Sign in to follow this  
jonster

LEVEL IN 30 MILES OR LESS

Hi People,I very often get told by the controller "i need you level in xx miles or less". Is there any way to set a ref to this xx miles?As he is not telling me to be level xx miles from a VOR (for example) I can't set a fix.I find I often miss my crossing restriction because of this.RegardsJonster

Hi People,I very often get told by the controller "i need you level in xx miles or less". Is there any way to set a ref to this xx miles?As he is not telling me to be level xx miles from a VOR (for example) I can't set a fix.I find I often miss my crossing restriction because of this.RegardsJonster
if you include a vor within 5 miles of the arrival airport, you won't get this crossing restriction. as far as how to enter this into an fmc, i'm sure it's been covered here before. i'm sure someone will jump in.jd

if you include a vor within 5 miles of the arrival airport, you won't get this crossing restriction. as far as how to enter this into an fmc, i'm sure it's been covered here before. i'm sure someone will jump in.jd
Hi jid,Thanks for the reply but I don't understand. Do you mean a VOR within 5 miles of ARR airport in my flightplan? jonster

Hi jid,Thanks for the reply but I don't understand. Do you mean a VOR within 5 miles of ARR airport in my flightplan? jonster

jd means yes, a VOR within five miles of the destination air in your flight plan.If you have a functioning Boeing 737, 747, both PMDG, and perhaps the Level-D 763, I suggest putting a 40 nm range ring around the destination airport. Here's how to do it:Go to the FMC FIX page. In the scratch pad put your ICAO destination airport code (i.e. KMSP). LSK the line under FIX and in should fill in. In the scratch pad put in /40. LSK the line under rad/dist. It should fill in. Return to your previous page on your FMC.If you look at your ND expanded range to show your destination you'll see a dotted circle around the airport. When you start your descent, at least in the 737NG, you'll see descent trend arcs. You need to adjust airspeed and/or vertical speed so the arcs do not cross over inside the circle where your route line crosses that circle. Just about then you will be contacted by approach where you'll get your expected runway and first vector. After acknowledging it you can elect to follow your own navigation by selecting IAP for the assigned runway.You'll also notice a PD or pilot's discretion on the menu. This enables you to delay your initial descent to your calculated TOD or Top Of Descent. You will still have to meet any crossing restrictions issued.

In addition to what Ron said, it is also important to note that RC will make sure that a crossing reference FROM something in this case will always be a VOR/DME. This function was specifically designed that way so that it doesn't matter if you're flying the home built ultra light, or the latest A380 with redundant GPS and RNP capability - eitherway you as the pilot would still be able to be at a particular spot, as per ATC's instructions, with the most basic of instruments.Note that when you have a VOR within 5nm of the destination, RC may reference that to assign you a crossing requirement from that VORDME. So 40nm, or 30nm, or 20nm, from that VOR all you need is the VOR tuned in with a valid DME reading and a rate of decent calculated manually.Subs

In addition to what Ron said, it is also important to note that RC will make sure that a crossing reference FROM something in this case will always be a VOR/DME. This function was specifically designed that way so that it doesn't matter if you're flying the home built ultra light, or the latest A380 with redundant GPS and RNP capability - eitherway you as the pilot would still be able to be at a particular spot, as per ATC's instructions, with the most basic of instruments.Note that when you have a VOR within 5nm of the destination, RC may reference that to assign you a crossing requirement from that VORDME. So 40nm, or 30nm, or 20nm, from that VOR all you need is the VOR tuned in with a valid DME reading and a rate of decent calculated manually.Subs
Thanks guys for the explanations. I understand now.Jonster

Guest brittanydva238

Where is this P/D option available at? Is it the main setup screen, or somewhere else?

It should be either in the in-flight menu or in the extended menu (9).

Where is this P/D option available at? Is it the main setup screen, or somewhere else?

For me the P/D option only appears when I'm flying and doing the comms.If the co pilot is doing the comms he doesn't seems to get a P/D in the menu.The P/D option appears when you get your first descent intruction from a high flight level.Personally I always try to make sure I'm doing comms well before TOD as RC4 always wants me down well before my FMC or Rule of Thumb does.I've never yet had to ask for a descent as RC4 always seems to get in first.In real life you often hear requests for descent from high levels.

I do what Ron said but I also put in a new waypoint where the 40nm circle crosses the flight plan route. I then enter 250ks and FL110 or FL100 and I then let the FMC fly to that point with a computed descent path. For me it's the descent from higher alts that is the most problematic with the PD option almost never working/being denied and the TOD being quite a bit before the FMC one.Andy S

Hi Andy,One thing to remember is that the FMS isn't the one that chooses when you're at ToD - its ATC. The FMC is simply a tool to help the pilot fly efficiently and safely, but ATC will start your decent based on 'the big picture', ie. conflicts and airspace structures. The controller hasn't a clue where the FMC calculated ToD point is, and they don't care. Sometimes they give you the option to decend when ready though, depending on conflicts and airspace.In RC, I believe you must have the comms in order to see the PD option available. If it's your intention to ask for a PD, then take the comms just before or around your estimated ToD point. You may or may not get that PD approved. And afterwards, you can give the comms back to the right-seat. But remember to have the PD option showing, you must have the comms.Subs

jd means yes, a VOR within five miles of the destination air in your flight plan.If you have a functioning Boeing 737, 747, both PMDG, and perhaps the Level-D 763, I suggest putting a 40 nm range ring around the destination airport. Here's how to do it:Go to the FMC FIX page. In the scratch pad put your ICAO destination airport code (i.e. KMSP). LSK the line under FIX and in should fill in. In the scratch pad put in /40. LSK the line under rad/dist. It should fill in. Return to your previous page on your FMC.If you look at your ND expanded range to show your destination you'll see a dotted circle around the airport. When you start your descent, at least in the 737NG, you'll see descent trend arcs. You need to adjust airspeed and/or vertical speed so the arcs do not cross over inside the circle where your route line crosses that circle. Just about then you will be contacted by approach where you'll get your expected runway and first vector. After acknowledging it you can elect to follow your own navigation by selecting IAP for the assigned runway.You'll also notice a PD or pilot's discretion on the menu. This enables you to delay your initial descent to your calculated TOD or Top Of Descent. You will still have to meet any crossing restrictions issued.
Or if you are tuned to the destination VOR/DME and it was showing say 90 miles, then take 30 from that and adjust your descent to be at the new level by 60 DME.Neil B