Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

Memory bandwith more important then processorspeed

Hi all,Since a couple of days I have been trying to tune my pc to it's maximum potential.Finally it came down to 2 configs.System :E8500 --> stock 3.15GhzAsus Maximus Extreme moboOCZ 2x 2Gb Platinum memoryXFX 260 Black Edition ( oc ) Thermaltake 700W Power SupplyThermaltake Kandalf Liquid Cooling SystemHaving pushed my system to it's limits I had to slow down the memoryspeed to have the pc running.Here the results :3DMarkVantage ( without PhysX ) :Processor 4.05 GhzMemory 1700 Mhz ( 8/7/7/7/28/82 )Cpu 1084,45 plans/sGpu 32.76 fpsProcessor 4.5 GhzMemory 1600 mhz ( 7/6/6/6/26/72 )Cpu 1218,93 plans/sGpu 31.8 fpsThe same with FSX.FSXBenchmark07 and FrapsProcessor 4.05 GhzMemory 1700 Mhz ( 8/7/7/7/28/82 )Min fps 28Max fps 41Avg fps 31.24Processor 4.5 GhzMemory 1600 mhz ( 7/6/6/6/26/72 )Min fps 27Max fps 44Avg fps 31.49Several times I did the tests to be sure.I have had contact with OCZ about these results.It seems that when scenery gets very detailed more memory bandwith has a more positive influence than more processorspeed.The differences are small in my tests , but keep in mind that with the second config the processorspeed was 12,5% higher , while the memoryspeed was only 6% lower.So when buying a new mobo try buying the fastest memory it can handle and then buy the processor.Many people buy the fastest processor they can get and then buy slower memory than could be used on the mobo.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Guest Nick_N

Been saying it for a long time.. but it does require locating the correct settings in conjuction with the speed such as timing and in the case of Q/P/C2 the northbridge latency through STRAPThe main problem is some people read hardware websites and see information about how memory speed and latency has little result in games... well, there is only one problem with that assessment and that is MSFS is not a game application in the technical definition of a 'game'. As such it DOES respond to higher memory speed/lower timing as any application that takes advantage of that part of the memory subsystemPhil Taylor posted very early on about MSFS and how much it relies on memory speed and timing. The main issue with the application is it produces in laymans terms a scrambled mess for the system to deal with. Therefore the lower the latency and the higher the memory speed, in correct balance with the CPU delivers the best result to the screen.That is not to say people should drop their CPU speed down very low to try and clock memory very high... that is to say people should BUY the motherboard, CPU and the MEMORY to run the highest memspeed/lowest latency stable. Its those who skimp and try to push hardware not really designed to do the job, and, understand how the system works that end up with false results which perpetuate forum myths.The results can not be judged ny any benchmark program simply because the better result is quantified to the visual expereince, something the FPS readout will never display as a linear result with what is experienced on the screen.

So when buying a new mobo try buying the fastest memory it can handle and then buy the processor.Many people buy the fastest processor they can get and then buy slower memory than could be used on the mobo.
I think that is a wonderful, concise summation of a smart approach to component selection sequencing. It seems to me the reason there is any discussion whatsoever about what components or conditions FSX needs to run the best is that FSX is so close to the edge in ALL three areas, heck make that FOUR, of processor speed, memory subsystem speed, GPU and even HDD/file system, that the specific flying situation itself puts demands on the entire system such that at any one moment, ANY ONE of those variables can become the weak link for that moment. That was the Mother of All Run On Sentences :( Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Guest D17S

Once a set of modern components are assembled, FS performance is going to be 95% CPU influenced. Once a modern 7200RPM harddrive/88-9800GT Vcard/4G-ram/64bit op system is established, any remaining 5% available improvement remains (only arguably) ram speed based. And intractably, any 5% difference will always remain only subjectively arguable. (Runnon? - Dang, it's contagious! ~ )

