Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

RAID0 vs separate physical disks

nothin like doin it right.... its really great to read that you are having fun When we put the right parts together and tune everything correctly the result is worth the investment and you now have something that will follow you for a good period of time and you wont be lookin for an upgrade in a few monthsenjoy! :(
Thanks Nick, true what you say about making an investment which will then offer you lots of joy!However I'm afraid I was a little bit too fast writing my last post because now after some more testing I seem to suffer from the same problem many other i7 users do with stuttering graphics especially when banking at low altitude. I find this very strange since I never had a more powerful and faster computer but I hope I will find the solution to this by trying all the tips like using BufferPools, JobScheduler etc. One thing in particular I will try next is what is better for FSX - having the CPU running @ 4 GHz with HT off or decrease the speed to maybe somewhere between 3.6-3.8 GHz with HT on. I have been trying to make HT on work @ 4 GHz but that seems almost impossible with my CPU. However I should also do some more reading on overclocking the i7 because for the moment I haven't touched anything else other than the BCLK and the CPU voltage and guess there might be other things as well in BIOS I need to adjust to be able to run with HT enabled but still at a high clockspeed.Will report back here if/when I find the solution and until that I appreciate all the tips I can get :(

Richard Åsberg

Guest Nick_N
Thanks Nick, true what you say about making an investment which will then offer you lots of joy!However I'm afraid I was a little bit too fast writing my last post because now after some more testing I seem to suffer from the same problem many other i7 users do with stuttering graphics especially when banking at low altitude. I find this very strange since I never had a more powerful and faster computer but I hope I will find the solution to this by trying all the tips like using BufferPools, JobScheduler etc. One thing in particular I will try next is what is better for FSX - having the CPU running @ 4 GHz with HT off or decrease the speed to maybe somewhere between 3.6-3.8 GHz with HT on. I have been trying to make HT on work @ 4 GHz but that seems almost impossible with my CPU. However I should also do some more reading on overclocking the i7 because for the moment I haven't touched anything else other than the BCLK and the CPU voltage and guess there might be other things as well in BIOS I need to adjust to be able to run with HT enabled but still at a high clockspeed.Will report back here if/when I find the solution and until that I appreciate all the tips I can get :(
Make sure you have set the BIOS up correctly, shut down the advanced CPU items for clocking and use with FSX, and have correctly load tested using the right software to both test and monitor the temp which must remain below 80c.. I do not have time to post direct instructions.HT has absolutely no use in FSX, none, and that was confirmed. FSX must be tuned for the system. Texture Bandwidth Multiplier Can be between 70 and 90, Bufferpools can be between no entry in the config at all and 100000000 depending on the card. Affinity Mask of 14 or 7 may be of help in cutting down thread collisions which cause stuttersAddons such as UTX and their latest patch for the USA add car traffic which can not be shut down by setting the slider to zero in FSX. To confirm cars are not causing problems in FSX with UTX installed one must disable moving traffic from within the UTX configuration tool. Since the inception of that patch a car traffic setting of 12 is equal to 25 in default FSX. I7 does not mean carte blanche to jack everything sky high especially traffic. The addons, the area and the weather will all contribute to the settings required. Since i7 offers a much higher CPU ability than processors of the past the Vsync frame rate fluctuation issue noted by Phil Taylor and introduced with SP1/2 is seen much more with i7 and therefore locking frames at 25 to 30 tends to be the better choice over running unlimited.

Don't run a raid off the MB HD ports. Follow the link at the top of this thread and see the storage discussion near the bottom of that link. Raid should only be used with a deicated PCIe dedicated hardware controller such as a 3ware card and at least a 256K stipe and 64K clusters during format. Otherwise, use Raptors or Velociraptors individually, one for the OS, and one dedicated to FS with only a single parition spanning the entire drive. Good luck.
Thank you very muchJimmy

Intel® Core™ i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz (Turbo 4.7GHz), 2TB Patriot ViperVP4100 NVMe M.2 SSD , 3TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD, 64GB DDR4/3000MHz Quad ChMemory, EVGA GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ FTW3 HYDRO COPPER GAMING 8GB GDDR6 (Custom Water Block), Samsung QLED 32”, Windows 98😀

Guest Nick_N
Im seeing some reports that disabling HT, leave affinity mask out of the config file and set Texture bandwidth Multiplier to 90 with a frame lock of 28 and bufferpools set to 100000000 on a GTX 280/285 is showing some good results with i7My first impressions with trying it are looking good however I am really limited on time to explore all flight circumstances right now.You may want to bop over to Simviation in the tweaking section and take a look at the threads there

Thanks Nick for all good advice, already find lots of info on this subject Googling for it and actually one of the threads over at Simviation is already in my IE Favourites to be explored as soon as I find the time for it :-)

Richard Åsberg