Sign in to follow this  
Guest yienmaster

"Rate at Which Weather Changes Over Time"?

Guest yienmaster

Can anyone tell me some real world values instead of just having a slider? Say, does maxing the slider create changes in weather every 10 minutes, while the lowest settings (besides never) changes the weather every 6 hours?I'm trying to test it out, but it seems like no matter what I set that as, the weather never changes. Obviously, using real world weather updates every 15 mins, so does the setting apply to the weather preset themes?What setting must weather be set on to see these changes, and are they random or what?Thanks guys. I'm trying to fly in all different kinds of weather, but as it's winter in the US (where i usually fly) I don't want to use real world weather and fly in 0 degree temperatures.

Guest rdg

Yes, I too am interested in this if someone has done any real testing. I am on the last leg of optimizing my machine and FSX. The easy part with the weather is determining the density setting in as far as frame rate hit, but now I need to make a decision on settings for weather change. I have a really good balance now but do not really have a handle on this setting and how much and how fast does this setting affect change.RegardsBob G

I'm not sure how fast it changes, but I do know it does, and I've seen a difference in as little as an hour. Maybe less. IE: I've loaded real weather and had it raining, but if I waited long enoughit would move off and quit. And I believe the wx cells move in the directionsthat the wind was blowing on the last download. But like I say, I've never really paid that much attention.But it does change, no doubt about it. I noticed it more when I only loaded static real weather. That was when I was on a dial up.But with cable, I d/l every 15 minutes, including winds aloft, so would not likely notice it being I expect changes every time the datais updated.

Hi Folksyienmaster -Please see the "Learning Center" in FSX.under -Weather - Changing Weather Settings - Dynamic weather rateHTHATBPaul

Guest yienmaster

Thank you so much! Sorry, the Learning Center is so huge, I don't think I've covered 1/6 of it. Didn't know there were detailed descriptions of all the weather options.

This feature is quite cool if you set it correctly. My favorite thing to play with in FS is weather so I've ofcourse put it through the ringer. The biggest thing to realize is that the weather engine in FS responds to atmospheric conditions pretty much as the real world does. So.. to see a rapid change,first clear the skies by setting the weather theme to clear, then set the "weather changes over time" feature to the fastest setting. Then go to any airport that has a weather reporting station. Do a custom weather setting for only the station you are at and set the temperature to around 90F , the pressure to something low like 28.75 and the dewpoint higher than the temperature in this case 91F. Park your aircraft and shut off the engine so you can hear the thunder. How it works. Ok, because the temp is set high, there is energy via heat. Because the pressure is low all the surrounding atmosphere will be "sucked" into your area. ( You will see clouds coming in from all directions). And because the dew point is set higher than the temp, rain can form. With these settings, clouds will start forming in about 2 or 3 minutes. After that you will start noticing thunder heads in the distance. Within 30 minutes or so(if all goes right) you will have some nasty weather forming. Have fun and I hope this explains things. Also you can do this at multiple weather stations so you can set this to happen at your destination airport and fly into a wet windy mess.Good luck

This feature is quite cool if you set it correctly. My favorite thing to play with in FS is weather so I've ofcourse put it through the ringer. The biggest thing to realize is that the weather engine in FS responds to atmospheric conditions pretty much as the real world does. So.. to see a rapid change,first clear the skies by setting the weather theme to clear, then set the "weather changes over time" feature to the fastest setting. Then go to any airport that has a weather reporting station. Do a custom weather setting for only the station you are at and set the temperature to around 90F , the pressure to something low like 28.75 and the dewpoint higher than the temperature in this case 91F. Park your aircraft and shut off the engine so you can hear the thunder. How it works. Ok, because the temp is set high, there is energy via heat. Because the pressure is low all the surrounding atmosphere will be "sucked" into your area. ( You will see clouds coming in from all directions). And because the dew point is set higher than the temp, rain can form. With these settings, clouds will start forming in about 2 or 3 minutes. After that you will start noticing thunder heads in the distance. Within 30 minutes or so(if all goes right) you will have some nasty weather forming. Have fun and I hope this explains things. Also you can do this at multiple weather stations so you can set this to happen at your destination airport and fly into a wet windy mess.Good luck

I followed your instruction, the clouds came, but can't hear thunder, and rain not coming.

