Sign in to follow this  
jwenham

No More OOM for me!

All of you debating about switching to XP pro x64 should go for it! After finishing setting up everything again after switching to x64 from 32 bit I did my test flight that OOm'd evry time on final into KATL (ImagineSim) from Charlotte NC (also ImagineSim) and was very happy it was not cut short by the OOM that I would always get in 32bit. All my addons are working perfectly with no issues with x64. The only problem I have had with x64 XP Pro is that I had to use my sons computer (my old one before this build to do my taxes online as their site was not compatible with x64. So, dont be scared just do it, you wont be sorry. Oh, and I was one that was going to wait for Windows 7 as well. I figured that it would be at least 6 months or so after the release before they had all the bugs worked out. Now I have a great system and can wait as long as it takes for MS to figure out the new OS.Now on to the fun stuff!

Jim Wenham

Guest rdg
All of you debating about switching to XP pro x64 should go for it! After finishing setting up everything again after switching to x64 from 32 bit I did my test flight that OOm'd evry time on final into KATL (ImagineSim) from Charlotte NC (also ImagineSim) and was very happy it was not cut short by the OOM that I would always get in 32bit. All my addons are working perfectly with no issues with x64. The only problem I have had with x64 XP Pro is that I had to use my sons computer (my old one before this build to do my taxes online as their site was not compatible with x64. So, dont be scared just do it, you wont be sorry. Oh, and I was one that was going to wait for Windows 7 as well. I figured that it would be at least 6 months or so after the release before they had all the bugs worked out. Now I have a great system and can wait as long as it takes for MS to figure out the new OS.Now on to the fun stuff!
Nice, but I have to ask. How does FSX being a 32 bit application, benefit from a 64 bit OS? I too had BSOD's and similar problems but that was due to some issues with overclocking. Finally I got it sorted out and all is well. I would switch in a heartbeat if there were any significant benefits.RegardsBob G

Only two apps give an OOM: they are the Coolsky MD80 and ActiveSky Advanced. There are fixes for both of them. :(

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Only two apps give an OOM: they are the Coolsky MD80 and ActiveSky Advanced. There are fixes for both of them. :(
What are the fixes? If your talking about the 3GB/Userva switch, I tried it with no luck. BTW it also happens with Level D 767 and most complex addons. I never saw the OOms till my i7 build because I never could run the sliders high enough to make it happen. Anyway, x64 works great for me!

Jim Wenham

Guest Mower

Err, yeah: well 64 bit is definately the solution to the OOM problem but I woulda gone with VISTA 64, not XP 64...and I did over a year ago and never looked back. AFAIK XP 64 has driver and game compatablilty issues.

What are the fixes? If your talking about the 3GB/Userva switch, I tried it with no luck. BTW it also happens with Level D 767 and most complex addons. I never saw the OOms till my i7 build because I never could run the sliders high enough to make it happen. Anyway, x64 works great for me!
Yeah, 64 bit fixes everything: I've planted the big "i7" seed in my wife's mind, and she's ok with it, soooo a week or two more... :( .. but back to the oom. In XP you need the "/3GB /Userva=2560" entry in the boot.inin plus either FSX SP2 or the FSX.exe file itself to be made "largeaddressaware". These two things together are required to be successful.ASA has a patch which fixed their memory leak. :(

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.