Sign in to follow this  
benpilot

MD-11 climb to cruise mode

Hey guys!I bought the MD-11 and flew the tutorial flight many times, but I always got the same problem:The CDU doesn't change from climb to cruise mode, it holds the altitude after the TC but if I reach the TD, the aircraft still holds FL 370, and no path deviation indication appears, on the FMS PERF page I'm still on the climb page and no informations are on the cruise page, so could anyone please help me?regards,Ben

Hey guys!I bought the MD-11 and flew the tutorial flight many times, but I always got the same problem:The CDU doesn't change from climb to cruise mode, it holds the altitude after the TC but if I reach the TD, the aircraft still holds FL 370, and no path deviation indication appears, on the FMS PERF page I'm still on the climb page and no informations are on the cruise page, so could anyone please help me?regards,Ben
Have you made sure you have entered the correct Crz alt on the INIT Page?Rob

Rob Prest

Most common error: Check the altitude readout above the altimeter tape on the PFD. If the number is white that means it is not a fpln setting... go to the init page and reset the cruise to 037. What probably happen in when you set the altitude with the dial you over dialed, and if it stayed above 37000 for more than a second then the MCDU changes the cruise to that higher setting. Easy fix once you find it.

Dan Downs KCRP

Most common error: Check the altitude readout above the altimeter tape on the PFD. If the number is white that means it is not a fpln setting... go to the init page and reset the cruise to 037. What probably happen in when you set the altitude with the dial you over dialed, and if it stayed above 37000 for more than a second then the MCDU changes the cruise to that higher setting. Easy fix once you find it.
You know Dan I thought I was going crazy but that happened last night, FMC CRZ alt was set to 36000 when I was 100% sure I set FL340 I use hardware for the autopilot functions, over dialed then brought it back and thought nothing more of it until I reached crz and noticed.Is this a feature of the real aircraft? seems a bit strange.Rob

Rob Prest

"Is this a feature of the real aircraft? seems a bit strange" - I believe so, else the code to make to so would not have been created. Not strange if you consider it a nice to have feature that allows you to increase cruise altitude, it is only a problem if you are not aware of the feature.

Dan Downs KCRP

"Is this a feature of the real aircraft? seems a bit strange" - I believe so, else the code to make to so would not have been created. Not strange if you consider it a nice to have feature that allows you to increase cruise altitude, it is only a problem if you are not aware of the feature.
I think I'm getting this wrong so let me give you an example... During preflight I set a CRZ alt of FL340 into the INIT Page. Then 5 minutes prior to pushback Online ATC told me to expext to be cleared directly to CRZ as traffic out of EDDK was light last night, using my hardware I changed the alt on the glareshield to 34000FT however I slightly went over and hit around 36000FT and few seconds later adjusted it back to 34000FT.Now I look in the FMC and CRZ Alt is reading FL360So are you telling me the aircraft just assumed I wanted a higher altitude without me confirming it? that's precisely why Boeing and Airbus Require a push as I don't want a machine assuming anything.Rob

Rob Prest

I didn't fly when I lived in Germany, but in the US the initial altitude clearance limit is almost always the limit of departure airspace (~ 10000). When departure hands you off to center they will give you either your final cruise or their sector limit (often ~ FL330). I personally have never had departure clear me to a cruise altitude above their airspace... for the simple reason it doesn't belong to them.Also, an EXPECT clearance is not a clearance. That is provided for planning only.

Dan Downs KCRP

I didn't fly when I lived in Germany, but in the US the initial altitude clearance limit is almost always the limit of departure airspace (~ 10000). When departure hands you off to center they will give you either your final cruise or their sector limit (often ~ FL330). I personally have never had departure clear me to a cruise altitude above their airspace... for the simple reason it doesn't belong to them.Also, an EXPECT clearance is not a clearance. That is provided for planning only.
Hey Dan, the way Vatsim overcome issues with lack of full coverage is a Top down service eg If ground is offline at an airport then tower also handles ground, if Tower is offline Approach/departure will also handle tower, ground delivery etc. And in my case Center (or Langen rader in Germany) was handling everything below him in that part of Germany. I feel sorry for the guy's as they sometimes have a huge workload! But yes my initial ALT was 5000FT but since I was already under Center's control and traffic was light I was told to not expect any restrictions.CheersRob

Rob Prest

Guest krullenbol

The PMDG MD11 is not modelled correctly. When FL340 is set on the INIT-page and you dial FL360 on the FCP, a new cruize altitude will be inserted in the FMC. But in the real aircraft, you are warned. When you dial in an altitude above the FMC cruize altitude, "VERT ALERT" will flash a couple of times, before it will climb above its present cruizing altitude.Lets say you have HOLD 34000 in magena and you are cleared to FL360, you set the FCP to FL360. "VERT ALERT" will flash a couple of times on the FMA, then you will get CRZ THRUST 36000 for a second, and then CLB THRUST 36000. When reaching FL360 the FMA will show HOLD 36000. What the PMDG MD11 does when selecting a higher altitude is PROF TO FL360 and then CLB Thrust immediately. This is unrealistic. Floris

The VERT ALERT seems to be working just fine for step climbs Floris. I've found that increasing the crz altitude using just the FCP can get a little tricky at times, but I've always attributed that to my own lack of understanding.

Guest krullenbol
The VERT ALERT seems to be working just fine for step climbs Floris. I've found that increasing the crz altitude using just the FCP can get a little tricky at times, but I've always attributed that to my own lack of understanding.
Did you insert multiple Flightlevels on the INIT-page and S/C on the Flightplan page? Because I didn't.Grtz Floris

If I have multiple cruise altitudes inserted and the FCP is higher than the current level, VERT ALERT pops up and then the plane starts climbing. If I recall, I had inserted multiple levels, although on the short trip, the FMC calculated that the step was not necessary. I'll see if I can reproduce it next time I fly.