Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lennie Lyon

VIRUS WARNING

Guest Lennie Lyon

I clicked on your "Specials:RecentChanges" page and then clicked on "Maps", and I got a window telling to download an "installer. exe" from "mainscan4.com", which I cancelled, but it came up again and refused to go, I tried to shutdown the browser but could not so I had to shutdown using the main switch, when I rebooted it came up again without me selecting the browser so I had to shutdown again, now I have to reformat and reinstall my OP again...........I am not very pleased........ :(

Why do some people insist on wiping there entire machine at the slightest sign of trouble? I will leave it to PMDG to confirm if there is a problem on there site, but no you do not need to reinstall there are hundreds of free applications that will solve your problem....Rob

Rob Prest

I clicked on your "Specials:RecentChanges" page and then clicked on "Maps", and I got a window telling to download an "installer. exe" from "mainscan4.com", which I cancelled, but it came up again and refused to go, I tried to shutdown the browser but could not so I had to shutdown using the main switch, when I rebooted it came up again without me selecting the browser so I had to shutdown again, now I have to reformat and reinstall my OP again...........I am not very pleased........ :(
To shut down a web browser or any other program, you could always use Ctrl-Alt-Delete and there you could do what you want. You don

Guest Lennie Lyon
Why do some people insist on wiping there entire machine at the slightest sign of trouble? I will leave it to PMDG to confirm if there is a problem on there site, but no you do not need to reinstall there are hundreds of free applications that will solve your problem....Rob
The reason I had to reinstall is because I couldn't do anything as it kept coming up with this installer thing when I booted up, and stop me doing anything else...........I wrote this on my tower as my laptop is being reinstalled.........

The reason I had to reinstall is because I couldn't do anything as it kept coming up with this installer thing when I booted up, and stop me doing anything else...........I wrote this on my tower as my laptop is being reinstalled.........
Do you have a link? I have just gone onto the site with a heavily protected work machine and it hasn't detected anything.Rob

Rob Prest

Guest Lennie Lyon
To shut down a web browser or any other program, you could always use Ctrl-Alt-Delete and there you could do what you want. You don

Yes I have AVG it blocked it, but it (the virus) kept tryingI did try Ctrl-Alt-Delete but it just kept pinging and wouldn't stop the program.....http://ops.precisinmanuals.com/special:recentchanges/hope you can find why.......
Just a quick tip, if you ever think you have a virus download a program like hijackthis reboot in safemode and then deal with the issue. A complete wipe should be the very very last resortRob

Rob Prest

Guest GAMER

Many times if you have a nasty virus, that wiping the hard drive is the only choice.Michael P.

Many times if you have a nasty virus, that wiping the hard drive is the only choice.Michael P.
Sorry Michael but that's not true if you know what your doing, trust me I deal with this on commercial basis daily. And even if someones a noob you can find a lot of help online. If things are so severe that you can't even boot in safe mode you can still slave the drive to another machine and sort it from there. I don't get it sometimes, nowadays we are dealing with drives between 500gig to 1TB and people will still wipe everything if the machine wont boot.Rob

Rob Prest

It looks like PMDG just cleaned it up... someone is hacking the wiki server and PMDG is going to solve the problem but in the meantime if you see obvious spam don't click on it. In this case, the page is just a history of updates to the wiki pages and not a history of updates to the products... I'm not sure what you were looking for.This is the fourth problem post I have read with AVG antivirus program. I do not have any opinions of this program, just notice that it seems to cause problems with installation, validation, and running the program and now it failed to block a trojan. Just thought I'd mention it.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest GAMER
It looks like PMDG just cleaned it up... someone is hacking the wiki server and PMDG is going to solve the problem but in the meantime if you see obvious spam don't click on it. In this case, the page is just a history of updates to the wiki pages and not a history of updates to the products... I'm not sure what you were looking for.This is the fourth problem post I have read with AVG antivirus program. I do not have any opinions of this program, just notice that it seems to cause problems with installation, validation, and running the program and now it failed to block a trojan. Just thought I'd mention it.
I recommend NOD32, it works well for me and make sure you have the latest windows updates.Michael P.

Guest 413X3
many times? this is some pretty bad computer fixing advice. and farthest from the truth

Here's the deal:Malware bots are somehow registering bogus accounts on PMDG Ops and then spamming any open editable page with links. It should not be able to start a download automatically though as that requires code - are you guys saying it's actually doing that? I cleaned everything up that I could last night and I never saw it actually try to start a download of an executable file like that.Please send me a forum PM or email immediately if you see this sort of thing happen again, I'll be checking it every day as well, but please do alert me immediately if you see this again.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com