Sign in to follow this  
Noel

With Vista 64 + DX10 gpu, what does DirectX 10 offer, and can you go back to DX9?

I am dual booting to a new Vista 64 installation, and wonder if I should install DX10 for FSX (or other titles). I currently plan to just keep Vista 64 as lean as possible, and use it only for FSX.Can you go back to DirectX 9.0c if you wish, or no?THanks,Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I am dual booting to a new Vista 64 installation, and wonder if I should install DX10 for FSX (or other titles). I currently plan to just keep Vista 64 as lean as possible, and use it only for FSX.Can you go back to DirectX 9.0c if you wish, or no?THanks,Noel
Noel,You do not need install or uninstall anything. If you wish to run FSX in DX9 mode leave DX10 Preview mode unchecked in the FSX configuration panel. If you wish to run in DX10 Preview mode check the option in the FSX configuration panel and restart FSX to run in DX10 Preview mode. DirectX in itself is backwards compatible so there is nothing you need to do with DirectX itself other than keep it up to date. With your system you are going to find no benefit to running in DX10 Preview mode the graphic quality is horrible to what can be attained under DX9. You also have no control over Vsync, AA or AF under DX10 Preview mode in FSX (those settings are under exclusive control of FSX in this mode and cannot be manipulated manually in any way).

Noel,You do not need install or uninstall anything. If you wish to run FSX in DX9 mode leave DX10 Preview mode unchecked in the FSX configuration panel. If you wish to run in DX10 Preview mode check the option in the FSX configuration panel and restart FSX to run in DX10 Preview mode. DirectX in itself is backwards compatible so there is nothing you need to do with DirectX itself other than keep it up to date. With your system you are going to find no benefit to running in DX10 Preview mode the graphic quality is horrible to what can be attained under DX9. You also have no control over Vsync, AA or AF under DX10 Preview mode in FSX (those settings are under exclusive control of FSX in this mode and cannot be manipulated manually in any way).
Thanks Sarg. Some good news anyway: in Vista 64 I am not having audio pops with the 181.20 drivers. That's a first. It is with my 8800GT, so I will try the 280GTX next and see how that goes. I guess from what you are saying, there is not too much point in DX10 installation, or no? Would it help in Vista with other games, such as Crysis?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I guess from what you are saying, there is not too much point in DX10 installation, or no? Would it help in Vista with other games, such as Crysis?
Vista comes with DX10 already installed - no need to install anything, just keep it updated if you use it. If a game requires DX9, Vista will fallback to DX9 mode.

Vista comes with DX10 already installed - no need to install anything, just keep it updated if you use it. If a game requires DX9, Vista will fallback to DX9 mode.
Ah, that explains it :(

Noel

Carl,Thanks for clarifying my rambling explanation. :(