Sign in to follow this  
BlueStar

PMDG and ASA

I asked this question in the HiFi Sim forum and Jim said I needed to ask PMDG. It is my understanding that there is a conflict with PMDG aircraft that are using ASA. Jim in HiFi indicated that it was a problem that would have to be resolved by PMDG. Is this something that will be resolved in the near future? I currently use ASX. Since I fly B747-400X most of the time I do not want to purchase a new weather program and have problems.Bill

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Guest abulaafia
I asked this question in the HiFi Sim forum and Jim said I needed to ask PMDG. It is my understanding that there is a conflict with PMDG aircraft that are using ASA. Jim in HiFi indicated that it was a problem that would have to be resolved by PMDG. Is this something that will be resolved in the near future? I currently use ASX. Since I fly B747-400X most of the time I do not want to purchase a new weather program and have problems.Bill
I have been using ASA with both the 747x and md11x for months now, no problems whatsoever

I have been using ASA with both the 747x and md11x for months now, no problems whatsoever
Because the MD-11 is so fantastic, I went out and bought FS2Crew and ASA for FSX. My problem is that I've now tried twice to fly EHAM to EDDF and crashed due to out of memory issues. My big problem is trying to figure out what exactly is causing the problem. I did crash once early with just the MD-11 and no other addons running, but I attributed that to it being my first flight and somehow I fubared something on the airplane. I recently installed the 355 patch of ASA and it still crashed when trying that flight last night.I've searched the forum for oom and it returned no results, although in browsing I saw the FS9 thread regarding oom errors, however I have FSX.I have:Intel 3.0ghz2gb ram (good fast gaming ram)WinXP ProFSX SP2PMDG MD-11ASAFS2CrewRadarContact 4.3

I did not really see a question there, just a suggestion that there was a conflict but no details as to what it was. Having said that I have used ASA and the 744X since it came out and the only issue I had was with the wildly changing QNH while cruising at 38,000 feet. My Alt showed 38,000 but online showed me at 36,000 and I had to make a long descent as FSUIPC slowed the correction of the QNH. Then after a while it went back to were it should have been.

I did not really see a question there, just a suggestion that there was a conflict but no details as to what it was. Having said that I have used ASA and the 744X since it came out and the only issue I had was with the wildly changing QNH while cruising at 38,000 feet. My Alt showed 38,000 but online showed me at 36,000 and I had to make a long descent as FSUIPC slowed the correction of the QNH. Then after a while it went back to were it should have been.
The main problem is the extreme wind shift. From what I have read in the HiFi Sim forum is ASA corrects this problem using certain perimeters and this is in conflict to the way the PMDG flight model works. Per the Hi Fi Sim forum the correction would require a coding change by PMDG. I am sure that someone from PMDG or HiFi simulaton could give a detailed explanation to the problem. I am not going to quit using B744X to change to ASA when I am not unhappy with ASX.Bill

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

The main problem is the extreme wind shift. From what I have read in the HiFi Sim forum is ASA corrects this problem using certain perimeters and this is in conflict to the way the PMDG flight model works. Per the Hi Fi Sim forum the correction would require a coding change by PMDG. I am sure that someone from PMDG or HiFi simulaton could give a detailed explanation to the problem. I am not going to quit using B744X to change to ASA when I am not unhappy with ASX.Bill
I don't believe that problem is unique to just PMDG products and affects all products. There was a discussion somewhere on the cause but cant remember where I saw it. To mask the issue simply purchase FSUIPC and it has a wind smoothing built into it (along with many other goodies) and then set how fast you wish the wind to change. I never even notice it now while flying as it is very slow shift. This also corrects the wild swings in QNH as well.

