Sign in to follow this  
Guest RC1977

Pmdg 747-400,..glidscope/localizer

Guest RC1977

hi everyonei purchase the pmdg 747-400 for fs9 3 days ago but im not familiar with the Fmc at all,im lost with that to be honest.i read the menu probably 40 times and still confused to the point that i just want to fly this plane and i dont even care about this fmc for now.What i need help is with the approch,i need to know how to put the radio frequency and the runway heading (crs)so i can align with the runway,something to do with catching the localizer/glidescope.I know with the default planes i open the radio stack and put the radio frequency on nav1 and all the rest but i have no ideahow to to with the pmdg 747.thanksRicky

Hi Ricky,The panel of the 744 has only COM radios.You have to do it via FMC in any case:Option 1.- Program a complete route in the FMC, and once you select an arriving runway in the DEP/ARR page, if that runway has an ILS it will be automatically tuned. (Press then LOC and APP in the MCP to intercept Localizer and capture Glideslope)Option 2.- Open the NAV/RAD page of the FMC and manually enter the ILS frequency and course.

What i need help is with the approch,i need to know how to put the radio frequency and the runway heading (crs)so i can align with the runway,something to do with catching the localizer/glidescope.
Unfortunately real 747-400 gives you no chance to tune ILS manually (like in a 737) by turning knobs, if you want to do it FMC is required. It is really simple however. You can search this forum and find helpful posts which will tell you how to tune ILS frequency manually using the FMC. You should really learn some basics about the FMC - just 10% of it (like initialization) will allow you to do a few key things, this aircraft is not really meant to be flown without FMC even when all you want to do is simple pattern flying around the airport. I believe one of the tutorials that PMDG published for this aircraft steps you through such basic scenario.

Guest SkullxBones

Ricky,Take a look at this series of 9 videos on youtube about programming the FMC in the link below. They are for the 737, but it applies also to your 747. They are very easy to follow and will get you comfortable with the FMC in no time.

Jeff P.

hi everyonei purchase the pmdg 747-400 for fs9 3 days ago but im not familiar with the Fmc at all,im lost with that to be honest.i read the menu probably 40 times and still confused to the point that i just want to fly this plane and i dont even care about this fmc for now.What i need help is with the approch,i need to know how to put the radio frequency and the runway heading (crs)so i can align with the runway,something to do with catching the localizer/glidescope.I know with the default planes i open the radio stack and put the radio frequency on nav1 and all the rest but i have no ideahow to to with the pmdg 747.thanksRicky
Ricky, you bought a very advanced and complex aircraft, it's not some 3 button aircraft like the fsx default planes. I know it's hard in the beginning but you gotta learn how to read the manuals and operate the plane accordingly. Quick tutorials will only teach you so much, there are no easy shortcuts. If you can't understand or don't wanna read the manuals, you should go back to the default fsx aircraft. Also, you should familiarize yourself with the cockpit at this point, not do approaches after 3 days!Good luck though.

Guest RC1977

i got it working now,i watch the tutorial on youtube and that help alot.im reading the manual has i go but but the manual instructions in the approach section is not to helpfull in my opinion.thanks to everyone who help me,im liking this forum already,..quick replys not like some forums that take 3 days to reply :( Ricky

Ricky,I think you've probably vastly underestimated this aircraft. The 744 is a very difficult aircraft to operate if you're used to very simplistic models of airliners like the Microsoft defaults. However I would say that it's much more rewarding to learn to operate this thing accurately! I would recommend to you, that you do my EGLL to KLAX tutotial available from the PMDG OPS pages. It should take you through most of what you need to know on a step by step basis. It's had good feedback, generally from everyone that's used it.http://ops.precisionmanuals.com/wiki/Long_...EGLL_to_KLAX%29You should find it there..Good luckCraig

Craig Read, EGLL