Sign in to follow this  
Guest erwin969

Landing on the same runway as the AI traffic

Guest erwin969

When I'm flying to Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (EHAM) I would like to land on the current runway in use, as in reallife. But when RC gives you an other runway to land, I try to choose the runway that is in use in reallife at that moment. For example 18R. The ATC-er gives me 18C, so I don't see 18R to choose. I notice this runway is in use for my AI traffic. So, how can I choose the same landing runway as my AI traffic?

When I'm flying to Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (EHAM) I would like to land on the current runway in use, as in reallife. But when RC gives you an other runway to land, I try to choose the runway that is in use in reallife at that moment. For example 18R. The ATC-er gives me 18C, so I don't see 18R to choose. I notice this runway is in use for my AI traffic. So, how can I choose the same landing runway as my AI traffic?
you can always choose a different runway. choose it from the menu option. how to choose a different runway is also covered in the manual, and in the tutorialsjd

Guest erwin969

I know, but when I try to choose the runway of my choice, I don't see it in the list.

Guest erwin969

Strange. When I turned off AI Smooth, I see 18R in the list. I also update the makerunways application. So what's happend?

Strange. When I turned off AI Smooth, I see 18R in the list. I also update the makerunways application. So what's happend?
you have to have the current version of makerunways.exe installed, and you have to rebuild the rc scenery database at least once after you install rc. that way i know what your scenery looks like. there is a link at the top of the forum with the download links for fsuipc and makerunways.exejd

Anytime you add or revise scenery using AFCAD for FS9 or other utility, and any time you add airport scenery, run the scenery update tool from within RC. Running makerwys by it self will not update the RC database.In FS9 you can run AFCAD just to see what runways are available in your current scenery. If you are not getting all of these when you can select your runways at approach time, then further troubleshooting is required. You can also open the Controller page for your destination airport to see what runways RC is seeing.I do not know where the AI Smooth database originates if in fact it contains scenery data.

Erwin,You also got to remember that the AI landing on a particular runway may not be the same as what is landing in reallife. RC looks for AI using a particular runway, and also issues you with the same runway as its primary selection. Of course, AI swap and change as they like and a lot can happen within a few minutes.RC could assign you a real world runway each time, but you'll find you'll have more than a few head on collisions with AI when that is the case. But that is also why RC gives you a option to request a runway if you like.Your inability to choose a specific runway is probably due to some scenery or afcad issues, but once that is sorted, you should be able to choose any runway you wish. I just thought I'd provide some insight into how RC chooses runway for you, and that is it not really a guessing game at all :)Subs

Are you flying the default FS EHAM scenery? That would explain your inability to select a real-world runway. Default EHAM is missing the polderbaan (36L/18R) and the headings are shifted as well (so you have 19L 19R, 01L 01R instead of 18L, 18C 18R, 36l, 36C, 36R). Find a decent AFCAD file for schiphol and after installing do an update scenery from within Radar Contact. I'm using a freeware AFCAD from ProjectX which can be found in the avsim library. This should also fix some of the more annoying problems with AI aircraft arrivals/departures, and being assigned to take off from 36R (which is only reachable after taxing via schiphol oost!) .

Without current AFCAD, it's also easy to tell which runway to pick according to the R/W. For example, I haven't seen a airport with a 36L, R, and C. So if you have 36L and 36C, chances are that 36C is 36R. With magnetic variation, you know the 36's are basically going to point in the same direction as the 01's if you don't have the updated AIRAC. So if you want 01R and the FMC or ATC window has only 36L, 36C then 36C would be your pick.