Sign in to follow this  
Guest abent

"Your Computer has run out of available memory"

I added some aircrafts to FS, and FS hung up during startup... it says that my pc is out of available memory. I have Pentium 4 1500Mhz 512RAM 60gb and 40gb hard drivesFs is on C: (60gb). I have about 31gb of free space on C:and I'm using Win MePlease Help.....Thank YouJacek

hi,Yep, I get the same BS error even after I upgraded my memory to 512 mb with most of the simflyers scenery so now I can't fly into LAX without getting the error. I think its something about Windows ME not supporting or not using 512mb of memory so I think its time to upgrade my OS to Windows 2000 or Xp. Andrew

I'm thinking about XP, but my FPS are not so good now, and I heard that with XP they are lower:( Jacek

The problem you describe usually isn't one of actual memory, but a dwindling of resource space... A problem on all 9x systems. While your specific situation might be unique, installing XP would certainly fix any resource errors since XP doesn't have that limitation.Upgrading to XP shouldn't dramatically effect your framerates - the drivers are the most important aspect of that equation. Manufacturers have now had so much time to optimize their XP drivers that framerates are actually a bit faster on XP than 9x these days in my experience. I wouldn't let framerates dissuade you from an XP upgrade... There are too many benefits to doing so to miss out on them because of it.Since I haven't had this exact error in FS, maybe someone else can pinpoint the problem a bit better however.Good luck,Elrond---MS Flight Simulator Tips and TricksEnthused AVSIM Peon - with minor Bucket and Mop duties (they only let me roam near the AVSIM toilets!)

No need to go out and buy XP because of this error alone. I've been running FS2002 under 98 for a long time, and have never received such a message. Your receiving it means something's gone wrong on your system, or your FS install. Since you started getting it after some add-ons were installed, I'd first try to see if you can remove those add-ons. Also, since many add-ons involve downloads, I'd do a good virus scan. Last, I only have 256 megs of memory. No issues at all. As already pointed out, something could be eating at your resources....-JohnI should add, what aircraft did you add? That might give a clue into what's keeping FS from loading...

Hi, thanks for the reply. I add few PAI aircrafts for traffic, 747sp and md81, when I tried to move them out, fs is ok. Then I add them again, fs hung up. So I move out few posky aircrafts, and fs is ok again. I will try to run virusscan.ThanksJacek

Guest abent

I just reinstalled WinMe. I previously had 786DDR PC2700 and after the reinstall WinME would not run FS. It would crash to desktop every time. I took out the 256 stick and it works great now. I can't figure it out. Worked fine for a while, reinstall same OS and it can only use up to 512 - go figure! I was told that Me could only handle 512, but it worked flawlessly for a long time.The reason I reinstalled is that many files including vmm.vxd were corrupted and I could not boot. It may have had something to do with the RAM as vmm.vxd is a virtual memory management file - I think!Adam

Guest abent

Could be Fred. I'll check it out.Thanks, Adam

Also worth noting...win2k or winXP, with a little patience and learning, can be tweaked and optimized to be every bit as fast (for all practical purposes) as 98SE/ME. Try visiting www.techspot.com and check out the OS Optimize guides. There are others, but this is a great start and pretty comprehensive. GinoP4 2.8 @ 3.1GhzAsus P4T533-C with 1010c bios1G Samsung PC1066 RDRAMLSI MegaRAID Elite 1600 RAID-0 w/ 2 Seagate Cheetah X15-36LP 18GPlextor UltraPlex 40Max SCSI CDROMVisionTek GF4 Ti4400 with Det 43.35Turtle Beach Santa CruzLian-Li PC65B caseWin2kPro SP3 with RAID CacheDisk HotFixDX9.0aCH Pro USB Yoke and Rudder (modded to work directly with Cougar)Thrustmaster CougarPrimary Sims:GA - FS2K2 all the way (Fly2 convert...too much $$ now in FS)Modern Combat - Falcon4 SP3 with Aayes pit and hi-rez terrain - Jane's F/A-18 with TSH patchWW2 Combat - IL2-Forgotten Battles (Oh My God!!! AWESOME) - Rowan's Battle of BritainOther - Operation Flashpoint

Guest frankcubillos

Sounds like you are hitting Me's memory limitation, from experience with PAI, 98/Me is lousy at memory management, and adding anymore that 512 is useless. Xp will handle that much better. Once you hit that 512 with fs's aircraft getting loaded into memory it freezes, you have hit the physical limitation of 98/Me.I run XP Pro, quite happy with the smoothness and fluidity of FS.Good luck amigo! :-wave---Banners? We don't need no stinkin' banners!---Visualize PAI sig banner here

Hi Adam,Actually, Win9x (Me included) *can address* up to 1024MB of ram with a few tweaks, but it can only provide application access to 512MB of that - and has a hard time doing even that out of box if you have more. It wasn't designed to address over 512MB initially.If you haven't changed your MaxPhysPage parameter, you'll need to do so. At the same time, you should set your MaxFileCache. This will increase the cache speed of your system and help take advantage of the memory 9x can't use for apps. In the end, 9x can only use 512MB for applications, but Windows itself *can* address the rest. Its been a long time since I seriously tinkered with a 9x system (even though I still dual-boot), so these may not be the only "tweaks" needed... A google search should help you as well. See the following knowledge base articles at MS:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...KB;EN-US;253912http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...KB;EN-US;181862(Because the forum doesn't like ";" in a link, copy and paste the above full lines into your browser's address box).If you ever want to have apps take full advantage of the rest of your ram, you'll have to switch to an NT system (XP being the obvious choice) - or Linux :-).Good luck,Elrond---MS Flight Simulator Tips and TricksEnthused AVSIM Peon - with minor Bucket and Mop duties (they only let me roam near the AVSIM toilets!)

Except for my SOYO Dragon+ with XP or 98SE. The darn MOBO has a problem with more than 512MB (2x256) of memory. With 512MB installed, solid as a rock, put in the next 256MB stick, watch out!!!Now I got two spare sticks of memory!!

Guest abent

Thanks Elrond. It's working really well now so I'll likely stay with the 512 I have installed. My new computer, which will likely be purchased in the next year, will be XP and a really big processor and some more ram.Thanks for the links etc...Adam