Sign in to follow this  
Guest rajiv

MD-11 question

Guest rajiv

Guys im making this thread just place some question about the MD-11, i think this would be helpful with other simmer. you guys can add up too.1. I know the Md-11 has a sound " stabilizer trim" when using the trim i cant hear it from the 2dpanel and even in the VC. 2. I recently notice that the when i am starting the engine sequence 3,1 and 2 the auto cargo test doesn't come out on the EAD. did i do something wrong? 3. my throttles are less responsive on the MD11 i cut my power on 50 when landing. which its supposed to be cut at 20ft or slower. 4. Will the Fast auto brake deceleration would be realistic?5. any technique to hand fly this plane?lol!6. what is ballast tanks? and how to i add it on my plane? the MCDU has ZFW beside that is ballast something. whats is this for?thanks Rajiv Murjani

Guest rajiv
Guys im making this thread just place some question about the MD-11, i think this would be helpful with other simmer. you guys can add up too.1. I know the Md-11 has a sound " stabilizer trim" when using the trim i cant hear it from the 2dpanel and even in the VC. 2. I recently notice that the when i am starting the engine sequence 3,1 and 2 the auto cargo test doesn't come out on the EAD. did i do something wrong? 3. my throttles are less responsive on the MD11 i cut my power on 50 when landing. which its supposed to be cut at 20ft or slower. 4. Will the Fast auto brake deceleration would be realistic?5. any technique to hand fly this plane?lol!6. what is ballast tanks? and how to i add it on my plane? the MCDU has ZFW beside that is ballast something. whats is this for?thanks Rajiv Murjani
Simmers? Tech support? any answer pls?Rajiv Murjani

1. There are many posts on the forum about this, the autotrim has to be moving for a certain number of seconds before you here the sound.2. At work so cant test this.3. Retarding thrust at 20ft sounds way too late however I'm going on knowledge of other types. 40 - 50ft works fine for me (Real engine low end spool is slow)4. Yes depending on what aircraft SOP you tend to follow - it's a company option5. Don't know what to say - Fly it like any other Large aircraft. I didn't like it before but am starting to prefer handflying the appr more then with the 744F tho T/O is still poor with the inacurate trim from the FMC 6.It's all in the documention, take a little time to read it.Rob

Rob Prest

Guest rajiv
1. There are many posts on the forum about this, the autotrim has to be moving for a certain number of seconds before you here the sound.2. At work so cant test this.3. Retarding thrust at 20ft sounds way too late however I'm going on knowledge of other types. 40 - 50ft works fine for me (Real engine low end spool is slow)4. Yes depending on what aircraft SOP you tend to follow - it's a company option5. Don't know what to say - Fly it like any other Large aircraft. I didn't like it before but am starting to prefer handflying the appr more then with the 744F tho T/O is still poor with the inacurate trim from the FMC 6.It's all in the documention, take a little time to read it.Rob
thanks for the reply6. really i don't understand what that ballast tanks are for.1. for the sound it wont work i trim all the way up/down and there is no sound3. from the videos in youtube or from a friend of mine in EVA air they cant cut the power early in the MD-11 its drops like a rockone more thing on question.do i have to update the secondary flight plan every couple of hours of flight?Rajiv Murjani

thanks for the reply6. really i don't understand what that ballast tanks are for.1. for the sound it wont work i trim all the way up/down and there is no sound3. from the videos in youtube or from a friend of mine in EVA air they cant cut the power early in the MD-11 its drops like a rockone more thing on question.do i have to update the secondary flight plan every couple of hours of flight?Rajiv Murjani
The trim sound 'Stabalizer motion' only works when the AP is on and the aircraft is trimming itself, I've never had a reason to hold the trim switch in any of my flights for a prolonged period so can't say I've heard it when hand flying. Ballast tank is to help witth cg on longhauls.setting idle thrust at 20ft still seems late for an aircraft of this size. I don't know anyone who has flown her for real so you may be correct. I have flown a lot of hours (LEVEL-D) 767-300, Tristar, when I used to live in the middle east and we never retarded that early. Watch autoland and say what it does.Just want to say I'm new on this type like most people here, so I'm sure others will correct any mistakes, but most of your answers are in the documentationCheersRob

