Sign in to follow this  
MatthewS

X-Plane wish list

There is a lot of discussion about X-Plane in the thread Austin (X-Plane) writes about MSFS.Maybe it would be beneficial to have a wish list thread so that Laminar Research can get a better understanding of what FS9/FSX users do not like about X-Plane.After a couple of weeks we could summarize this thread and send Laminar Research a succinct email describing the short comings of X-Plane from a FS9/FSX users perspective.Note that the current version of X-Plane is 9.22 a demo of which is available here:-http://www.x-plane.com/demo.htmlSince X-Plane has rapidly evolved over the last couple of versions it's probably best to only post wishes to this thread after trying the latest version (9.22)Also, I think your wishes should be listed/numbered in order of importance.

Matthew S

There is a lot of discussion about X-Plane in the thread Austin (X-Plane) writes about MSFS.Maybe it would be beneficial to have a wish list thread so that Laminar Research can get a better understanding of what FS9/FSX users do not like about X-Plane.After a couple of weeks we could summarize this thread and send Laminar Research a succinct email describing the short comings of X-Plane from a FS9/FSX users perspective.Note that the current version of X-Plane is 9.22 a demo of which is available here:-http://www.x-plane.com/demo.htmlSince X-Plane has rapidly evolved over the last couple of versions it's probably best to only post wishes to this thread after trying the latest version (9.22)Also, I think your wishes should be listed/numbered in order of importance.
You already know, that I'm not particularly fond of the flight model. And I'm being very serious about this. X-Planes flight modeling has been touted as the best for many years, yet it falls far short what's been avilable for MSFS through 3rd party addons. The reasons have already been discussed. Yet, when I say that I get irritated after about five minutes, that's exactly what happens. I also prefer 3D virtual cockpits over 2D. X-Plane is going to have to catch up there too. And while we're at it, the GPS's can stand much improvement, as I'm a GPS fanatic. This is not a rant. It's just my feelings at this time. And.........I do have 9.22L.Adamson

Guest lgvpilot1

Okay may not a wish list more of a summary of what will make me buy X-plane I would like to be able to Call for pushback in my 747 after i have make my checks and set the FMC and apu running Have the marshaller signal when clear, call for taxi .Taxi out into a queue of extensive Ai and wait for clearance .Once Im up at my flightlevel , check the passengers are okay , maybe switch on a movie for them Perhaps I should be checking my weather on my ACARS and see what the winds are like in readyness for a VNAV decent .Be nice if ATC confirm the STAR Ive selected and dont stick me in a hold and when I land there is a nice man in a follow me car waiting for me Finally watch the jetty move in,Offload said pax , shut down 747, and get ready for return in a MD11 or 767AS a listPMDG ,Level D standard Aircraftrealistic AIActive airports AES type Ground handlingPro flight Emulator or Radar contact standard ATCFSPassengers FSFlightkeeperAnd as an addition which is something that can only come with time An extensive library of freeware that grows by the day!Okay having re-read this , Im not going to be an X-Plane customer any time soon , am I? Mark

Off the top of my head:*Better views-inside and out and joystick support.*A fsuipc pluggin so I can use some of my expensive hardware-perhaps even add ins that use fsuipc from fs (Wonder if active sky would?).* Ability to have multiple 2d panels e.g. a pop up radio stack, throttle quad etc. Right now planes have to be flown mostly from the center because of this rather than the left seat position.*Much better 3d cockpits-both resolution, lack of blurry and hasbro toy look* Atc-have a look at fsx's for a start* Buildings (generic) at airports and complete taxiways*Autogen that follows the landclass (e.g. no oil refineries in residential areas).* Sharper ground textures low down*Better looks on the outside aircraft and more detail* A selection of default aircraft that really show off what the program is capable of doing-this is very important!* Better comprehensive directions * better ease of finding out/doing things. e.g.-I went to goflight to get a plugin-it was several years old and a beta and did not work well. There was no info readily anywhere where to get an update-I stumbled upon a plugin by accident somehow that works great now, before the stumble thought my hardware was never going to work properly.* A much better selection of communicatons/nav avionics*Either flight models included with default aircraft that really show how wonderful it is, or the ability to take out the overcontrol and tweak fm's to fly by numbers easily*Better traps for memory problems. Perhaps me-but the program crashes all the time if I turn anything including screen resolution up past the defaults*Ai traffic

