Sign in to follow this  

Question about video cards....

Hi everyone.I currently have a GeForce 2 64mb video card. I am looking to go out and upgrade. I was wondering if anyone can give me a good idea for one to get that is under about $175. My computer is an Emachines T2260, Athlon 2200 1.8Ghz, 60GB Hard Drive, 256MB DDR Ram.Thanks alot for any help,Tadd Garcia

I don't know if you really need to...really........for the money, how much actual 'punch' are you going to receive, dollor for dollar?I have only half the on-board RAM yours does (mine is a 32 meg board) and yet, I have crisp and clear detail running in 1024x768 res.No jaggies, all fonts on the planes crystal clear, etc.Trees that look like trees given that the sprites in FS2002 are still not totally life-like, etc.I don't beleive that the FS franchise still demands anything near what processing power such boards as ATI is putting out right now. Until the software even remotely catches up to the hardware (of which it has not, to date) I'd sit back, and let the hardware get even more sophisticated all the while, the price plumments.My thoughts...anyway, LOLCheers!Mitch R.

Guest Lindy

I gotta agree with Mitch on this one. But if you're bound and determined to go get a new video card (and the money is just burning a hole in your wallet... :-lol ), wait a little bit longer. I understand nVidia is coming out with their latest and greatest offering in a month or so. After that, you should be able to get a good deal on a card with 128 mg RAM. I would also suggest staying away from any card that says it's "MX" -- those are the light versions and probably would be a waste of money for you.I too am looking to upgrade my video card even though I run a GE 2 Ti card, also 64 mg of RAM. I want one with 128 mgs of RAM but I'm not about to go spend $300 on one! (the current 'low end' prices in my area)Good luck with whatever you decide to do.-Lindy :-beerchug

I'll defer to the experienced lady and gentleman above about your need for a new card. :-)But if you still plan to purchase one immediately, I'd suggest the Radeon 9500 (or Pro if you can afford it). The basic 9500 currently runs in the $145-150 US range, while the Pro runs in the $175-180 US range. You may be able to find a better deal with rebates and the like online or at your local super store. It would be better in the long run to purchase the Pro if you can since its design is much better (based more on the high end 9700).As for the reason: The 9500 is the best current budget card when it comes to Aniso filtering and Anti Aliasing - far surpassing the low and medium range GeForceFX and all Ti cards from NVidia. It also has full support for DirectX 9 games, when they arrive. Any Ti GF4 card does not (including, of course, any GF3 or GF2 class card).For the price, its your best bet. For FS, it'll give you an excellent display.Good luck,Elrond---MS Flight Simulator Tips and TricksEnthused AVSIM Peon - with minor Bucket and Mop duties (they only let me roam near the AVSIM toilets!)

Guest cseidel

I was running a GeForce 2 Ti card and upgraded to a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 card and saw very little difference in clarity or framerates.P4 2.41 gig DDR2100GeForce 4 4200Win 2000Chuck

As I'm in exactly the same position, I've read the replies with interest. Maybe you'd be better off spending that $175 on a faster chip. With the current detailed planes coming out, I'm starting to see a frame-rate drop (especially when using the RealityXP GNS530, with the Trainer running in the background) and am thinking of upgrading to a 2GHz Athlon from my current Athlon XP1800 1.47GHz chip.Food for thought maybe ?Cheers,Alastair

Hmmm, I have to just add my 2 bent cents worth. I have a GEForce 2 MX400 carg with 64 meg aof ram, and get nothing but bluries and Jaggies with the latest 43. drivers....I am trying no to figure out which ones (dirvers) to go back to! My 1.2 Ghz AMD processor with less than the best 512 meg of ram, uhh, and no AGP just PCI to boot! I am thinking of going to a 4Ti as well, but want to wait out the price wars!Ken