Rob Prest

Guys im making this thread just place some question about the MD-11, i think this would be helpful with other simmer. you guys can add up too.3. my throttles are less responsive on the MD11 i cut my power on 50 when landing. which its supposed to be cut at 20ft or slower. 5. any technique to hand fly this plane?lol!6. what is ballast tanks? and how to i add it on my plane? the MCDU has ZFW beside that is ballast something. whats is this for?thanks Rajiv Murjani
Rajiv: what do you mean with #3?? Normaly you supposed to put the throttles at 50ft to idle, this is because of the long time the engines will need to spool down- this is very true for very heavy MD-11, like in cargo ops, since the N1 will be as high as around 82%!! at max LDGW and Flaps 50 at airports with high elevation (like Mexico, Johannesburg...).But i can also tell you, that not all of the times, it is recommended reduce to idle at 50ft- you will just "feel it" it is better to keep the power on to prevent a hard landing- do u know what i mean:-)?at #5: reduce pilot inputs to the minimum, give the plane time to react, also be ahead of it all, a nice stabilized approach is mandatory, all config changes should be finished by 1000ft AGL. Pitch + power changes in the last 100ft before landing should be small- consider: every power change causes a pitch change too (remeber engine 2 which well above the CG, while eng 1+2 are below the CG).Keep trying you will improve soon/ quickly!at #6: in the normal config, there are no explicit ballast tanks, the plane uses the aux and or tail tank as the ballast tank- i.e.: short flight (less than an hour) with no payload at all, you will have to get 16 tons of ballast fuel to be "isolated" in the upper aux tank to remain in CG limits.RGDSTOM

The trim sound 'Stabalizer motion' only works when the AP is on and the aircraft is trimming itself
No, that sound will come on whenever stab trim is moved more than 2 degrees without interruption, regardless of the fact if it's trimmed by manual input or autopilot. Do note however that the sound is NOT present on ground and the trim rate at high altitude is different compared to low altitude. So at high altitude you'd have to trim for a loooong time to actually hear that sound.
Ballast tank is to help witth cg on longhauls.
Again no, ballast fuel is used on SHORT haul flights with non payload to help the CG. Would be very much inefficient to drag around ballast fuel during normal operations on long haul.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

No, that sound will come on whenever stab trim is moved more than 2 degrees without interruption, regardless of the fact if it's trimmed by manual input or autopilot. Do note however that the sound is NOT present on ground and the trim rate at high altitude is different compared to low altitude. So at high altitude you'd have to trim for a loooong time to actually hear that sound.Again no, ballast fuel is used on SHORT haul flights with non payload to help the CG. Would be very much inefficient to drag around ballast fuel during normal operations on long haul.Regards,Markus
Thanks, I did actually mean to say shorthaul. Regarding the trim in flight, I have never heard this in manual flight and I only hand fly below 3000ft, Is this working properly?Rob

Rob Prest

Thanks, I did actually mean to say shorthaul. Regarding the trim in flight, I have never heard this in manual flight and I only hand fly below 3000ft, Is this working properly?
Yes it is. You have to hold the trim switch for a couple of seconds though to hear it, keep that in mind. Do you use a yoke or joystick button for trim? If so maybe your repeat-setting for these buttons are set too low?Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Yes it is. You have to hold the trim switch for a couple of seconds though to hear it, keep that in mind. Do you use a yoke or joystick button for trim? If so maybe your repeat-setting for these buttons are set too low?Regards,Markus
Hey Markus, I use a Yoke. I only ask due to after rotation I can sometimes have a extreme pitch up due to the FMC trim issue, this results in a need for fairly heavy forward yoke and then a lot of nose down trim to get back under control but I never heard the sound. Anyway I have found if I trim just inside the greenband during preflight and Ignore the suggested FMC trim setting I have no issues.Thanks Rob

Rob Prest