Once a set of modern components are assembled, FS performance is going to be 95% CPU influenced. Once a modern 7200RPM harddrive/88-9800GT Vcard/4G-ram/64bit op system is established, any remaining 5% available improvement remains (only arguably) ram speed based. And intractably, any 5% difference will always remain only subjectively arguable. (Runnon? - Dang, it's contagious! ~ )
Hi Sam,I am running Vista 64 and so far I kinda like it. FSX seems to run best ever, and I don't have even one "tweak" set up in Vista. Just Vista 64 SP1. I am dual booting using the BIOS' F8 BBS popup. I also picked up an EVGA 280GTX since it was down to $289 on newegg. Seems to run everything well so far.Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Sam, I think when it comes to raw frame rate, your analysis applies well. When it comes to smoothness, I think my comment may apply well. A fast CPU can make it all happen faster, but the timing issues, readiness states, delays, etc that can come out of any of the other basic components can affect smoothness. Or so it seems, intuitively, to me.As with discussions with NickN, I like to think "performance" in FSX is a product of IQ + smoothness at an "acceptable" frame rate. When frames get too slow, they become the show stopper. But as we all know, have herky-jerky motion, and fuzzy IQ can be a show stopper even at high frames. Having a high performance experience using this definition arguably is one that most simmers would find the most enjoyable/immersive/whatever.

Noel

Guest D17S
. . . but the timing issues, readiness states, delays, etc that can come out of any of the other basic components can affect smoothness. Or so it seems, intuitively, to me.
Those are all ram/buss related, which in turn relate to ram/buss performance's singular contribution, latency . . . and this contribution remains entirely subjective (or < 5%). We all recognize the frame counter is an irrelevant metric.

Guest Nick_N
Those are all ram/buss related, which in turn relate to ram/buss performance's singular contribution, latency . . . and this contribution remains entirely subjective (or < 5%). We all recognize the frame counter is an irrelevant metric.
http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?s=&...t&p=1529654When you answer the simple questions placed directly to you, then you have a basis to post this nonsense... otherwise the only thing that is subjective here is the suggestion you may actually know what you are talking about.Catch 22If you do answer those questions correctly, you wont have any point to make, which is why you did not answer them when asked and instead continued to market an opinion.

That sounds like a cop out Sam. Stuttering/jerkiness from grossly apparent to subtle can be huge show stoppers to user experience and framing them as subjective in no way detracts from their impact on "performance."

Noel

Guest D17S

". . . Stuttering/jerkiness from grossly apparent to subtle can be huge show stoppers to user experience and framing them as subjective in no way detracts from their impact on "performance."", and once a set of modern components are assembled, FS performance is going to be 95% CPU influenced. Once a modern 7200RPM harddrive/88-9800GT Vcard/4G-ram/64bit op system is established, any remaining 5% available improvement remains (only arguably) ram speed based. And intractably, any 5% difference will always remain only subjectively arguable.

Guest UlfB
I disagree :( Read my post over here: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29276Scroll down, it's the last post (for now at least).The performance boost I get from replacing my old 8800GTX card with a GTX285 OC:ed is obvious. It's up to you to calculate the performance increase in percent :( With the good advice from Nick, I've now completed the build of my new system :( If I should have followed your advice, I'd be stuck with a C2D Quad and a 8800GT card :o

Finally it comes down to hardware that will work with eachother, without a piece that holds performance back ( the wellknown bottleneck ) Also having tuned the software in a proper way will add to better performance and smoothness.If a pc has a q6600 processor than the diffrence between a GTX800 and GTX280 will not make much difference in framerates , like they tested at TomsHardware.However , if you have a faster setup than replacing the "bottleneck" card with a faster one will give a gain in performance , like UlfB found out.It's a pity that there are lots of tweakersforums where people try to achieve the highest processorspeed possible , where on the other hand they have to cut way back on their memory speed to get it running.Helpfull guys like Nick try to make clear what will help and what doesn't.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I disagree :( Read my post over here: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29276Scroll down, it's the last post (for now at least).The performance boost I get from replacing my old 8800GTX card with a GTX285 OC:ed is obvious. It's up to you to calculate the performance increase in percent :( With the good advice from Nick, I've now completed the build of my new system :( If I should have followed your advice, I'd be stuck with a C2D Quad and a 8800GT card :o
Can you quantify the difference between the 8800GT and the GTX285?Jim Harnes

Guest UlfB
Sam,Check this thread out: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtop...42613&st=15How about that?@GSalden: I agree :(

Can you quantify the difference between the 8800GT and the GTX285?Jim Harnes
I read the forum and it looked like more than 25% (on an 8800GTX rather than GT. That is not due to the GTX285 on its own, but rather in a system with best cpu and best memory.RegardsSimon