sim could be made at the drop of a hat....anyone that will get on here and say that it can't is just misinformed...stupid...or both. If you will read about all 3 of the big players only the Wii has made money. Sony makes them at a huge loss and MS started in that business because of Gates ego and he did not want to be left out.....lost 4 billion dollars until this year and maybe they will start making money off of them...yes that is right lost 4 billion dollars....look it up....these are facts. Same with the Zune..as in no one wants one. Where it will go is anyones guess. Zune worked it's way up to 10 percent of the market while IPod has 63%. I will get around to answering the question in just a few minutes. I just spent 1200 dollars on a new i7 920 build for FSX but really for....what I thought would soon be....a release of FS11 or FS...something. I could have bought a nice 37 inch HD TV and an PS3 with that money but I wanted it just for flight sim. Well I still have FSX and it will do for a while. But we all know it has lots of flaws and we were waiting for the next release. Now that may not come. I don't know how much clearer it can get when you read the news articles that ACES has been closed....finished...kaput. It may start up again but how far out would that be....someone else may buy it....but I highly doubt that. Someone may develop another flight sim. Who knows? I do know this. If MSFS comes out with an amazing FS11 on an XBox with a keyboard..yoke....joystick....and all the peripherals we have on a PC I would be at the store tomorrow. Now before I get hate mail please read all the ifs. I will also go so far as to say all those who say with their emphatic NO that 95% of you will be getting one too. Remember about saying "never". Why would anyone not continue their hobby if nothing in it changed except that it got better? Does anyone think it would not be a sim because you are using a console? What is the difference....remember read the ifs. This is an ever evolving world and the PC is changing directions with the rest of it. When FSX came out all the forums were full of heated discussions about how horrible or how good it was.....has everyone forgotten? People were going to stay with FS9 until FS11 came out....but a lot of them have migrated to FSX. If FS11 comes out on the console we...meaning we as a whole will migrate to it. I...like many others do not want that to happen...but I want the hobby to advance...and don't tell me it can't advance on a console...it can if all of what I said earlier happens. Only time will tell with all of this but if my "ifs" are met I say yes. Regards

No I won't. I don't mind to spend money on my hobby, but I won't buy another kind of computer. Besides, where do I find the room to place a second set of monitors and the other hardware? Jan

If FS11 is developed for Xbox 360, it will be dumbed down to the level of casual gamers. That is not what flight simulation enthusiasts are looking for.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi Jan,Even now, an XBOX can easily be connected to a monitor with an adapter cable. As far as the other hardware, it may be as easy as MS allowing standard USB connectivity.cheersAndrew

No I won't. I don't mind to spend money on my hobby, but I won't buy another kind of computer. Besides, where do I find the room to place a second set of monitors and the other hardware? Jan

Guys, there is NO WAY, a flight sim could be on 360.Please, again PLEASE read this post and the rest of the posts. Link to the post will be belowhttp://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?s=&...t&p=1537935If you can read the whole post, and near the bottom I wrote like 1/4 of the reasons why FSX can not be on the 360.Sorry if the tone sounds bad, but if you read like 2-3 posts down you will see why i make font size bigger, type in caps, or put things in bold...Please respond, if you read and understand why the 360 cannot run a flight sim. Just want to make sure.

In theory: NO!But if it had really nice eye candy and was as geographically accurate as FSX + UTX + GEX + Mesh:Why not!Not as a replacement for PC flying, but as a complement to it. Sit on my sofa and cruise around on my giant screen TV. Hey, if it's fun - it's fun. And fun is the only reason I'm here.

In theory: NO!But if it had really nice eye candy and was as geographically accurate as FSX + UTX + GEX + Mesh:Why not!Not as a replacement for PC flying, but as a complement to it. Sit on my sofa and cruise around on my giant screen TV. Hey, if it's fun - it's fun. And fun is the only reason I'm here.
Again everyone, please read this post, I made a direct link to the post so you do not have to find it:http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?s=&...t&p=1537935

The question here is not whether it's possible to run FSX on XBOX 360. Assume it can be done, or, at least, on whatever model comes next if you like.

Again everyone, please read this post, I made a direct link to the post so you do not have to find it:http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?s=&...t&p=1537935

No. Doesn't matter why... I'm not about to offer Microsoft some form of 'goals' to meet to convince me to shell out hundreds of dollars on a console that I don't need just so I can play a game I never wanted to begin with.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I agree I don't think FS is conducive to a X-BOX/Live environment, and I don't think that will happen. I do think there is enough evidence, with the new Job Postings floating out there, that if there is a resurrection of FS, it'll be on a Games for Windows Live environment. What doesn't make sense is why they just didn't use the Ace's group to do it. Unless the goal was to outsource the work to get cheaper labor. Note the key phase in the public job posting. "Locate and establish solid working relationships with outsource vendors".

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I agree I don't think FS is conducive to a X-BOX/Live environment, and I don't think that will happen. I do think there is enough evidence, with the new Job Postings floating out there, that if there is a resurrection of FS, it'll be on a Games for Windows Live environment. What doesn't make sense is why they just didn't use the Ace's group to do it. Unless the goal was to outsource the work to get cheaper labor. Note the key phase in the public job posting. "Locate and establish solid working relationships with outsource vendors".
NO, NEVERBecause my simulator is PC based, and I can't switch over now! Besides, if I'm not flying, I'm to busy playing the drums on the WII with my son :( I hate the day, when I'm forced to retire at 65. Flight Simulator, as real as it gets right? Or can I break that rule? :( RJ

NO !!I would not want to give up high resolutions and be limited to 1080. Nor would I want to give up my multi-monitor setup. Nor would I want to return it every 6-12 months to get it fixed.

NO, NEVERBecause my simulator is PC based, and I can't switch over now! Besides, if I'm not flying, I'm to busy playing the drums on the WII with my son :( I hate the day, when I'm forced to retire at 65. Flight Simulator, as real as it gets right? Or can I break that rule? :( RJ
Games for Windows Live is on the PC!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Games for Windows Live is on the PC!
I'm out of luck I guess, my Flight Sim hardware is not conncted to the internet, and never will be.Edit. I'm not out of luck.RJ

I'm out of luck I guess, my Flight Sim hardware is not conncted to the internet, and never will be.
Why? Titles developed for LIVE may be used off-line and solo now. Why do you think it would be any different with a Flight Sim title???

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator