Sign in to follow this  
hjwalter

Sao Paulo Scenery by Marcato

Jim,I did the same IFR ATC controlled flight from Fernando's SBSP (Congonhas) to SBGL (Jobim) as you did but in a Cessna Citation X and all went well. However, now for the first time I did notice some "rolling bounces" on parts of SBSP runway 17R during take off but as you already have said, It looked more like a normal bumpy runway and wasn't a real problem.The other problems which you seem to have had, especially the dreaded OOMs (out of Memory) errors are not in any way related to Fernando's scenery but are due to so called memory leaks originating somewhere in certain user aircraft. The forum has many threads relating to OOMs.Crashes (blue screens or CTDs) as a result of changing views are something else altogether. They possibly have something to do with your graphics card momentarily requiring extra power from your power supply which can momentarily cause a voltage drop, with unpredictable results. I changed my power supply to one of 750 watts some time ago and that fixed my CTDs and I havn't seen a blue screen since.Do you use a separate sound card or do you use the sound system on your mother board. If so, I would suggest you switch off the mother board sound system in your BIOS and use any simple separate sound card. Improves frame rates too.Good luckHans
Hi Hans,1. Of the top of your head, do you know if the FeelThere/Wilco B737 series (-300/400/500) and the PMDG 737NG series (-600 thru 900) are subject to those memory leaks? If so, that would suck, as those are my two favorite aircraft series, along with the Tinmouse II for the -200 series.2. My system only has a 350w power supply, so that could be a factor. It was custom built, and is totally open, so a new power supply shouldn't be a problem, outside of the cost.3. I use a soundblaster card, and I have disabled the on-board audio.Did you use Feelthere/Wilco's Citation X? If so, what do you think of it?Thanks for your help/suggestions,Jim

Jim Blake
Captain, SWA Virtual Airlines
Real World C172 Pilot, AOPA #06034701
 sig_concordeX.jpg  Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Using all my scenery previously mentioned, I just did the flight from SBSP to SBGL again, using the FeelThere B733, and after turning off RW10, and contacting ground, the sound died, then a CTD w/restart. The module at fault was FE.dll. I have flown this plane all over the USA without this happening....not sure what's going on...anyone know what FE.dll does?Thanks,Jim

Jim Blake

1. Of the top of your head, do you know if the FeelThere/Wilco B737 series (-300/400/500) and the PMDG 737NG series (-600 thru 900) are subject to those memory leaks? If so, that would suck, as those are my two favorite aircraft series, along with the Tinmouse II for the -200 series.2. My system only has a 350w power supply, so that could be a factor. It was custom built, and is totally open, so a new power supply shouldn't be a problem, outside of the cost.3. I use a soundblaster card, and I have disabled the on-board audio.Did you use Feelthere/Wilco's Citation X? If so, what do you think of it?Jim,1. No, I don't use those aircraft myself neither do I have any specific knowledge about possible OOMs being caused by them. Sorry. May I suggest that you open a new thread on that subject because this thread is in fact about something completely different and your question might not be seen here.2. Before you start tinkering with your system, could you not borrow a higher wattage power supply somewhere first because I was only speculating.I use the Eaglesoft Citation X and it's very good. Hans

Using all my scenery previously mentioned, I just did the flight from SBSP to SBGL again, using the FeelThere B733, and after turning off RW10, and contacting ground, the sound died, then a CTD w/restart. The module at fault was FE.dll. I have flown this plane all over the USA without this happening....not sure what's going on...anyone know what FE.dll does?Thanks,Jim,Try an ATC controlled flight from e.g. SBGR (Guarulhos) or any other airport in the vicinity to SBGL and see if that causes the same problem, preferably using any of FS9's standard aircraft. If it does then there is something wrong in your SBGL (Jobim) scenery, most probably double Afcad data, both of which have runways and start locations. Do a check as this can cause all kinds of unpredictable problems, especially in modules.I'm not sure what the module FE.dll itself does but all modules should be seen as program sub routines which are called by the main FS9 program to perform a specific task afterwhich control is passed back to the main FS9 program, which then proceeds further. However, performing their task correctly is totally dependent on the supplied data being in the correct syntax and not being corrupt in any way. This means that the module itself is almost never at fault but how the FS9 program got there and in which situation, remains the big question but sadly, impossible to trace afterwards.No, I would place my money on double Afcad data.Good luckHans

