Sign in to follow this  
lluisdc

DC3 ceiling

Hi gents,I am a proud user (since ancient times) of the MAAM DC3 and it is also one of the aircraft of our fleet (http://www.catalonian-airlines.cat/ca/DC3).As long as I remember, this is an unpressurised aircraft and I have always flown it under FL100. However, now I am putting all manuals and technical data toguether and I see in the "CLIMB DATA MAAM Sim R4D.doc" and the "Flight Operation MAAM Sim R4D.doc" that data are given up to FL150. I wonder if this is only for the R4D or is also applicable to the passenger version of the DC3.Thank you for responding.Cheers,Llu

Lluís del Cerro
VATSIM Senior Instructor

Catalonian Airlines

vatsim_5000h.png

Hi LluisWell, you'd certainly not be taking your passengers above FL100... not often, anyway, although it has been done on commercial flights for sure. Not so comfy, though. But the aircraft itself has a service ceiling of approximately 24,000 feet (design spec.. pilots tell me 22,000 feet is more like it). You'd need oxygen up there, of course. The C-47B with its two-stage blowers was specifically designed for the high altitude flying in Nepal over 'The Hump' after WWII. The R4D-6 is the Navy designation of this aircraft.Do get yourself into our forum over at DC-3 Airways (thanks, I got your message). There are many specific charters written for The Hump and for other high alititude journeys, and you'll learn a lot about power management and navigation while mountain flying in the Gooney Bird.Hope this helps.Mark