QNH at FL380? 29.92 / 1013 last time I looked...You should have the altimeter set to STD above the transition altitude, regardless of the aircraft...I can understand and have experienced the windshift thing, and use FSUIPC to smooth out that, but QNH shifts above TA?Andrew

QNH at FL380? 29.92 / 1013 last time I looked...You should have the altimeter set to STD above the transition altitude, regardless of the aircraft...I can understand and have experienced the windshift thing, and use FSUIPC to smooth out that, but QNH shifts above TA?Andrew
As Andrew stated you should be in STD above the TA, But Active sky does have an option to force a constant route pressure. A reg version of FSUIPC solves the windshift problem but there are a lot of options you need to set up to get it to workcorrectly.Rob

Rob Prest

Just wanted to clear something up about QNH and Standard settings etc... The STD you're talking about is a datum that ATC use so they don't have to constantly update QNH for aircraft that enter and leave their airspace, it doesn't mean the QNH is actually 2992.. or 1013.. the majority of the time it isn't! In the UK ATC don't want to bother with QNH above 6000 in Amercia it's 18000... With everyone using the same datum it makes life easier for controllers.. and 2992 or 1013 is just the standard pressure they chose... As a consequence.. sudden changes in QNH generated by a tool such as ASA or ASX WILL make very abrupt changes and jumps in altitude... even with an altimeter set to standard.. You've just got a constant datum... that's all..For example... Aircraft is over UK at STD setting.. 2992.... crusing at FL280 (FL meaning above transitions, this is a FLIGHT LEVEL.. not actual altitude above sea leve).. could actually be 27,300 above sea level.... As that same aircraft goes over the atlantic.. it's datum doesn't change.. still STD 2992.. but the actual pressures outside do due to weather variation.. and as a result.. the actual altitude above sea level may now be.. 29200... however since 2992 STD shows 280.. the aircraft is STILL at the assigned FLIGHT LEVEL 280.. If you were to experience this kind of change in weather instantly.. even at 2992 setting you'd see a jump from FL280 to FL299... YOU ARE NOT.. flying at a constant altitude above ground using STD setting... you are actually constantly slightly climbing.. or descending.. depending on pressure variations.. it's just they're so small you don't notice.. However if the tool makes them massive and instant.. you will DEFINITELY.. notice.. this is what the previous poster meant..Hope that makes sense... so basically.. irrespective of using STD or not,you're going to be hit hard by irratic changes in pressure from a weather generator.CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Just wanted to clear something up about QNH and Standard settings etc... The STD you're talking about is a datum that ATC use so they don't have to constantly update QNH for aircraft that enter and leave their airspace, it doesn't mean the QNH is actually 2992.. or 1013.. the majority of the time it isn't! In the UK ATC don't want to bother with QNH above 6000 in Amercia it's 18000... With everyone using the same datum it makes life easier for controllers.. and 2992 or 1013 is just the standard pressure they chose... As a consequence.. sudden changes in QNH generated by a tool such as ASA or ASX WILL make very abrupt changes and jumps in altitude... even with an altimeter set to standard.. You've just got a constant datum... that's all..For example... Aircraft is over UK at STD setting.. 2992.... crusing at FL280 (FL meaning above transitions, this is a FLIGHT LEVEL.. not actual altitude above sea leve).. could actually be 27,300 above sea level.... As that same aircraft goes over the atlantic.. it's datum doesn't change.. still STD 2992.. but the actual pressures outside do due to weather variation.. and as a result.. the actual altitude above sea level may now be.. 29200... however since 2992 STD shows 280.. the aircraft is STILL at the assigned FLIGHT LEVEL 280.. If you were to experience this kind of change in weather instantly.. even at 2992 setting you'd see a jump from FL280 to FL299... YOU ARE NOT.. flying at a constant altitude above ground using STD setting... you are actually constantly slightly climbing.. or descending.. depending on pressure variations.. it's just they're so small you don't notice.. However if the tool makes them massive and instant.. you will DEFINITELY.. notice.. this is what the previous poster meant..Hope that makes sense... so basically.. irrespective of using STD or not,you're going to be hit hard by irratic changes in pressure from a weather generator.CheersCraig
CraigThat makes perfect sense and should settle that little misunderstanding once and for all.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Very well put and is exactly what happens. It is okay if everyone is flying at the same but due to different programs, etc they aren't and controllers on VATSIM soon start yelling with major variances because they don't know your actual pressure is not the same as everyone else's.

Guest swanrunner
I am using ASA with the beta update and wind smoothing in ASA enabled. Had some wind shift problems but the patch solved it. The only problem which I posted on HiFi's forum is that once in awhile you hit a temp bump where the temp instantly jumps to standard 15C for 2 or 3 min then back to normal even at high altitudes causing over temp EGT readings. Hopefully will be fixed in the next update. I am using both the 747 and MD11 have not noticed a compatibility issue with PMDG. John