Sign in to follow this  
Guest k7ltf

Tesing bad BGL files

Guest k7ltf

is there a way , or a tool out there that will allow someone to track down a suspect .bgl file that they may think might be currupt? I have a comercial scerenery mesh product and i think that one of the bgl flies is crashing the simulator when it tries to load a flight that one would set up in the create a flight mode. I was thinking it could be easier if there was suh a thing, vs going through all 47 files by hand.Thanks

is there a way , or a tool out there that will allow someone to track down a suspect .bgl file that they may think might be currupt? I have a comercial scerenery mesh product and i think that one of the bgl flies is crashing the simulator when it tries to load a flight that one would set up in the create a flight mode. I was thinking it could be easier if there was suh a thing, vs going through all 47 files by hand.Thanks
I don't know of any utilities but will offer a suggestion. 1. Uncheck the offending scenery2. move all of the suspect BGL's to another folder and create a flight in the area.3. Uncheck all of the other sceneries and re-check the one you want to test. 4. Add the BGL's two at a time. 5. Start up FS and load the flight. 6. Wash, rinse, repeat...You know that if and when you crash, it was one of the two files you just entered. It will take a while, but it's less than 47.HTH,Jim

None that I am aware of. Disable all 47 - by changing the bgl extension to something like bgX.Then add them back in 6 or so at a time (by restoring the bgl extension) and test the results after each add-in.Tedious I know, but if one of them is the culprit, it will show up sooner or later and at least you have narrowed down the serach to the last 6 you re-activated.Been there- done that!! :(

Having done it more than a few times, I think you'll find it goes fastest when you isolate them all as recommended above, and then put half of them in at a time. (On the very first trial, you'll already know that 23 or 24 of your suspect files are OK). Continue that way--50% at a time--it goes faster than you think. I once had to test my entire holdings of a thousand or more mesh files. Took less than an hour to finger the bad guy. Like the NCAA basketball tournament--thrilling when it came down to the semi-finals. Well worth it, too, to get rid of a 20-mile high emerald-colored mountain sticking up like a cathedral spire on the western shores of the Caspian sea. Bill

Guest Tingoose

Yep. . . beat me to it. Do it 50% at a time. It's much quicker. Once you've found which 50% the bgl is in, split that 50% in half and repeat. Mathematically, this means that you will pinpoint the pesky bgl much quicker.I seem to remember that there was a piece of software that claimed to test bgls. Can't remember what it was and whether it worked. Not much help I know but there is definitely something out there!