Jim,Try an ATC controlled flight from e.g. SBGR (Guarulhos) or any other airport in the vicinity to SBGL and see if that causes the same problem, preferably using any of FS9's standard aircraft. If it does then there is something wrong in your SBGL (Jobim) scenery, most probably double Afcad data, both of which have runways and start locations. Do a check as this can cause all kinds of unpredictable problems, especially in modules.I'm not sure what the module FE.dll itself does but all modules should be seen as program sub routines which are called by the main FS9 program to perform a specific task afterwhich control is passed back to the main FS9 program, which then proceeds further. However, performing their task correctly is totally dependent on the supplied data being in the correct syntax and not being corrupt in any way. This means that the module itself is almost never at fault but how the FS9 program got there and in which situation, remains the big question but sadly, impossible to trace afterwards.No, I would place my money on double Afcad data.Good luckHans
Hi Hans,I deactivated the SBSP scenery, reactivated the other SBSP scenery I've been using prior to Fernando's scenery, did another flight from SBSP to SBGL using FT's B733, and no crashes occurred. I did some research on the FE.dll crashing problem, and it seems to be related to either scenery or aircraft, but more so with scenery, which in my case would make sense because I never had a problem with the other scenery and using either the FT or PMDG 737s when flying between those two airports. I will do another test flight using the PMDG to see what happens. (Those are my two primary aircraft I fly...I "Luv" the B737 series!)I do not use the default FS aircraft because they are woefully inadequate.I don't know if I'll need a higher wattage power supply, as my experiment last night seems to point to a scenery issue. If my next flight in the PMDG goes smoothly, I will deactivate my current SBSP and reactivate Fernando's to see if my hunch is right about it being a scenery generated error....which would suck because as I mentioned, his rendition of SBSP is the best I've seen yet, but if it causes the crashing problem on my particular system, then I cannot use it.I'll report my findings,Jim

Jim Blake

Hi Hans,I deactivated the SBSP scenery, reactivated the other SBSP scenery I've been using prior to Fernando's scenery, did another flight from SBSP to SBGL using FT's B733, and no crashes occurred. I did some research on the FE.dll crashing problem, and it seems to be related to either scenery or aircraft, but more so with scenery, which in my case would make sense because I never had a problem with the other scenery and using either the FT or PMDG 737s when flying between those two airports. I will do another test flight using the PMDG to see what happens. (Those are my two primary aircraft I fly...I "Luv" the B737 series!)I do not use the default FS aircraft because they are woefully inadequate.I don't know if I'll need a higher wattage power supply, as my experiment last night seems to point to a scenery issue. If my next flight in the PMDG goes smoothly, I will deactivate my current SBSP and reactivate Fernando's to see if my hunch is right about it being a scenery generated error....which would suck because as I mentioned, his rendition of SBSP is the best I've seen yet, but if it causes the crashing problem on my particular system, then I cannot use it.I'll report my findings,Jim
Well, I cannot fly from SBSP to SBGL without FS9 giving me the out of memory message either on final, after landing before turning off the runway, or during taxiing to the gate. I can fly from SBGL or SBRJ to SBSP fine, but when I exit FS after a successful flight, it crashes on exit, most often with util.dll, as previously discussed at the beginning of this thread. I never used to have the out of memory problem, which is happening both with my older SBSP scenery and Marcato's. As mentioned, I also have custom Rio area sceneries and the two airports, and there were never any problems before. Any ideas?Jim

Jim Blake

I'm afraid I've also run out of ideas, even after extensive juggeling around with Marcato's files. The problem is definitely hidden somewhere in his "cgh_xml.bgl" file and I can confirm this because I've replaced all his scenery files beginning with "cgh...", with SBSP scenery files from another author and added the related texture files to Marcato's texture folder. This, in any case technically solved all the crash problems, also those after exiting FS9. The only other option seems to be to stop flying to or from Marcato's SBSP, which would be a great pity. I certainly hope he can resolve the problem though. Which Rio area scenery are you using ? I'm using Fern Marques's latest version and that's very well made but alas, it doesn't include SBGL and I cannot find a separate one anywhere.Hans

I'm afraid I've also run out of ideas, even after extensive juggeling around with Marcato's files. The problem is definitely hidden somewhere in his "cgh_xml.bgl" file and I can confirm this because I've replaced all his scenery files beginning with "cgh...", with SBSP scenery files from another author and added the related texture files to Marcato's texture folder. This, in any case technically solved all the crash problems, also those after exiting FS9. The only other option seems to be to stop flying to or from Marcato's SBSP, which would be a great pity. I certainly hope he can resolve the problem though. Which Rio area scenery are you using ? I'm using Fern Marques's latest version and that's very well made but alas, it doesn't include SBGL and I cannot find a separate one anywhere.Hans
Hi Hans,1. Which SBSP scenery are you using? The other one I have is by Jose Manuel Santos, and is used in combination with SAO2005 - download at http://paginas.terra.com.br/informatica/marcato/sao/1.html If you're using the same one, please let me know so I can try your fix/work-around. (or whichever SBSP you're using besides Marcato's).2. I'm also using Fern's Rio version 8...I've got a couple of other af2.bgl's for SBGL other than the default (they're based on the default)...nothing really outstanding. My SBRJ is excellent...I think I got it off Avsim.Yeah, it would be a pity not to be able to use Marcato's...as I said, it's the best representation I've seen, and going back to the other one really doesn't cut it, visually!Jim

