Sign in to follow this  
PeterR

Flying choppers in FS2002

Hi,I'm having a bit of trouble with flying choppers in fs2002. I've just learned how to fly helicopters in the real world and i tried it in flight sim and it was very difficult. Please help. :-zhelpGordon "Tank" SpeirsPilot's Licence - months of training. Buy Aircraft - tens of thousands of dollars. Danger of Death - enormous. Spilling your Ribena in the cockpit whilst preforming a barrel roll - Priceless.

Guest Smiley

I've read from those that have flown RL helicopters and this sim that the realism setting can be turned down to the 50% mark for closest accuracy. The General setting is the only one I mess with. Everything at full realism except the General slider at the top.Hope this helps.PPL SEL no RL rotor wing time.

I've found that setting General Realism to one click below maximum works nicely. Don't use the maximum setting because the sim goes bananas. One click below max makes a huge difference.Oh, and setting the joystick to maximum sensitivity and zero null zone helps a lot too. Otherwise, you have to move the stick too much.Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums ModeratorRenegade/Seawolf Design Group (RSDG)[table border=2 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=1][tr][td][table border=0 cellpadding=8 cellspacing=0][tr][td bgcolor=#540000]http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75t.gif[/td][td align="center" bgcolor=#FFFFF6]Bush Flying Unlimited"At home in the wild"Looking for adventure? Come join us! * [link:bfu.avsim.net|Web Site] * [link:www.cafepress.com/bfu,bfu2,bfu3,bfu4|BFU Store] * [link:bfu.avsim.net/join.htm]Join!][/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table

Thanks guys i'll try that out later, but one thing that was bothering me was that i don't have seperate controls over the collective and throttle. I'm currantly working on building rudder pedals, but i were to build seperate systems for example, a collective, and you twist the top of the handle to increase the throttle, like you do on real choppers, will flight simulator support that, or even FSUIPC?Gordon "Tank" SpeirsPilot's Licence - months of training. Buy Aircraft - tens of thousands of dollars. Danger of Death - enormous. Spilling your Ribena in the cockpit whilst preforming a barrel roll - Priceless.

Interesting idea, Gordon. Currently, the "throttle" input adjusts the collective. I'm not sure if FSUIPC would give you access to the actual helo throttle but it just might. All the helos I fly in FS2002 have governors so you set the throttle to 100% and leave it there. Have you run into any models that require adjusting the throttle when changing the collective?Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums ModeratorRenegade/Seawolf Design Group (RSDG)

I haven't run into any models yet. But im going to contact Peter Dowson and ask him if FSUIPC supports this or will ever support this. As for the model, i guess we'll have to wait until someone creates one which will, other than that, i'll have to learn how to create choppers in gmax, if thats possible in it.Gordon "Tank" SpeirsPilot's Licence - months of training. Buy Aircraft - tens of thousands of dollars. Danger of Death - enormous. Spilling your Ribena in the cockpit whilst preforming a barrel roll - Priceless.

I think it's more a matter of whether or not the pseudo-helo flight model even supports non-governed operation. You might have to wait for FS2004. I dunno.Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums ModeratorRenegade/Seawolf Design Group (RSDG)

Guest simnut

The one thing you have to remember, real life helo flying gives you one, if not THE most important aspect in flying helo's that FS CANNOT give you. Visual depth and perception. You react to what you see, both ahead and periphally. This is what makes the helo's in FS so difficult to fly. Once you over come this aspect.....you will find it easier.Harry

With regards to the helicopter throttle issue, all you have to do is map an axis to 'Prop Pitch.' This works becuase FS uses the controls for propellor settings for the helicopter throttle. I have one of the knobs on my Saitek X45 mapped to this axis.Also, I have to agree with Peter on the subject of motion. Helicopter flying requires a sense of feedback from the controls as well as a sense of motion to help the pilot determine what his machine wants to do, and therefore what innput is required (namely anti-torque).Cheers!