Sign in to follow this  
m_av

Virtual Reality

Sounds a bit too good to be true.Link of Tech Interview Video (in HD! :()http://www.gametrailers.com/game/11029.htmlGreat comment I found on the Interview Video Part 2
Interesting technology.... I must admit, very clever idea. But here is my problem with it...Say goodbye to technological leaps in gaming. Without guys like me who spend hundreds of dollars tanking out our gaming rigs to be top notch, where is the incentive to develop top notch cards? If the Wii has proven anything, it is that developers have found it more money smart to spend a small amount on a pathetic little products and make a few bucks as opposed to huge budget games that although sell well, aren't worth all the development costs. I'm not dissing the Wii here, I think Nintendo has put out some truly AAA games, but look at the bus load of other games. Whether we like it or not, they are taking over.This onlive thing just ads to 'expanding market'. But really, it isn't expanding the market, it is changing the market. One thing these developers don't understand is that you can't expand beyond total population. Anyone who wants to play games, already does. Anyone else is an outsider and does not want to play current games. In order to convince them to play, the developers must cater to their needs, but that means CHANGING what currently draws us current gamers.Onlive will just bring about an earlier and greater reduction of quality in games as developers peruse whatever brings them cash. Honestly, money really is the root of all evil, its the reason nothing ever reaches it's full potential in industry.So I say, yay that I will never have to spend tons of money to play the newest games and boo that those games will gradually begin to suck more and more.

Is this where MSFS is heading?
No. Further, the deponent sayeth not.... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It's basically undoing the so-called "PC revolution" which was about decentralizing the computing power.
Exactly, very short and well said. I think that doing this will hit technology companies like AMD, Intel, IBM, nVidia, etc. Very hard if it became popular, and without them, PCs will stay where the are with no advancement in technology, and it would be a big hit to science corporations (such as NASA) if they ran out of business. There are tons of people like me, that are not really excited about this stuff, but are excited about building PCs, and getting new hardware for their own PCs though, so I don't think they will ever get hit that hard.

I find Onlive pretty amazing as a platform. But I don