Jim Blake

1. Which SBSP scenery are you using? The other one I have is by Jose Manuel Santos, and is used in combination with SAO2005 - download at http://paginas.terra.com.br/informatica/marcato/sao/1.html If you're using the same one, please let me know so I can try your fix/work-around. (or whichever SBSP you're using besides Marcato's).2. I'm also using Fern's Rio version 8...I've got a couple of other af2.bgl's for SBGL other than the default (they're based on the default)...nothing really outstanding. My SBRJ is excellent...I think I got it off Avsim.Yeah, it would be a pity not to be able to use Marcato's...as I said, it's the best representation I've seen, and going back to the other one really doesn't cut it, visually!Hi Jim,1. I've compared Jose Manuel Santos's SBSP files to what I was experimenting with and it was found to be quite different, so I searched through stacks of DVD backups and in the end found that I was using a rather basic payware version by Tropicalsim, which I had purchased quite some years ago. However, while searching the AVSIM library, I found two freeware updates for it which I downloaded and installed. That did it ..... I immediately uninstalled Marcato's Sao Paulo scenery because trying to merge the two was causing all kinds elevation problems at SBSP although it did solve the crash problem. I also found my old payware SBGR and re-installed that also.So Jim, I'm sorry to say that my merging experiments, also with Jose Manuel Santos's version, didn't work to well and in the end I cannot really recomend it unless you can somehow solve those elevation problems. Having separate Sao Paulo airports is for the moment the best remaining option but as far as I know they are not freeware.2. SBRJ (Santos Dumont) is included in Fern's Rio v.8 scenery and is really quite good although I did add some coconut trees and other objects via the Rwy12 object placement program but only to give it a more tropical look.Let's just hope that Marcato will be able to solve his crash problem soon.Hans

Hi Jim,1. I've compared Jose Manuel Santos's SBSP files to what I was experimenting with and it was found to be quite different, so I searched through stacks of DVD backups and in the end found that I was using a rather basic payware version by Tropicalsim, which I had purchased quite some years ago. However, while searching the AVSIM library, I found two freeware updates for it which I downloaded and installed. That did it ..... I immediately uninstalled Marcato's Sao Paulo scenery because trying to merge the two was causing all kinds elevation problems at SBSP although it did solve the crash problem. I also found my old payware SBGR and re-installed that also.So Jim, I'm sorry to say that my merging experiments, also with Jose Manuel Santos's version, didn't work to well and in the end I cannot really recomend it unless you can somehow solve those elevation problems. Having separate Sao Paulo airports is for the moment the best remaining option but as far as I know they are not freeware.2. SBRJ (Santos Dumont) is included in Fern's Rio v.8 scenery and is really quite good although I did add some coconut trees and other objects via the Rwy12 object placement program but only to give it a more tropical look.Let's just hope that Marcato will be able to solve his crash problem soon.Hans
Hi Hans,Well, that news quite frankly sucks....I hope he can work out the crash problems soon as well. I still have the OOM problem around SBGL, with or without his scenery, that I never used to have, so something else is going on with my system that I'll have to attack one of these days....Jim

Jim Blake

1. Flight from Rio Santos Dumont to SBSP w/PMDG -700 (GOL Livery) - flight went perfectly, all the way through to shutdown at the gate, but FS9 crashed on exit and did a restart.
That's the helipads platforms bug.
2. Flight from SBSP to Rio (Jobim) w/FeelThere -733 (Varig Livery) - flight went perfectly until after I had turned off RW10 @ Jobim. While taxiing to the terminal and switching views to external and back to cockpit, the sound stopped, then FS9 crashed, and did a restart. (I encountered this problem once before on the same flight/same plane, but during climb out from SBSP - switching from cockpit to external view - sound stopped, FS9 crashed and restarted).3. Flight from SBSP to Jobim w/PMDG -700 (Varig Livery) - System ran out of memory during climb out of SBSP (I had been delayed on departure for about 20 mins, so that may have caused the problem, having everything loaded with such dense scenery for a long time). My system has 4GB RAM, and 200GB free space on my 2nd HDD, which is dedicated to FS9.FS9 also crashed on loading the PMDG @ SBSP one time, and did a restart.As I mentioned, I'm also using the Sao Paulo area scenery, as well as customized scenery for the Rio area, including Santos Dumont and Jobim airports. I also have customized sounds for both PMDG and FeelThere 737s.
Those 2 problems occurred too far from my scenery. Is difficult do say if there is any relations with my scenery.Witch changes did you made in Rio scenery?
Ok, the rolling bounce really doesn't bother me that much...some runways are like that in the real world....but I hope a fix is in the works, anyway. I have only noticed this on the takeoff roll, and not the landing rollout, which is weird.
I found a solution for that.Next update will be all ok.
Would it be possible to delete the helipads from the scenery to eliminate the crash on exit?
Unfortunately not.That

That's the helipads platforms bug.Those 2 problems occurred too far from my scenery. Is difficult do say if there is any relations with my scenery.Witch changes did you made in Rio scenery?I found a solution for that.Next update will be all ok.Unfortunately not.That

Jim Blake

1. Is there some possible solution w/the helipads bug and the CTD on exit?
Unfortunate not, our only hope was the 9.1 update, but it was far away from a lot of fs9 bugs.Now with fsX, it

Fernando Mercato is working to solve the problem.For now:In your options menu=> display settings=> SceneryReduce your "terrain texture size:" to "medium".Alternatively make the "Scenery complexity" a maximum of "DENSE"This is a compromise both ways, but should make the scenery run more stable.The scenery will still crash with Scenery complexity set to Extremely Dense.John