Sign in to follow this  
Guest KenG

FS2004: Blurry or non-blurry

Will FS2004 be blurry free without any config (fs2002) or graphic card modifications?I have a GeForce Ti 4600, Pentium 2.0 and 768 RAM.TJ

Guest UweR

Hi, do you really expect an educated answer to that question?Best Regards, Uwe

Guest moomox

Let's hope that with the new work they've put into DirectX 9.0 that we might see big improvements in fs2004. But a difficult question to answer.

Guest PaulL01

>Will FS2004 be blurry free without any config (fs2002) or>graphic card modifications?>>I have a GeForce Ti 4600, Pentium 2.0 and 768 RAM.>>TJWe really can't know until we have it, but if you want some opinion here: :)As FS9 will continue with the very well done FS2k2 graphic system of displaying Mesh LOD and AG, the "dynamic" blurries or the gradual deteriorating of high resolution mips within the terrain LOD and texture will likely remain for those with "slower" systems (less than 2.4Ghz-P4 etc), and slowly fades away as you approach 4Ghz+(P4) of course as you add high detailed 3rd party scenery and AC it will more than likely manifest it self, kind of ying and yang err yeah. (Cough)"Static" blurries, as can be corrected with use of the video cards Anisotropic filter as well as some help from the FS2k2.cfg tweaks will remain to be seen as some of that control can be "written" into FS9, so we will just have to wait.Also don't look to DX9 to contribute to less "static" blurries as has been discovered by others including self with keen eyes (or eye) DX9 is somewhat poorer in that respect. Rrrrrr

Hey Paul,Off topic, but since we're soliciting opinions here...I'm not sure you saw my post to you in the Hardware forum, so I'll repeat it. With the new Tips and Tricks library on the go (top of this forum), it could really use your previous .cfg settings and other tidbits of your (hard fought :-)) knowledge that went Poof! here in the general forum. If you have a bit of time, I'm sure everyone would appreciate your excellent entries in that new resource.Thanks,Elrond---MS Flight Simulator Tips and TricksEnthused AVSIM Peon - with minor Bucket and Mop duties (they only let me roam near the AVSIM toilets!)

Guest PaulL01

Elrond,I must apologies for not responding, I have been thinking of condensing all those old notes and uploading as you suggested but I must admit I have been somewhat hesitant to post anything like that lately as I get the feeling that not to many want to hear what they don

Guest cwright

Paul, as a long-time sufferer of the dreaded dynamic blurries, I certainly hope FS2004 will bring some relief, particularly as it may be some time before I can buy a new PC. I'm quite pleased that FS2004 will probably use the same scenery engine, as I believe it is fundamentally very good. CFS3 uses a new engine and it's a bit disappointing. It is completely free of dynamic blurring, but the static blurring is dreadful (with default settings it switches to very low mip map resolutions quite close to the aircraft). My guess is that the dynamic blurring in FS is not a fundamental weakness of the FS engine, but rather that it was intentionally set up that way by Microsoft, presumably to improve frame rates and smoothness. Unfortunately on a certain fraction of systems (maybe even quite powerful ones) the dyna-blurs appear as a result, in extreme cases turning nice scenery into a muddy mess. Quite possibly blurred textures has been one of the biggest FS2002 issues, judging by the number of posts about it (they still keep appearing even now), so I'm sure Microsoft are aware of it. One good solution could be to add a setting that allows the user to reach a good compromise between the dyna-blurs and frame rates/smoothness. I'd be more than happy to sacrifice a little smoothness if it got rid of the blurries! Anyway, fingers crossed for FS2004. Certainly some of the new features look superb. To be at last free of the dreaded blurries would be the icing on the cake! Best regards, Chris

No need to apologize Paul - none of us are required to do anything here. While I understand where you're coming from, I don't think you appreciate the value of your continuing tips and tricks to the community. Sure, you're an abrasive SOB ;-) that has the tendency to elicit strong reaction because of your style, but you already knew that (and I feel safe enough pointing out the obvious in a strong way because we're friends - until now :-lol). Despite the above, your advice is universally recognized as pretty darn good simply because you usually take the time to investigate before you speak. That and your meth

As usual Chris, I couldn't agree more with your slider recommendation. Thats exactly what FS needs to be highly tunable for a wide variety of systems. My fingers are crossed as well.Take care,Elrond---MS Flight Simulator Tips and TricksEnthused AVSIM Peon - with minor Bucket and Mop duties (they only let me roam near the AVSIM toilets!)

Guest KenG

If my memory has not deteriorated too much, I remember the author of the initial AVSIM Preview of FS2004 indicated that the slider solution was supposed to be incorporated into FS2004. While it wasn't in the actual preview, the author did state it as his understanding in a response to a post by your's truly.Let's just hope MS does in fact incorporate this feature as it would be the best of both worlds: allowing for better performance on lower-end systems and reduction in blurriness for those with more powerful systems.