Sign in to follow this  
Guest melf12

After HD Reformat - Fs8 Problem

Guest melf12

I recently had my main 220 Gb HD reformatted by a friend. After the reformat he reduced the number of Partitions from 3 to 2; he renamed them 'C' Partition and 'E' Partition.'C' Drive was intended for Fs9 and General. 'E' Partition to be used for Downloads and Storeage.FS 2004 was installed without any problems, and is fully functional. Then the bombshell! My 'guru' then told me that I could not, under any circumstances use any of the Backups, that I had committed to DVD's!! Because he had changed the Partition Idents. My original Fs9 dedicated Partition had the Ident 'G'. On my 'G' backup were Airport Sceneries etc. And my PSS B772 Aircraft, which I have had on my PC since early 2006. My Airport Sceneries and Utilities such as Heathrow 2008, SB3, FSB 2.3.1 installed without mishap since I had Serial numbers secreted away on a Floppy disc.The PSS B772LR situation is a disaster....PSS is no more, it's gone out of business. No chance whatever of retrieving my PSS B772LR!Now my question. I have an empty USB 160 Gb HD. I'm wondering that if I renamed the USB HD from it's existing 'H' Ident to 'G' - would it be safe to transfer my T7 Folders to that drive then Copy Paste into my 'C'\Programs\Microsoft Games\Fs9 Folder?Any help would be greatly appreciated.NB. It's an Fs9 Problem :)Ken

I recently had my main 220 Gb HD reformatted by a friend. After the reformat he reduced the number of Partitions from 3 to 2; he renamed them 'C' Partition and 'E' Partition.'C' Drive was intended for Fs9 and General. 'E' Partition to be used for Downloads and Storeage.FS 2004 was installed without any problems, and is fully functional. Then the bombshell! My 'guru' then told me that I could not, under any circumstances use any of the Backups, that I had committed to DVD's!! Because he had changed the Partition Idents. My original Fs9 dedicated Partition had the Ident 'G'. On my 'G' backup were Airport Sceneries etc. And my PSS B772 Aircraft, which I have had on my PC since early 2006. My Airport Sceneries and Utilities such as Heathrow 2008, SB3, FSB 2.3.1 installed without mishap since I had Serial numbers secreted away on a Floppy disc.The PSS B772LR situation is a disaster....PSS is no more, it's gone out of business. No chance whatever of retrieving my PSS B772LR!Now my question. I have an empty USB 160 Gb HD. I'm wondering that if I renamed the USB HD from it's existing 'H' Ident to 'G' - would it be safe to transfer my T7 Folders to that drive then Copy Paste into my 'C'\Programs\Microsoft Games\Fs9 Folder?Any help would be greatly appreciated.NB. It's an Fs9 Problem :)Ken
Unless I am misreading your post, if what you backed up on DVD's are simply copies of your original scenery's and aircraft etc. which you had installed, you should be able to copy and paste individual items to wherever you want. The only problem I can see would be an original installation which may have replaced some default files (textures possibly) or other items which would not be readily apparent. I really cannot see what difference the drive letter would make to simple backups.If however you are speaking of "image" backups, that may well be another story.Keep us posted.

Guest lgvpilot1
Unless I am misreading your post, if what you backed up on DVD's are simply copies of your original scenery's and aircraft etc. which you had installed, you should be able to copy and paste individual items to wherever you want. The only problem I can see would be an original installation which may have replaced some default files (textures possibly) or other items which would not be readily apparent. I really cannot see what difference the drive letter would make to simple backups.If however you are speaking of "image" backups, that may well be another story.Keep us posted.
Following on from what OPA has stated , is your DVD just a straight copy ?Have you tried right clicking on your DVD drive , select "browse" then find the relevant PSS files and copy and paste into your new FS9 To be fair you would need to find the Aircraft, Gauges, and the PSS folder in your main FS9 directory, plus the voronoi.dat fileJust a thought Mark

Guest melf12
Following on from what OPA has stated , is your DVD just a straight copy ?Have you tried right clicking on your DVD drive , select "browse" then find the relevant PSS files and copy and paste into your new FS9 To be fair you would need to find the Aircraft, Gauges, and the PSS folder in your main FS9 directory, plus the voronoi.dat fileJust a thought Mark

Guest melf12

Thank you Opa and Mark for your replies, that is encourageing; I'm plodding through it all, slowly.I'll let you know how I get on later today.Best Regards,Ken

Guest melf12
Thank you Opa and Mark for your replies, that is encourageing; I'm plodding through it all, slowly.I'll let you know how I get on later today.Best Regards,Ken

Ken, Two days ago, in your last post on the PSS forum you said you had given up and were buying the JF 777? If you are still trying to re-install your PSS files, here's a couple of points:1. The fact that you changed the letters of your new partitions makes no difference when you are copying files across from a back-up DVD.2. As we said over on the PSS forum, you can just copy the relevant files from the DVD into the relevant folders in your new FS9 installation and you will have the 777 fully operational. There are many posts on the forum from those that have done it and, as I mentioned before, a "noddy's guide" in one of the highlighted posts.Give it a try - it always works!John R

Guest melf12

Hi Opa and Mark,After several hours of hard work? I have to report a total failure to bring my 'old friend',my PSS B772LR back to life.At the back of my mind I knew that I was, as they say "flogging a dead horse"! PSS aircraft need to be installedby their Installers, they are finnicky to nth degree.So I'm off to to Just Flight to try their version of the B772LR.I've taken a snapshot of my Fs9\Aircraft\PSS drop down list; Mad Scultor just about says it all :( http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc152/g...MadSculptor.jpgOnce again, I really appreciate your advice.By for now,Ken

Hi Opa and Mark,After several hours of hard work? I have to report a total failure to bring my 'old friend',my PSS B772LR back to life.At the back of my mind I knew that I was, as they say "flogging a dead horse"! PSS aircraft need to be installedby their Installers, they are finnicky to nth degree.So I'm off to to Just Flight to try their version of the B772LR.I've taken a snapshot of my Fs9\Aircraft\PSS drop down list; Mad Sculptor just about says it all :( http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc152/g...MadSculptor.jpgOnce again, I really appreciate your advice.By for now,Ken
Ken, Two days ago, in your last post on the PSS forum you said you had given up and were buying the JF 777? If you are still trying to re-install your PSS files, here's a couple of points:1. The fact that you changed the letters of your new partitions makes no difference when you are copying files across from a back-up DVD.2. As we said over on the PSS forum, you can just copy the relevant files from the DVD into the relevant folders in your new FS9 installation and you will have the 777 fully operational. There are many posts on the forum from those that have done it and, as I mentioned before, a "noddy's guide" in one of the highlighted posts.Give it a try - it always works!John R

Ken," PSS aircraft need to be installed by their Installers, they are finnicky to nth degree."Not quite true; in fact quite the reverse. But you should be ok with JF with their auto-installers.John R

Guest melf12
Ken," PSS aircraft need to be installed by their Installers, they are finnicky to nth degree."Not quite true; in fact quite the reverse. But you should be ok with JF with their auto-installers.John R
Hi John,Are you able to send me a PM?Ken