Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sky_6

Proper PATTERN flying practice in c172/152..?

"There is an idea for a web site. A place where virtual instructors can teach virtual students using shared cockpits..."There was an idea for doing that a few years back but it never quite got off the ground.By the way-ksdm-Brown Field, San Diego is one of the more unusual ones I flown a pattern at.Pattern altitude on 8R-26L is 600'AGL due to proximity of Mexico (airport boundry is just 1 mile north of the border).

In Australia, some airfields use non-standard circuits because of terrain clearance or to stay out of restricted airspace but I haven't seen one yet (I only have ~24 hours so I haven't seen a lot :-)) that specifies a circuit height _lower_ than 1000 feet AGL. Does anyone know of any?
You mean in Australia or anywhere?For example at KHWD where I learned to fly they have two runways and each one has a different pattern altitude:Pattern altitude: TPA: 600'AGL EXCEPT RWY 10L-28R 800'AGL.This range is very common in USA.

Guest DreamFleet
You mean in Australia or anywhere?For example at KHWD where I learned to fly they have two runways and each one has a different pattern altitude:Pattern altitude: TPA: 600'AGL EXCEPT RWY 10L-28R 800'AGL.This range is very common in USA.
For the most part, in the USA, you are looking at 800' to 1000' AGL for the TPA, with the faster/heavier stuff at 1500' AGL. Of course, there will be some exceptions to this and these will be noted in the AFD or similar publication.When VFR (and we are talking a VFR pattern) your first turn is usually made at 300' below TPA whether staying in the pattern or not.Right or left traffic will also be mentioned in the AFD.At KCDW we are at either 1000' or 1500' AGL depending upon the type of aircraft, and we have both left and right traffic depending upon the runway. In fact, at times, the tower will run both left and right traffic to the same runway, depending upon the location of the aircraft when they call in.Another good source for general information in regards to this is the good ol' AIM. The AFD will provide airport-specific information.

Guest kwilson

I've never come across an Australian airfield that has a circuit altitude other than 1000' for light aircraft. Helicopters, turbo props and jets all have different altitudes.Most Australian fields also have left hand circuits (ie all your turns in the circuit should be to the left). At Coffs Harbour though "Right hand circuits are required when operating on RWY 03, except as directed by ATC" (Local Traffic Reg from ERSA for Coffs Harbour). This is most likely to avoid overflying the town.

That diagram of the airport traffic pattern is just about spot on, with 1 exception. You want you flight path to overfly the middle of the runway, not over the middle of Final. Being a private pilot myself,
I f you are referring to the CAA diagram then the flight path should be as shown. That's the UK standard.

There is an idea for a web site. A place where virtual instructors can teach virtual students using shared cockpits... :-)
Sorry to come in the middle of conversations. If you fly on the Flight Simulator X Multilayer (Shared Skies) you can do shared cockpits and even with g1000 equipped default planes. It works very well, and EVERYTHING that you do shows up on the 2nd person's screen. If you enter in a flight plan in the G1000 or G500 or whatever plane, it will show up in the other plane. Also the systems and little things like lights and switches will be shown. So basically its like the 2nd person is virtually there, in the plane watching (or controlling depending on if you give them the controls :().

For the most part, in the USA, you are looking at 800' to 1000' AGL for the TPA, with the faster/heavier stuff at 1500' AGL. Of course, there will be some exceptions to this and these will be noted in the AFD or similar publication.When VFR (and we are talking a VFR pattern) your first turn is usually made at 300' below TPA whether staying in the pattern or not.Right or left traffic will also be mentioned in the AFD.At KCDW we are at either 1000' or 1500' AGL depending upon the type of aircraft, and we have both left and right traffic depending upon the runway. In fact, at times, the tower will run both left and right traffic to the same runway, depending upon the location of the aircraft when they call in.Another good source for general information in regards to this is the good ol' AIM. The AFD will provide airport-specific information.
Holy moly look who it is!! Well hello!!!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |