Sign in to follow this  
stevewhatmore

How to check which runway is in use

Whilst flying is there a way of checking which runway is in use to land some time before you get in range of the tower?I know that you can use Afcad to close runways.Is this the only way to do this. thanks for the help steve

By getting in range of the tower, I assume you mean ATIS. If however you're flying VFR just tune into the ATIS freq. at about 60NM out. Other than that, I don't know if there is a better solution...

thanks for that.whilst flying IFR i would like to know which Star to use for which runwayas you can tell im not very good at thsi yet. steve

Guest cuizinier

Hi,This is a limitation in FS. I would love to be able to catch the ATIS earlier but it is not possible as far as I knowAnyway, the runway in use is determined by the direction of the wind. So it depend of the weather program you use (if you use any).I use AS 6.5 so before starting the flight I use AS to check weather at destination airport. I case of long haul flight (weather might change) and AS configured to online mode (update the weather by downloading it), when I am 200 nm from destination, I check again either in AS or on the web (http://www.aviatorjoe.net/go/wx/ - give you real weather that is very similar to the one downloaded by AS). If you use AS in offline mode (no update on the weather) you just have to check at the begining of the flight.If you don't use any weather program, (default FS weather) and set to real weather you could try using the above mentioned website (I don't know if FS weather fit the real world metar but it is worth trying)hope it helpcheersJulien

thanks for that.whilst flying IFR i would like to know which Star to use for which runwayas you can tell im not very good at thsi yet.
Steve,As Julien has said this an FS limitation and there is no way of getting good at it :( . Unless you have Active Sky and you use default online weather like I do, retrieve the Metar (available on many aviation related website) for your destination airport before your flight and plan your arrival runway accordingly. I know this won't be 100% accurate but it does work most of the time.

Steve,As Julien has said this an FS limitation and there is no way of getting good at it :( . Unless you have Active Sky and you use default online weather like I do, retrieve the Metar (available on many aviation related website) for your destination airport before your flight and plan your arrival runway accordingly. I know this won't be 100% accurate but it does work most of the time.
It is one of those FS9 maddening things Steve. You feel you need to stab a guess at which runway you'll be assigned for landing, then halfway through your descent you finally get ATIS coming at at 60nm from airport, only to find it's the other runway in use. Big panic trying to reprogram the FMS. Suddenly 60nm becomes 10 to go and your way too high.As you can't interact with ATC like in the real world, you can follow two simulation methods1. Try to be realistic about itAs noted above, you can use addon programs to give accurate weather, study the weather at arrival airport, and figure out which runway it's likely to be, based on the fact you'll be assigned the most into the wind approach. Sometimes you'll be wrong, so be prepared to alter course.Alternative realistic - get Radar contact and be vectored in by ATC to the correct runway in a realistic manner. Remember in the real world ATC have priority over your planned route in the FMS or GPS, so following ATC route rather than your magenta line is realistic.2. Cheat!Set up your weather in FS, then go to your arrival airport active runway, and see which one is in use. Now go back to your Departure airport and start your flight.Alternative cheat- decide which runway you would like to have a go at landing on, then set the weather in FS for a headwind on that runway, so want to land on runway 27, then set the wind at 270 degrees.If there are multiple runways, then fly in to that airport regularly, and you'll get to know which runway FS uses for landing.