Sign in to follow this  
Guest mikpen14

Hand Flying Landing

Guest mikpen14

Just a question for you on what is the best method to disengage the A/P & A/Ts to hand fly the final approach and landing?I have been a flying Concorde for pretty much my entire FS career and the MD11 is all new to me.Thanks

Just a question for you on what is the best method to disengage the A/P & A/Ts to hand fly the final approach and landing?I have been a Flier of Concorde for pretty much my entire FS career and the MD11 is all new to me.Thanks
It's all down to Company SOP. From what I have been told and read, most company's suggest A/T off to hand fly the final part of the approach after a number of landing incidents. (Plenty of info on the web to read)As far as the method to do this, I have assigned a A/P Disco button to my yoke (first push to disengage, second push to shut betty up) and a button on my thrust levers to disconnect the A/T. Still trying to get used to a silent A/T disconnect after flying Boeing.Rob

Rob Prest

Guest PPSFA
Just a question for you on what is the best method to disengage the A/P & A/Ts to hand fly the final approach and landing?I have been a flying Concorde for pretty much my entire FS career and the MD11 is all new to me.Thanks
As the other poster mentioned, it depends on company SOP. Some require you to 'hand fly' anytime you are below 10,000 ft, others want the AP flying to 500ft. In FS you can do what you want. Personally I like hand flying so as soon as I cross 10K I usually grab the controls. I fly in multiplayer with a guy that never turns off the AP until the plane comes to a stop on the runway, to each his own, there is no right or wrong way in FS

Guest mikpen14

Thanks for the replies fellas, I guess I should have been more clear, but I was on my descent into Zurich from Heathrow when I wrote the first post.I wanted to know how do I turn off (shut up)"######N Beatty" once I disengage the A/T and A/P ? I hear her all the way in.

Thanks for the replies fellas, I guess I should have been more clear, but I was on my descent into Zurich from Heathrow when I wrote the first post.I wanted to know how do I turn off (shut up)"######N Beatty" once I disengage the A/T and A/P ? I hear her all the way in.
Just hit the button you used to disengage the A/P & A/T again to shut her up.

If you are using Z to disconnect the AP, hit it twice to remove the warning box and voice alert. Otherwise, whatever assignment key you are using to turn off the AP, such as a yoke button. Remember not to use the AFS off bars on the FCP, that is not for that purpose. The only AP off in the MD-11 is located on the yoke(s), so no mouse button control exists in sim or real life. You must you use an assignment key. A/T disconnect only requires the one time shut off IIRC. Therefore you don't need to press the A/T off key twice.As far as manual landings go. You can keep A/T on for the whole thing. A/T will retard about 50 feet AGL even in manual flying, but it may be easier to manually control the throttle, which is up to you too. I can't say in real life, but it does seem like most manual landings are done with A/T off. I usually disengage AP when it's time to capture the LOC. That gives me time to review my charts and prepare everything for landings during approach.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest mikpen14

Thanks fellas for the help.Now that I know how to shut Betty up, I should be good to go.

Guest diajohn2

What command is used to shut the autothrottle off?

Guest mikpen14

Assign a key in FSUIPC if you have a registered version, or in FSXs joystick button assignments.