Sign in to follow this  
Gizmo

ATI Users a moment of your time please

ATI cards are complete crap in FSX. AA is especially bad compared to nVidia cards.
yep which is why we as a user base need to complain to ATI and get them to fix it the more ppl complain the better :)i have almost no complaints about other games with my 4870 even other CPU limited games run just as well as NV its just FSX where they are REALLY lackingcheersGizmo

Guest laurie0236

hi Folks.I am thinking of updating to a new PC and was going down the Ati route because of the price. The system I had in mind was a Dell Studio XPS with Intel Core i7 with an Ati 4870 card. Has anyone got any experience of using this duo or should I go down the Core i7 with Nvidia.your comments would be appreciated.Laurie

hi Folks.I am thinking of updating to a new PC and was going down the Ati route because of the price. The system I had in mind was a Dell Studio XPS with Intel Core i7 with an Ati 4870 card. Has anyone got any experience of using this duo or should I go down the Core i7 with Nvidia.your comments would be appreciated.Laurie
I'm using an E8500 and the 4870 and I love it (see full specs below) -- so the i7 should work well. But then again I'm running FS9 almost exclusively -- I ran screaming from FSX about 2 months after it was released. Check the hardware forum -- lots of discussions about it there.

ATI cards are complete crap in FSX. AA is especially bad compared to nVidia cards.
AA problems with NVidia cards is why I went ATI and got the 4870x2. However I haven't used the card yet. Now I am worried.

I can tell you right now it won't look as good in regards to anti-aliasing compared to nVidia cards. I'm not saying nVidia cards are overall better, frankly I think both companies are scum, but for pure image quality I wish I had an nVidia card again.

The thing is that I had perfect antialiasing with the GeForce 6600 and the Radeon x1300 in FSX when I had those two cards in the past.What is confusing me is, where did they introduce this issue and how?

I wonder, if the new ATI RV790 (the core of the future HD 4890, which is supposed to be launched on Apr. 6th) will perform better at FSX and will be a match for Nvidia's 9800 GTX+, 260, 285, etc ...See also: Fudzilla: RV790 to become Radeon HD 4890VR-Zone: Radeon HD 4890 To Launch On Apr 6thVR-Zone: Nvidia Plans GTX 275 Against HD 4890
I dout it as this seems to be a driver overhead issue,ATI's drivers just need more CPU cycles to do the same job as Nv's ive been told this by one of there beta testers i was told they wont do anything about it till many ppl complain which is the main reason this thread was born and why everyone who use ATI for FSX should complain about there poor performance in FSXBTW ATI have changed there Survey location seems it now being delt with by AMD http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D27E29B0E3latersGizmo

Hey allWell ive just update to Cat 9.3 http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspxAnd im happy to report that ATI seem to have fixed there issue with Clouds on my 4870 !All driver per 9.3 induce massive stuttering and bouncing frame rate in weather with heavy/overcast clouds or if i got upclose to or flew through dense cloud butthe few test flights ive done since installing these last night show non of the above problems!i would be cool if a few other ATI user here could try these drivers out to see if they help on there systems,but soafar it seem that all the reporting and feedback has done some good a path on the back for all the user here who reported this promblem at a round of applause for ATI for fixing it....its a pitty it took you 6 months of reporting and a negative feedback thread to fix it,just please make sure you dont break it in future releases!Cheerssteve

i would be cool if a few other ATI user here could try these drivers out to see if they help on there systems,Cheerssteve
I'll try them out in an hour or so. Thanks for the heads up, steve.

I have an oc 4850 which I bought because of the FSX menu crashes with my NVidia card. The ATI solved the crashes and I do not seem to see the AA problems highlighted here - although initially it was very frustrating.!One problem I have with FS9 and the ATI card {yes - I still use both} is the very aggravating menu delay. Whenever you select an FS9 menu item, there is a 3 - 4 sec delay when everything stops {curser changes to hour glass etc} before the menu request is activated. Interestingly this does not happen with FSX.Wonder if anyone else has seen this and has a fix?John R

John R:I do not have this problem at all and I'm running FS9 and the same card -- you can check the rest of my specs against yours to see if there's any significant difference -- they're in my sig below.

Chuck,Thanks. Your system's well up on mine {now 2 yrs old} but that should not affect this issue. Only real difference - mine is a 4850 card not the better 4870. I guess its something in the mobo/c2d/graphics card as I was one of the few with NVidia menu crashes with FSX SP2 {and I spent 6 months + trying to resolve that before I went to ATI}. Something I'll have to live with I guess until I do a full re-build.One pointer - when I am flying on VATSIM and fully connected via Squawkbox there is no menu delay in FS9. But as soon as I disconnect from SB2, the menu delay comes back. Odd eh?John R