I checked the weather settings and found the Dew point & temperture became same , also pressure went back to 29.92Hg.

No idea what's the problem``

Can anyone tell me some real world values instead of just having a slider? Say, does maxing the slider create changes in weather every 10 minutes, while the lowest settings (besides never) changes the weather every 6 hours?I'm trying to test it out, but it seems like no matter what I set that as, the weather never changes. Obviously, using real world weather updates every 15 mins, so does the setting apply to the weather preset themes?What setting must weather be set on to see these changes, and are they random or what?Thanks guys. I'm trying to fly in all different kinds of weather, but as it's winter in the US (where i usually fly) I don't want to use real world weather and fly in 0 degree temperatures.

Have you considered at third party weather add-on, like REX? You would be glad you did?

If you do try REX or similar, the slider you refer to should be set to "no change".

Of course you could always try the best wx engine available i.e. Opus, and see real weather change before your eyes.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Of course you could always try the best wx engine available i.e. Opus, and see real weather change before your eyes.

Right, it changes instantly. Hope you don't mind cloud popping.

I prefer AS2012 with Smooth Cloud Transitions. No cloud popping at all and the best weather depiction I've seen. You also get a built in weather map and historical weather going back several years. And a bunch of new textures if you wish. The newest beta textures are very nice indeed.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Right, it changes instantly. Hope you don't mind cloud popping.

I prefer AS2012 with Smooth Cloud Transitions. No cloud popping at all and the best weather depiction I've seen. You also get a built in weather map and historical weather going back several years. And a bunch of new textures if you wish. The newest beta textures are very nice indeed.

Hook

Cloud popping (?), I don't have any in Opus. Perhaps it has to do with DX9 vs DX10, I'm using DX10, and everything is better than it ever was in DX9.

To each their own I guess, I much prefer Opus over the competition, speaking from experience of course.

Glen

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Cloud popping (?), I don't have any in Opus.

Out of all the things that annoy me about real world weather, cloud popping tops the list. Some people don't care, some don't notice.

Opus will redraw the entire sky with all new clouds if the METAR changes due to a new update. AS2012 will do it too if you use certain depiction modes, but it looks like they're trying to get rid of that. If Opus has been changed to eliminate this cloud popping, it hasn't been mentioned on Avsim.

Opus has one feature I really like, and that's winds aloft data available in-game. AS2012 has the data available on the weather map, and you can see the patterns of the winds aloft on the built-in weather map.

AS2012 also downloads the weather for the entire world, and this takes a bit more than a minute from clicking on the icon to being able to view the entire world's weather. I often use that to determine where I want to fly that day, or if the weather is too bad on a route I want to fly I can download historical weather and find something I prefer. On this last fight I did very early this morning, yesterday's weather around noon wasn't suitable, but the day before's weather was, so that's what I used. I even had flight planning information for the different weather right in AS2012.

You don't even have to wait the whole minute. Start AS2012, start FSX and set up your flight, and by the time you're in the cockpit the weather is already loaded and being depicted in game.

Historical weather takes a bit longer on the initial download, about 3 minutes.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

With these settings, clouds will start forming in about 2 or 3 minutes. After that you will start noticing thunder heads in the distance.

Interesting! I was unaware FSX had internal "weather progression". I thought the weather either updated from online sources or stayed the same. I wonder if this progression happens when running Opus or AS2012. Then, what would happen if the FSX-generated trend doesn't match what the real weather changed to over that same period?

Clark Janes

pmdg_trijet.jpg

Why would you reply to a topic from 2009.

Why would you fly a sim from 2006?

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!