Sign in to follow this  
Guest rdg

Weather Engines

Guest rdg

Hi,I have been reading some threads on a couple of the weather utilites and I am really interested in getting something better than stock FSX weather functionality. I am using FEX 512x512 and my slider is @ max - 60 miles. I am really not that interested in most of the advanced weather functions, unless I can instruct the program to not use certain features if they are problematic or consume too many frames. I would not mind getting something like ASA but it seems that this product is so advanced, and it injects so many details into the mix, that I am afraid I will lose the one thing I finally achieved, smoothness. So I dont need a system which understands and simulates Adiabatic processes or Anbatic wind, unless I have control over turning them on and off if they affect smoothness, just like we can do now by moving sliders to the left. One problem I would love to fix is the fog problem. This is a show stopper and has kept me from using even real weather if the fog layer exists. I want something better, but I am not willing to sacrifice 5 fps , or deal with a package that should really still be in Beta or is not well behaved. Am I asking too much?Is there anything out there that may work for me?RegardsBob G

Hi Bob-I'm using a mid-high level machine (AMD 6000+ 3.21 DC) and have had no problem using ASA from a frame/smoothness point of view. You can adjust/turn off just about everything in the program and it also does a great job with fog. They offer a money-back guarantee but I suspect you won't be needing it.Mark

Guest rdg
Hi Bob-I'm using a mid-high level machine (AMD 6000+ 3.21 DC) and have had no problem using ASA from a frame/smoothness point of view. You can adjust/turn off just about everything in the program and it also does a great job with fog. They offer a money-back guarantee but I suspect you won't be needing it.Mark
Hey Mark, Thanks!Do you run ASA on the same machine as FSX? I remember with one of the engines, FS9 I believe that you could run from a client. Anyway you could tell me how much memory is used by ASA from task manager. Just curious how big it is. Money back guarantee. Hmmm, I did not see that advertised on their site. One more question. Does it modify the FSX config, and what does it change? If it does change anything, are these changes mandatory for ASA to function properly? My cfg is very private (-:Thanks a bunchBob

Hey Mark, Thanks!Do you run ASA on the same machine as FSX? I remember with one of the engines, FS9 I believe that you could run from a client. Anyway you could tell me how much memory is used by ASA from task manager. Just curious how big it is. Money back guarantee. Hmmm, I did not see that advertised on their site. One more question. Does it modify the FSX config, and what does it change? If it does change anything, are these changes mandatory for ASA to function properly? My cfg is very private (-:Thanks a bunchBob
I have run ASA on the same computer or on a client and don't see any difference in performance. It takes up about 75 MB ram when running. No entries in the cfg file are detected.

Art

Guest rdg
I have run ASA on the same computer or on a client and don't see any difference in performance. It takes up about 75 MB ram when running. No entries in the cfg file are detected.
Thanks Art!How do you like it?ThanksBob

ASA is the best.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest rdg
ASA is the best.
Hi Paul,I am absolutely blown away. This product works as advertised and I am really pleased. The only issue is figuring out why the warning about the simconnect dll.Tells me I need FSX sp1 or sp2. I do have SP2, but it does not affect the program from working.RegardsBob

Guest dougwells

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on ASA as well.- Did you install the patch for fixing some of the issues discussed when ASA was first released. If not, does it work well for your normal usage?- I'm particularly interested in flying with weather from certain days. For instance, I know last week (Feb 6, 2009) was a low IFR day at my local airport (KSLC). I want to fly FSX under those conditions for the next few sim sessions. Is this relatively easy to do with ASA?Thanks

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on ASA as well.- Did you install the patch for fixing some of the issues discussed when ASA was first released. If not, does it work well for your normal usage?- I'm particularly interested in flying with weather from certain days. For instance, I know last week (Feb 6, 2009) was a low IFR day at my local airport (KSLC). I want to fly FSX under those conditions for the next few sim sessions. Is this relatively easy to do with ASA?Thanks
I noticed that there was a beta update available. Since I'm not presently seeking a solution to a problem, I'm waiting for the update to get out of beta.There is a "historical" button that lets you input a date and time to download weather at some point in time after 2005. This is saved on your computer to be used in offline mode. There are no weather updates as you fly in this mode. Other than setting up simconnect to run ASA on a client computer, everything has been easy. Also, you can use anybody's weather graphics with ASA. I'm satisfied with what FSX provides visually after tweaking with ASA.

Art

I noticed that there was a beta update available. Since I'm not presently seeking a solution to a problem, I'm waiting for the update to get out of beta.There is a "historical" button that lets you input a date and time to download weather at some point in time after 2005. This is saved on your computer to be used in offline mode. There are no weather updates as you fly in this mode. Other than setting up simconnect to run ASA on a client computer, everything has been easy. Also, you can use anybody's weather graphics with ASA. I'm satisfied with what FSX provides visually after tweaking with ASA.
I installed the beta patch because I was getting OOM errors (which it fixed) and I'm now really, very, very happy with this product. The ground haze issue is gone: full overcast is full overcast, from above or below; wind gusts and changes and shears are now quite smooth and there is a better gradient when the weather is refreshed: no big jumps from 2/10ths to 8/10ths, and the sunsets are simply awesome. No regrets. :(

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I installed the beta patch because I was getting OOM errors (which it fixed) and I'm now really, very, very happy with this product. The ground haze issue is gone: full overcast is full overcast, from above or below; wind gusts and changes and shears are now quite smooth and there is a better gradient when the weather is refreshed: no big jumps from 2/10ths to 8/10ths, and the sunsets are simply awesome. No regrets.
Well Paul, it sounds like the patch is important. Can you tell me which of the following options you have checked?General Options:Force Destination Wx ZoneForce High Priority ProcessesWind Options:Enable Direct Wind Control and SmoothingVisibility Options:Fog Layer GenerationDisable Haze LayerEnable Visibility Graduation and Smoothing

Art

Well Paul, it sounds like the patch is important. Can you tell me which of the following options you have checked?
Sure:General Options:Force Destination Wx Zone................................NoForce High Priority Processes.............................YesWind Options:Enable Direct Wind Control and Smoothing.........YesVisibility Options:Fog Layer Generation.......................................YesDisable Haze Layer...........................................NoEnable Visibility Graduation and Smoothing........YesI seem to remember Jim Skorna recommended these setting in response to a similar question.

One problem I would love to fix is the fog problem. This is a show stopper and has kept me from using even real weather if the fog layer exists. Am I asking too much?Is there anything out there that may work for me?RegardsBob G
Hi BobWith regards to the FSX fog layer visible horizon issue you may be interested in this post.Konrad

Konrad

Thanks. That's the way I've got it, perhaps from the recommendations you mentioned. The manual for ASA doesn't seem to make recommendations to the extent ASV6.5 did.

Art

I would also turn Disable Haze Layer on because that helps to get rid of that awful sharp haze layer! And I also installed Soft Horizons (in Konrad's link) which is really AWESOME!!! I bought ASA thinking it would solve those straight horizons, but it didn't... Luckily Soft Horizons came to the rescue: things have never looked better since I installed Soft Horizons. Those sharp en clear horizons really spoiled it for me... But not anymore! Now my skies look really real!