Maybe it would be beneficial to have a wish list thread so that Laminar Research can get a better understanding of what FS9/FSX users do not like about X-Plane.
In order (more or less) of importance:.Better flight model, both in normal envelope and post stall;.More detailed airports (buildings, etc.);.Seasonal scenery textures;.Improved AI and ATC;.Improved weather system (station based, real volumetric clouds, better turbulence model, better CB/thunderstorms, higher max visibility, etc.);Lower priority:.Better autogen (in terms of type of buildings used for each landclass);.Inbuilt GPS with moving map;.Datarefs for weather and clouds data, so that a realistic WX radar could be developed.Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

*Better traps for memory problems. Perhaps me-but the program crashes all the time if I turn anything including screen resolution up past the defaults
I get similar crashes too, what video card do you have?X-Plane uses OpenGL, and it is strongly recommended to always install latest videocard drivers.Ben Supnik is very receptive to bug reports:http://dev.x-plane.com/support/bugreport.htmlRemember to attach the "log.txt" and "crash_log.txt" files.Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

In order (more or less) of importance:.Better flight model, both in normal envelope and post stall;.More detailed airports (buildings, etc.);.Seasonal scenery textures;.Improved AI and ATC;.Improved weather system (station based, real volumetric clouds, better turbulence model, better CB/thunderstorms, higher max visibility, etc.);Marco
I have had X-Plane through the years. While there are more frequent updates (minor releases) than I can keep up with, there still seems to be the obvious lacking aspects that could make X-Plane an all around dynamic product for those who might desire a different product than FS9 or FSX. The only flight model that I am truly a fan of in X-Plane is the V-22 Osprey freeware that I have been using. Unlike FS9/FSX it doesn't require additional gauges or dll to simulate Vertical Takeoff. - Nice cockpit graphics and impact damage if you lower the nacells while on the ground. Weather - snow is provided by selecting precipitation and lowering the temp below freezing. Snow drifts across the runway in the direction of the wind, yet does not appear anywhere else on the ground.Keith

Keith Guillory

I get similar crashes too, what video card do you have?X-Plane uses OpenGL, and it is strongly recommended to always install latest videocard drivers.Ben Supnik is very receptive to bug reports:http://dev.x-plane.com/support/bugreport.htmlRemember to attach the "log.txt" and "crash_log.txt" files.Marco
I have a 8800 gt nvidia card, latest drivers and it is rare I can go for more than 5 minutes without a complete crash.I did send Ben my log files-have not heard anything yet.From what I can tell-xplane doesn't like higher resolutions like 1920x1200 I run in. I could be wrong....but the constant crashes are real. I even get them in planemaker.

Guest Nils79

AI which is following real schedulesATC comparable with FSA complete worldVariations/regionalization of objects and textures (the last time i tried XP, all places looked very identical to me).SeasonsImproved roadsA better SDKTrains and cars which are not driving into the ground.Improved graphics. For me, X-Plane looks only at a certain altitude decent and everything looks too dark and monotonous.And in general more innovations and less converting.

Updated report. I ran Driver Sweeper and reinstalled my nvidia drivers. Knock on wood but I haven't had a crash since doing so.. :(

this is wrong place, but better GoFlight support. It barely works as is.better autopilotmore buildings at major airports

* better ease of finding out/doing things. e.g.-I went to goflight to get a plugin-it was several years old and a beta and did not work well. There was no info readily anywhere where to get an update-I stumbled upon a plugin by accident somehow that works great now, before the stumble thought my hardware was never going to work properly.
Can you point me to the plugin?thanks!

10700k / Gigabyte 3060